Posted by chestercopperpot 
chestercopperpot
Nathan Steinke
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86

1988 Saab 900 SPG
December 27, 2012 01:08PM
I have too many cars and this one needs to go. I was originally going to use this as a donor for a really nice 85 Turbo that I own, but have decided to go another route with that car.

I have been using it as a daily driver for a few months with no problems.

1988 Saab 900 Turbo SPG 172,xxx Edwardian Grey

First the bad:
-black hood
-Dash lights don't work
-air only blows from the defrost vents and only one blower speed works (high)
-rusty front fenders (see pics)
-typical C900 oil leaks
-Power steering decides not to work sometimes. Works 90% of the time, seems to be no rhyme or reason and I haven't cared enough to investigate.
-The exhaust was falling off when I got it so I removed EVERYTHING and installed a side pipe that exits in front of the passenger side rear tire. It is very loud and sounds awesome. If you consider this a good thing then just pretend this is under the "good" section.
-hatch struts are bad
-idle is very moody when stone cold

The good stuffs:
-CD player with auxiliary input
-Nice Falken Ziex tires
-brakes and suspension are in great shape
-new battery
-new heater control valve and heater hoses
-new spark plugs and wires
-oil and trans fluid changed less than 1000 miles ago
-still has full SPG kit and whale tail (foam on whale tail is questionable but is still there)
-A/C compressor clutch engages and cycles when you turn it on, don't know about actual cooling

Let me know if I missed any crucial info or you have any questions.

Located in Louisville, KY
Asking $1200 but OPEN TO OFFERS.

Call or email Nathan@ (502) 718-8247 or nsteinke1984@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2012 01:22PM by chestercopperpot.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

Re: 1988 Saab 900 SPG
December 31, 2012 04:01PM
Damn. If it wasn't rusty, I didn't have bills, and didn't have an Xratty that needs to be gutted and caged, I'd want that. I don't know what it is about 80's 900's.

Something about something....dirt.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 31, 2012 05:12PM
Houdini91
Damn. If it wasn't rusty, I didn't have bills, and didn't have an Xratty that needs to be gutted and caged, I'd want that. I don't know what it is about 80's 900's.

Add a good clutch plate LSD and they're really amazingly good cars...
Such a shame about the rust...
The Saab 16v turbo is a marvelous motor---very easy to make a reliable car that can clean the tooofies right off 3rd gear.

It is so close to the YB Cossie its not even funny... I built 2 16v and one 8v using YB Cossie pistons. About 140g lighter and it was noticeable.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

December 31, 2012 05:44PM
john vanlandingham
Houdini91

The Saab 16v turbo is a marvelous motor---very easy to make a reliable car that can clean the tooofies right off 3rd gear.

It is so close to the YB Cossie its not even funny... I built 2 16v and one 8v using YB Cossie pistons. About 140g lighter and it was noticeable.

I'll browse CL and see if I can't trade my Tore-Ass in for one. It'll be in about the same condition as the one in this ad, though. Because I'd take good, fast, and interesting over fast and boring. I tell ya hwhat.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/3500751277.html

Dern. This is what I was expecting. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 05:45PM by Houdini91.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 31, 2012 07:36PM
Houdini91
john vanlandingham
Houdini91

I'll browse CL and see if I can't trade my Tore-Ass in for one. It'll be in about the same condition as the one in this ad, though. Because I'd take good, fast, and interesting over fast and boring. I tell ya hwhat.

Turbo is just a T3 and comes out easy.
The big thing is: does it engage reverse with no crunch? The go right into 1st.
Is the oil in the box the correct oil (motor oil 15W40 or 80W NOT GL5 HYPOID stinky stuff)

If the box is good, then that's a good car,

Wheels are 4 on 4 1/4" so Xratty wheels fit...Bilsteins are cheap for 900s.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

December 31, 2012 11:12PM
The great thing about an SPG is there's plenty of room with the hatchback to carry an engine hoist, jack, all your tools, and a spare gearbox for a roadside R&R. grinning smiley

Much like a Subrat, when the boost levels get to serious fun, the gearboxes say, "Hey I was designed in 1967 to handle 80 hp! WTF???" BANG!

Seriously, aside from the fragile gearboxes, they are a fun car to drive! But a V4 96 is funner!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 01, 2013 12:04AM
fiasco
But a V4 96 is funner!

So much fun poor Robert rallymech got all spoiled by the excellent handling and unbelievable grip of the 96 and after driving his in the snow he got lulled into not paying attention in his Toyota PU---and rolled his truck into a little ball all cause of a little tiny bit of ice.

After a 96 everything else is just a mere shadow.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

January 01, 2013 12:52AM
It's funny that almost 13 years after I drove that 96 on the road (l drove it around a little bit after I rescued it from Stoneham, but only a mile or three), it still rates as a high point of stuff I've driven, and that includes brief stints in some Cozzie Fords. Flicking the four on the tree back to second and smoking that Mk 1 GTI on the way back from OtterZone STILL sticks out in the "giggle like a schoolgirl" driving moments -- even more than when I was racing a 70 Torino with my 69 Cougar on the same stretch of road!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 01, 2013 12:28PM
john vanlandingham
Houdini91
john vanlandingham
Houdini91

Turbo is just a T3 and comes out easy.
The big thing is: does it engage reverse with no crunch? The go right into 1st.
Is the oil in the box the correct oil (motor oil 15W40 or 80W NOT GL5 HYPOID stinky stuff)

If the box is good, then that's a good car,

Wheels are 4 on 4 1/4" so Xratty wheels fit...Bilsteins are cheap for 900s.

Sounds nice. Any other parts for an Xratty I can steal from a 900? And from what the ads on CL say, no Saab can go backwards. drinking smiley

fiasco
It's funny that almost 13 years after I drove that 96 on the road (l drove it around a little bit after I rescued it from Stoneham, but only a mile or three), it still rates as a high point of stuff I've driven, and that includes brief stints in some Cozzie Fords. Flicking the four on the tree back to second and smoking that Mk 1 GTI on the way back from OtterZone STILL sticks out in the "giggle like a schoolgirl" driving moments -- even more than when I was racing a 70 Torino with my 69 Cougar on the same stretch of road!

I was seriously thinking about buying a red 96 V4 rally car from one of John's friends. But then....Xratty.
And I raced an Infiniti G35 in my Tore-Ass last week on I-70. Either the owner had tiny balls or that thing was slow, because DAMN.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 01, 2013 05:43PM
in tank pump same on xratty, 900 and 240 as are electric motors for the windows. Radiator and twin flat fans from turbo 900 is the desirable rad in an Xratty. I use the in rad fan switch from 900 or VW and eliminate the annoying Ford junk and wiring.
The window winding gears and shaft is the same stuff and same spline all the way to old 69 96, so that and the handles whe actual winder interchanges with a little creativity.. The old 96 stuff his much higher quality with a hardened pad for thrust surface.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

January 01, 2013 06:48PM
john vanlandingham
in tank pump same on xratty, 900 and 240 as are electric motors for the windows. Radiator and twin flat fans from turbo 900 is the desirable rad in an Xratty. I use the in rad fan switch from 900 or VW and eliminate the annoying Ford junk and wiring.
The window winding gears and shaft is the same stuff and same spline all the way to old 69 96, so that and the handles whe actual winder interchanges with a little creativity.. The old 96 stuff his much higher quality with a hardened pad for thrust surface.

Awesome! Thanks. How are the little ones?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login