Posted by mellow65 
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

Volvo 242, Caged and log booked
June 02, 2014 10:20AM
Yup, maybe you heard the rumors, maybe you didn't, but regardless I'm putting it up for sale.

So what we have here, 1981 Volvo 240 2 door, all the cage and metal work was done by Russ at Racetech. I bought it as a "out of money" project from someone. It's titled, log booked, and currently a roller. I got it with the thoughts of finishing it, but my timing was way off with school and junk. But I didn't want to let it pass through my fingers while I figured out if I could do anything with it right now. So I figure I would pass it on for someone to finish.

As I wasn't part of the build but tried to keep up on all the things that was done to it, I will list all I can, but the more I look at the car, the more things I find.

The cage is one of the more over the top cages I have seen, more tube than is required but it should make you feel safe.

Currently sits an LT1 in the engine bay with a T5. I was exploring the LS engine world for this, and because Volvo sold LS and chevy small blocks engines for their boat line this was a legal swap for RA.

The whole engine assembly is pushed back about 6-8" for better weight balance.

Front subframe is out of a second gen rx7, this gives you a more modern front suspension with aluminum control arms.

JVL super bitchen suspenders on all four corners.

Fancy 4 link with watts link all on a toyota 8" truck axle, has disc brake swap.

ATL 22 gal fuel cell that meets the FIA FT-3 bladder requirement, moved to the back seat area, this. Inclosed fill area that is routed to the side window to keep it all legal.

Seating position is moved back about 8". Steering wheel and pedals moved back also. Brakes are a dual master cylinder set up with a balance bar.

Steering wheel is an OMP with sparco quick release hub.

Brand new set of Lassa 195/65-15

The list goes on and on, I honestly don't think I could give a full list of things that have been done to the car because I haven't seen all of them yet. But everything was done with the idea of strength and overkill.

I have front and rear glass, and side windows in plexiglass, both bumpers and grill and headlights.

$5000

PM me for a number

Here's a link for a bunch of build pictures. The car is currently in Vancouver in the girlfriends garage so if you want to come take a look or want more pictures just let me know.

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/mellow65/library/Volvo

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Volvo 242, Caged and log booked
June 02, 2014 01:31PM
And just imagine the fun that coulda been had if Charles B had not gone totally insane and done all the crazy shit to put that fucking Chevy V8 in there and just kept the original excellent turbo Redblock that makes all the power anybody could ever wish for.

A lesson for all.
"The root of all unhappiness is desire" Boo Duh, a long time ago

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 01:06AM by john vanlandingham.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

June 02, 2014 01:56PM
To whom?

And really there was no crazy stuff done to put the v8 in there. Russ talked him into moving the whole thing back, if that wouldn't have happen, the v8 would been 8 inches forward.

I have one person that contacted me first, but I'll keep you posted.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 02, 2014 04:18PM
The extremes I am considering to get this car...

PM'd.

Enablers, All of you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2014 07:13PM
The really ironic thing is when Charles had picked this up originally he called up like all crazy jazzed up saying he'd been out in his favorite hooning grounds well hooning it up...he said GAWD-DAYUM even with no motor but stock this is a blast to drive----and I did all I could to suggest that just a bit of easy things, and a decent box and 4.3--to 4.63 found in some 4-runners was not just good enuf but worked FINE...

And I pointed out that the PNW already had a certifiably, clinically insane guy with some absurd 240 thing----which still was beat by a certain Mr Buress in a wee little WeeeDubya, so stupidity in the engine is not just not needed, but pointless..

Obviously he listens well..

But not to me.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 01:07AM by john vanlandingham.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

June 02, 2014 07:54PM
I'm not going to dispute that Charles went a little farther then needed, but he got wrapped up in the excitement of it all. There's no disputing that everyone has gotten sucked in by that.

But yes he didn't listen to you, a simple I told you so is really all that is needed to be said, because clearly that had part of the demise of his project.

But you say that we don't listen to you, but how much do you listen to us? Maybe I want to run a volvo, but I really don't want to run a 4 banger turboed or not, rather than just telling me that I'm wrong and I can get all the power I want from one, why don't you try to help me with the path I would like to go down and make the best out of it.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2014 09:23PM
mellow65
I'm not going to dispute that Charles went a little farther then needed, but he got wrapped up in the excitement of it all. There's no disputing that everyone has gotten sucked in by that.

But yes he didn't listen to you, a simple I told you so is really all that is needed to be said, because clearly that had part of the demise of his project.

But you say that we don't listen to you, but how much do you listen to us? Maybe I want to run a volvo, but I really don't want to run a 4 banger turboed or not, rather than just telling me that I'm wrong and I can get all the power I want from one, why don't you try to help me with the path I would like to go down and make the best out of it.

