Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Merkur big brakes
August 16, 2007 04:51PM
Anyone interested in a set of JVAB Merkur front big brakes. $500 as complete as they are now. Of course, that means the disc rubs on the crossover bolt and the caliper isn't centered on the disc and there isn't any hardware for anything. Pretty much as they came to me over the course of the last year or two.
But I have a full set of M8X1.00 Wilwood drilled bolts for holding the rotor to the disc, which do not require the countersink on the brake hat to use. Also doesn't have a 1/8-27 NPT to AN-3 adapter to plug into the caliper, but I am going to get those tonight. Also didn't come with brake pads, but I'll throw in a set that are slightly used that I got from a friend, Todd Cook, that designed and built my rear brakes that start to finish took less than a month and fit right away and came with all of the required hardware (TCE out of Mesa, AZ). What needs done to make these right. Well, you have to tap your uprights to M12 by something (I chose M12X1.25 as is used on Subaru stuff), the discs need turned down slightly to the correct diameter and to stop rubbing, and the inside (hub side) face of the brake bells need machined to center the disc correctly. Price will increase as I have to buy more items and pay people to try to get these to a spec that will work on the car.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Merkur big brakes
August 16, 2007 07:08PM
Sorry you seem to be so upset, but come on Grant, I thoiught you were working on rally cars, I didn't know finding M8 allens and all metal locking nuts and NPT/-3 fittings was such a big deal.

Thought I was selling you bells, calipers and discs.

And I figured you must be able to get simple nuts bolts and fittings yourself when you nearly live at Checkpoint.
And the same goes for pads, I figured you have a super deal with them and you no doubt know what you want, I certainly don't.

Also as for the centering, I said that I'm making these so they could be used on US Xratty knuckles to begin with and also work on the 2wd Sapphire with the much bigger bearings, and the pinch style ball joint.

They're a maximum of maybe 2mm off centerline on a US spec knuckle the one way, and if just bolted right to the Sapphire knuckle, max 2mm off center MAX the other.
I siad to you the face and the disc mounting faced were done with extra thickness to allow for taking a mm or so off the hub face, then later taking a couple off the disc mounting.

I'm trying to make it so you buy the thing once and you can use it on the upgraded parts down the road when you decide to upgrade.

Here's the fit on a Sapphire knuckle:

Here's on a Xratty knuckle:

Here's the bridge bolt clearance on a Sapphire knuckle:

And here's the kiss contact on the bridge bolt spacer, a faint mark, on MY Xratty knuckle, with MY caliper which I chased the Willwood's 7/16" holes out to 12.sumpin mm holding center accurately (not saying you didn't but if mines this close, a tiny miscentering when chasing and you could be .5mm more inboard and have more contact.)

It was suggested in the last notes or whatever, the maybe you could just get some Sapphire knuckles since I have stacks of the things--problem solved for exact centering with a select fit washer like comes with some`caliper boxes.

That would make fabbing some nice lower control arms with replaceable spherical bearings for ball joints easier. When you get it that .

But Grant, I have to say, sure seems like a lot of whining over extermely small issues like the M8 bolts and nuts that are so easy to make right, but you've already said you want convenience, so I guess there's not a lot I can do.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 17, 2007 10:15AM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought I was selling you bells, calipers and
> discs.

And that is where the confusion has come from. I thought I was buying a brake upgrade kit.

And yes John, this is a rally car and I've learned my lesson. I approach things from a different point of view than most I suppose. I remember talking to Nick Bouche up in Canada a few years back. He'd just had a pretty big wreck and totaled his car. He and I were chatting and he was telling me that he enjoyed building the cars almost more than actually racing them. Sure it was just post-wreck annoyance, but I can relate. I don't want to build rally cars anymore. I want to drive them.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 17, 2007 10:55AM
NoCoast Wrote:
> john vanlandingham Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thought I was selling you bells, calipers
> and
> > discs.
>
> And that is where the confusion has come from. I
> thought I was buying a brake upgrade kit.
>
> And yes John, this is a rally car and I've learned
> my lesson. I approach things from a different
> point of view than most I suppose.

And Grant I thought in all this stuff I'm doing that I am intending to do those parts which otherwise aren't available, and to be working with you guys out in the field to work out just what was needed, and what the plan is.
Example: yesterday I was on the telephone the 3 guys up in Ontario who are getting my 50mm stuff (and spares!) for various Subarus from a Legacy to GC8 to an '02 thang. Subies haver unusually short front struts and unusually long rear units, so I said to them I am concerned about getting the new, nicer ears welded exactly in the right position so they don't end up with positive camber, and installation, the actually shoving the things in, goes smoothly, and doesn't stress the axles/CVs.
There while talking--not typing--- we easily came to agreement on what we're doing and what is expected to be sent, what needs to be completed.

I remember
> talking to Nick Bouche up in Canada a few years
> back. He'd just had a pretty big wreck and
> totaled his car. He and I were chatting and he
> was telling me that he enjoyed building the cars
> almost more than actually racing them. Sure it
> was just post-wreck annoyance, but I can relate.
> I don't want to build rally cars anymore. I want
> to drive them.

I'm with you there, man, in fact I'm several years ahead of you there and I'm rapidly tiring of breaking my noodle trying to make stuff and then guys never finish their cars so all the extra advice, and hand holding goes down the drain if the stuff never gets seen.
Or worse like your complaints here, essentially a complaint of an inconsequential 1-2mm centering thing* and of a little convenience for you re the commonly available bolts and boom there goes down for all fucking posterity on the Intra-web "It doesn't fit".
Thanks, Grant.
>
> Grant Hughes
> www.nocoastmotorsports.net
> Denver, CO

*remember that was TRYING to set it up so you wouldn't have to buy bells a second time when you finally decide to get the 2wd Cossie knuckles. I've said this often enough to those who I have spoken with.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 17, 2007 03:42PM
See, I could refer back to a post here last March where you're like, I have a ton of these uprights and TCAs coming so get ready. And we all say, sweet, how much. You say, I don't know, but probably around $80 per side. And I said, "Count me in." When you know that I 'should' be using these, why not just send them and tell me what I owe you for them? Sorry if I get a bit annoyed, downtrodden, and bitter about parts that take forever and don't fit without additional modifications on my end. I try to not, but it's hard at times.

Grant Hughes
Tom B
Tom B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

August 17, 2007 06:32PM
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 20, 2007 09:59PM
Weirdest thing. I space the disc out with a washer between hat and disc. Mount to spare upright that's tapped to 7/16-20. Perfect. So I go out and put the whole setup on the car. What the fuck! It's now about 3 mm the opposite direction off center. Measure the offset on both and the two uprights are over a mm of difference.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 21, 2007 01:18AM
NoCoast Wrote:
> Weirdest thing. I space the disc out with a
> washer between hat and disc. Mount to spare
> upright that's tapped to 7/16-20. Perfect. So I
> go out and put the whole setup on the car. What
> the fuck! It's now about 3 mm the opposite
> direction off center. Measure the offset on both
> and the two uprights are over a mm of difference.
>
> Grant Hughes
> www.nocoastmotorsports.net
> Denver, CO

Yeah wierest thing.

Too bad you were bitchin "It's doesn't fit".
I'm packing some 2wd Cossie uprights.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 21, 2007 09:32AM
It didn't fit on one set of uprights. But it did fit on a different set of uprights.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 04, 2007 12:57PM
And the rotor rubs on tie rod boots.

Don't bother on sending Cossie uprights.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 16, 2007 01:24PM
Pad backing plate rubs on hardware and will directly hit the brake bells when pad wears down.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login