Posted by simoniac 
simoniac
Simon Wright
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

LED Light Bars
August 27, 2013 12:19PM

We are very pleased to announce that our LED Light Bars are finally ready and available to purchase! Here is one of our early product shots. The light bars are available in 6 or 12 LED configurations and in white or black housing. Limited availability! See http://usukracing.com/USUK_Racing/LED_Light_Bars.html for more details.

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

Re: LED Light Bars
August 27, 2013 09:10PM
What would be a comparable halogen or hid set up in terms of number of lights?
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 29, 2013 04:24PM
Greg Donovan
What would be a comparable halogen or hid set up in terms of number of lights?

I'll let Simon give the details, but his website says the 10" bars have 4800 lumen output and the 20" bars are 9600 lumens

A typical 55w HID produces about 5000 lumens

Of course, with either setup, it is at least as important WHERE the light goes and is focused as it is how much light output is produced.

Simon, I am curious, having never really played with LED lighting beyond a cheap flashlight, does using the smaller number of larger LEDs give better range/focus than using a larger number of smaller LEDs? I have seen similar lightbars elsewhere and most of them appear to have a large number of smaller LEDs. Does each LED have a projector or lens to focus the beam?

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Creech
Scott Creech
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

August 29, 2013 04:59PM
Remember that Lumens are the TOTAL light output of a given luminare; incandescent or otherwise - including light wavelengths not visible to the human eye.

High output LEDs (or any LED) are tight wavelength compared to your typical halogen. That is why they appear so bright yet still have a "relatively low" lumen-count compared to HID or incandescent. Focus is where the LED falls on its face, and manufacturers have been doing a LOT to overcome this shortfall.

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
simoniac
Simon Wright
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

September 11, 2013 09:38AM
Josh,

Sorry for the delay in responding here. All lights (except laser I suppose) have some amount of scatter. In my opinion the LED bars with many small LEDs (typically 3 watt each) will have much more scatter than bars with larger LEDs. Any flaws in the reflectors and lenses of the small LEDs will have a larger effect on the accuracy of the beam than similar flaws in the larger LEDs. If you can follow that! Also, in manufacturing, the larger reflectors/lenses can be more accurately aligned.

Our LED Light Bars have a definate beam that is observable in the near field. Especially the spot lenses in the middle. In the long field the beams tend to merge a bit and you get more general illumination of distant trees etc.

I did post comparative pictures in the Construction Forum which I will repost here:

We took the rally car over to a dark stretch of road near Umstead State Park to take some comparative photographs of the LED Light Bars. It's very hard to make night shots come out right but we tried to make sure they had equal exposures. The three pictures here show the same stretch of road using the stock high beam lights, the 4,800 lumen 6 LED Light Bar and the 9,600 lumen 12 LED Light Bar.

Simon
USUK Racing

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login