Maybe you're wrong in "not wanting to run a 4 banger"..
Wants are wants and they are similar to taste but in competition oriented pursuits you would think that people would---if they are intertested in competing--ya know mixing it up, contending, challenging themself, goin toe to toe, mano a mano....that the calculus of "Dollar spent to ___________(performance---MEASURABLE, FELL-able performance---) return" would maybe carry some weight...

Failing that the "dollar spent to laugh return"...
And time and effort = dollars in another form...

All I was saying is kinda ironic that McCollugh has been really hard trolling and basically slandering me and calling me "liar" and bullshit to the 2300 SOHC Volvo or Xratty idea saying you don't need this you don't need that----and that IS what I tell guys:
Like re motors : Me "does it have oil pressure?" Noob "Duh yep duh yep" Me "fine! Run it!"
"Does it have a manual box? Fine, it'll do till you splatter it"
"Any brakes left?..."

25 years ago very little good stuff was available at affordable prices, and now I get vehement rude shit because I make some stuff that's good, and let's guys get a lotta cool stuff at the junkyard...
Somehow that's bad now in several people's eyes, and I'm bad for doing it.

But I will apologize that I never have been good at considering people's very often totally irrational and illogical whims---the "But I wanna.........." (fill in the blank with any of hundreds of "bwilliant ideeers) especially when I KNOW its a waste of time, money, effort AND isn't going to help in RESULTS.
It is a major failing of mine.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 01:00AM by john vanlandingham.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 02, 2014 10:09PM
john vanlandingham
mellow65

But I will apologize that I never have been good at considering people's very often totally irrational and illogical whims---the "But I wanna..........[/u][/i]

Nice "apology" John.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 01:06AM
john vanlandingham

But I will apologize that I never have been good at considering people's very often totally irrational and illogical whims---the "But I wanna..........[/u][/i]
phlat65
Nice "apology" John.

Well Sean when you know somebody is dreaming crazy dreams beyond their skill level, beyond their wallet, and point any point except "I wanna" and you know they're headed towards a self-made dead end, what am I supposed to do? It's a waste of time for everybody as far as I can see.
I've run across far too many time-wasters and i don't have time for that anymore...far too busy just trying to have a life to listen to any more absurdity.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

June 03, 2014 09:16AM
phlat65
john vanlandingham
mellow65

Nice "apology" John.

I think his egocentrism is flaring up.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 10:02AM
mellow65
phlat65
john vanlandingham
mellow65

Nice "apology" John.

I think his egocentrism is flaring up.

What the fuck is with you guys? what the FUCK?

Sean I have enormous patience with people who are doing things AS YOU WELL KNOW from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.. And pretty good patience when life intervenes, plans change and they maybe aren't doing things as much..
I lent you all sorts of things but not limited to : a Toyota 4.3 LSD, Ford straight pull bellhousing for 2300 Lima, pulled a complete Volvo 16v head, lent a complete 2wd Cosworth rear brake set up.......can't remember what else. I did get the rear brakes back...and a year or so after the car with the diff in it was sold got a 3,9 diff back.......

The other stuff? I'm sure it'll come back...

I say I have no patience with OBVIOUS DEAD END IDEAS---and you guys have to complain?
Or illogical ideas?*

I ASK "what should I---what should any of us do--when we encounter somebody with grandioise ideas which you know are either pointless, stupid, or they don't know what they are talking about?

Come on I ask you and you 2 don't tell me what I should --or you should do but come and write shit.

*you fuckers are saying "oh there goes ego-centrism again" so guys tlell me what to do when say somebody like oh say the previous owner of the car says "man I love this thing I can drive it so sideways so nice so balance and so much better than my ......good blah blah blah and that just as it is!!!!! Stock!!!"

and then

"I'm throwing out the motor dropping in a big V8, moving it back 8", swapping oout the crossmember rack hubs brakes calipers struts etc etc"

"I love it because it is good"-----and then---"I'm drastically changing everything about it"

Come on Sean, what do we call that?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

June 03, 2014 10:28AM
john vanlandingham

I ASK "what should I---what should any of us do--when we encounter somebody with grandioise ideas which you know are either pointless, stupid, or they don't know what they are talking about?

Listen to them and give advice when asked for it.

Listening and acknowledging someones ideas really does a lot.

People are going to be stupid, it's human nature. What I, and probably most people get tired of is, an idea is thrown out and then a page long respond why that is the worst idea ever comes back.

