DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Dry Ice (Sorry, John.)
October 15, 2010 07:05PM
The beast is almost ready for its cage!

This car will be lucky if it's got a logbook by summer, and luckier if it sees rally competition by 2012.

I want to use the LN deathray, but I don't see the point in spending the time to strip the car down to the bare unibody and re-building it from scratch. Fuck it. This is a maybe one rally a year plaything that's gonna see autox, rallyx, and (yawn) drag racing action. I'll probably try to surprise more than a few Jeep owners out on the trails with it as well.

I'm doing this for fun. No points. No trophies. No X-Shames invites.

So, there's maybe 4 square foot of floor pan where I need to remove the ooey-gooey to make my welder happy. I'm going with dry ice. A quick search brings up a thread about some cat in SoCal what had his roof dissolved for $1800 in a giant tank of Lye.

Looking for some insight on how much dry ice I should get, how to use it, and how to get the most out of it. What do I need to know to do it right the first time?

Thanks, and sorry John. smoking smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Dry Ice (Sorry, John.)
October 15, 2010 09:36PM
DR1665
The beast is almost ready for its cage!

This car will be lucky if it's got a logbook by summer, and luckier if it sees rally competition by 2012.

I want to use the LN deathray, but I don't see the point in spending the time to strip the car down to the bare unibody and re-building it from scratch. Fuck it. This is a maybe one rally a year plaything that's gonna see autox, rallyx, and (yawn) drag racing action. I'll probably try to surprise more than a few Jeep owners out on the trails with it as well.

I'm doing this for fun. No points. No trophies. No X-Shames invites.

So, there's maybe 4 square foot of floor pan where I need to remove the ooey-gooey to make my welder happy. I'm going with dry ice. A quick search brings up a thread about some cat in SoCal what had his roof dissolved for $1800 in a giant tank of Lye.

Looking for some insight on how much dry ice I should get, how to use it, and how to get the most out of it. What do I need to know to do it right the first time?

Thanks, and sorry John. smoking smiley

Geeeze just lift the loom and wires out of the way...

Dry ice is a waste of time and how is it supposed to contact directly the undercoating?
A gap of 2mm and you have a nice cushion of insulating air and it won't work like liquid which flows and conforms...
Go read some Taoist poetry about water....nothing is more compliant, it accepts anything yet it can break rocks...
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mega Moderator

October 15, 2010 10:14PM
john vanlandingham

Dry ice is a waste of time and how is it supposed to contact directly the undercoating?
A gap of 2mm and you have a nice cushion of insulating air and it won't work like liquid which flows and conforms...
Go read some Taoist poetry about water....nothing is more compliant, it accepts anything yet it can break rocks...

loves it
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 15, 2010 11:22PM
hudson
john vanlandingham

loves it

The highest excellence is like (that of) water. The excellence
of water appears in its benefiting all things, and in its occupying,
without striving (to the contrary), the low place which all men
dislike. Hence (its way) is near to (that of) the Tao.

The excellence of a residence is in (the suitability of) the place;
that of the mind is in abysmal stillness; that of associations is in
their being with the virtuous; that of government is in its securing
good order; that of (the conduct of) affairs is in its ability; and
that of (the initiation of) any movement is in its timeliness.

And when (one with the highest excellence) does not wrangle (about
his low position), no one finds fault with him.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 16, 2010 11:30AM
You take sheets of dry ice and break it up if needed to conform to the floor. I had a customer do that here on a rally project a few years ago. After a bit of hammering and scraping I noticed he was brite red in the face, and I mean red. Pretty sure it was from the fumes CO2 ?? We made him take a break.

A lot of the time the black undercoat will just break away with a hammer swack unless it is 100* outside.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 16, 2010 12:08PM
heymagic
You take sheets of dry ice and break it up if needed to conform to the floor. I had a customer do that here on a rally project a few years ago. After a bit of hammering and scraping I noticed he was brite red in the face, and I mean red. Pretty sure it was from the fumes CO2 ?? We made him take a break.

A lot of the time the black undercoat will just break away with a hammer swack unless it is 100* outside.

That red in the face thing, well for me it was all the tiny droplets of Liquid N splashing back, cause where the safety gargles were the red stopped...

The other pain in the ass thing is how selective gravidity is (look up my fawkin jokes boys that ain't miss-spelt) is.
Shredded dry ice only works when the panel in question has cooperated and slid itself UNDER said dry ice because for reason I haven't yet--YET!!! fingered out,(only 2 cuppsa tea this morning so far!) the dry ice seems to fall off of panels that are vertical---meaning a fawkin near unfingeroutable logistical nightmare to have to always position the car under the ice...