Rather then just telling them their idea isn't great, tell them WHY the idea isn't great. I want facts, I want numbers, I want examples. If you can't supply those kind of things in a organized and unbiased way, then you shouldn't be commenting on it.

I'm not going to say for a moment that you don't know some great information. Hell you have probably forgotten more then I will ever learn. But we all can learn from each other, yes John, you might someday learn something from a little whippersnapper like me.

Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 03, 2014 11:01AM
mellow65
Rather then just telling them their idea isn't great, tell them WHY the idea isn't great. I want facts, I want numbers, I want examples. If you can't supply those kind of things in a organized and unbiased way, then you shouldn't be commenting on it.

Everybody will have biases, everybody will comment on a position that is informed by their experiences, which are the foundation of their biases. It's your job, as the recipient of the information, to understand the biases of the source and weigh the opinions accordingly.

Best example is someone who says that 'rally damper a' is 'the bestest evar,' but when you dig a bit deeper you find they've never rallied a car with Hotbits, DMS, or Selholm.

mellow65
I'm not going to say for a moment that you don't know some great information. Hell you have probably forgotten more then I will ever learn.
I don't think anybody is suggesting that John is uninformed, or poorly informed. At worst, John is singularly focused on a certain set of answers where the question allows for a wide range of acceptable options. In fact, there were a handful of teams at Olympus this past weekend that could have used John's expertise and might even have bought parts from him if he'd been around.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 11:02AM by Morison.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 11:09AM
mellow65
john vanlandingham

Listen to them and give advice when asked for it.

Listening and acknowledging someones ideas really does a lot.

People are going to be stupid, it's human nature. What I, and probably most people get tired of is, an idea is thrown out and then a page long respond why that is the worst idea ever comes back.

I'm not going to say for a moment that you don't know some great information. Hell you have probably forgotten more then I will ever learn. But we all can learn from each other, yes John, you might someday learn something from a little whippersnapper like me.

Logic time now....How would I know the ideas are "un-pull-off-able" and hence stupid if I didn't first listen to the person and not just about them but a lot of listening to who they are??
I knew Charles for example...he's a one man business like me---mostly broke-ass....
and I know he's not a fabricator, not an engine builder, not a welder and I listened to him better than he listened to himself...See above. He called and raved about how easy it was go go fast on gravel in the stock car---the first car he's had that was well balanced....we talked about if it went as good as it did bone stock how it would go with easy mods like more compression and a camshaft OTHER THAN an emissions cam...and then just reliability things like the T5 and the Toyota axle

All the stuff he then wanted to do cost money because he's not a fab guy or a welder..

My whole life I have lived by a motto "If a fool persists in his folly for long enough, he will become a wise man" and "The crime is not in failing, but in setting low aims"......but with the rise of the Intra-web and "discusssion forums" where people can always find some reinforcement for any idea no matter how absurd, I cooked up one of my own borrowing from Hippocrates who said to doctors "First do no harm" modified for all of us, you, me Sean all of us "First do no stupid".

But I asked what to do when --after listening to a series of whims like "I want to build it so it goes 150 miles an hour and does 10,000 rpm.....but I'm broke and can't hold a wrench...."
What am I supposed to do?
That shit I have no patience for---THAT is an honest statement..

And i apologized that I don't have time for that sort of thing..

And you and Sean shit on me for that...

You talk to Alex Staidle how much I listen to what are often NOT so crazy ideas...difference there is he gets down and does things...and then will try another--and gets that done...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 11:24AM
Morison

In fact, there were a handful of teams at Olympus this past weekend that could have used John's expertise and might even have bought parts from him if he'd been around.

One: I hope to hell somebody decks their block that they've already popped a headgasket before on.

Two. I have given up on....upper shock bolt in single shear failed, shock broken....advised that there are simple, easy, proven answers....why a mere slip of a boy right there in Calgary not even 21 managed to pull off the simple solution and the kid had never built a car before...
The solution is clear, documented here on a pile of Corollas and Volvos and elsewhere on 40 years of Escorts.. patiently explaining...goes elsewhere and is told "you don't need that, no, buy these from me" and it is the source of the DNF..

Even warned "Everything dies in rally, buy those 2 things and what will you do for a replacement? or spares?
A replacement will cost twice as much as 2 shocks and towers installed...and replacements are easy...as it transpired had he listen he could have borrowed a spare from the guy above. ^"

Use the word Horticulture in a sentence:
"you can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think" Dorothy Parker

Malheursement, I was busy making 55 50mm bushings, and beginning the move into my house so the whole family was busy pulling nails and screws and demolishing a huge closet...then I was drilling a Volvo block for under pistons squirters and turbo oil return----a future ralliest.
Family comes first.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login