With the amazingly simple, brilliant and EASY Sooooper Bitchin Death Ray Gun, the car can be flat on the ground, tilted 45 degrees, tilted 90 degrees, or VIOLA, manure! Tilted 180 degrees or even YES! 360 degrees and the Liquid works the same.

Of course some cars have such sparse undercoating that the Sooooper Bitchin-est methods are overkill, but some cars, these fawkin Xartties I like have every square mm of the ENTIRE underside and wheelarches SLATHERED DEEP in the hot-sprayed rubberized stuff. It is the only sensible method then.

The dry ice method, while wasteful and ineffcient will probably work in a Misterbitcy with a few dabs of cheap gooo daubed here and there. (harumph!smoking smiley )
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 16, 2010 12:50PM
John, if I was going to be removing all kinds of material, then I'd absolutely be seeking out the LN Deathray. As it were, I've got just 4 locations inside the car, totaling less than 4sq-ft, so it's not a huge job. See below picture (still need to shopvac the floor, excuse my mess). One of just 4 locations I need to clean up for welding, likely 10" by 8". (Basically, the area to the right of the rectangular recess at the base of the B-pillar, and on the door-side of the darker, rectangular bit (with the hole at center) where the rear seat mounted.)

Here's how I see my options...

LN Deathray
Track down the gun, arrange shipment to my place, find local Airgas supplier, schmooze on the phone, drive across town to schmooze face-to-face, leave credit card deposit, schedule dewar delivery, push car out of garage, suit up, assemble contraption, apply LN, remove goo, tear down setup, push car back into garage, schedule dewar pickup, find someplace to store the deathray until called upon.

Dry Ice
Throw dry ice in cooler, take it home, open the garage door, use a hammer to break up the ice, place foggy stuff in 4 spots, have a smoke, use hammer to break up insulation, maybe move some foggy stuff around a bit, use the hammer some more, close the garage door, remember to leave the garage door open a bit and leave a fan running to air the place out when done, crack a beer, light another smoke, call fabricator to schedule pick up of Misterbitchy for roll cage install.

I suspect I could remove this shit with a razor blade and a wire wheel on my drill (despite it still pushing 100* here during the day), but why work harder?

Believe me. I've been reading about the LN Deathray for years. I want to use it. I can see the pictures of Grant suited up to spray down a shell on the rotisserie in my mind as I type this, but I'm not doing that level of prep.

The sooner I complete this car, the sooner I can stuff it, swap the bits over to the other Galant, and start shopping for a round-headlight 240 or second generation Alfa Spider.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, but right in this case means getting the car to the goddamned fabricator for a cage, not getting the car prepped to challenge Bill Bacon in a national series.

Fast, right, cheap. In this situation, I'm all of the above.

Ascona73
Bob Legere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

October 17, 2010 12:15PM
DR1665
As it were, I've got just 4 locations inside the car, totaling less than 4sq-ft, so it's not a huge job.

For this little area, I'd use a heat gun and a sharpened-up gasket scraper and have at it. Should take under an hour's total time, even working slowly and taking beer breaks. Although this is a slow tedious method for an entire body shell, for smaller areas it works just fine.
alkun
Albert Kun
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

October 17, 2010 05:38PM
Here is some science fo yo ass.

mix some ethanol (the 90% stuff form the drugstore or moonshine, if available) with your crushed dry ice, then pour that on, start chipping within about a minute. Liquids transfer cold way better. I found nice sharp wood chissles in 1/2 an 1 inch width to be the tool of choice, and with a little practice can get that crap off without heat or cold now, but cold helps.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 17, 2010 09:30PM
alkun

mix some ethanol (the 90% stuff form the drugstore or moonshine, if available) with your crushed dry ice, then pour that on, start chipping within about a minute. Liquids transfer cold way better. I found nice sharp wood chissles in 1/2 an 1 inch width to be the tool of choice, and with a little practice can get that crap off without heat or cold now, but cold helps.

Watchyouse sayin, Doc? Youse sayin the ethanol won't freeze and will remain liquid?

How can we make an emulsion or paste so it cvan daubed or dolloped onto verticle or near verticle surfaces, like tip[ping a car 3/4 over and supporting and working underneath?
Smartie.

(Haven't talked about the fundamental anti-intellectual undercurrent flowing all thru American society (under-current the size of the Missouri/Platte/Mississippi river systerm)
Do we need to talk again about you wildly throwing around facts and reason????
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 17, 2010 09:32PM
The tar sheets I've always just hit with an air chisel and then cleaned up any residue with some gnarly chemicals or such.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 17, 2010 09:36PM
The dry ice worked great. In fact, I even removed more a little extra up front because it was coming off so easily.

Of course, the dry ice probably wouldn't work upside-down, on the undercarriage. winking smiley

Dazed_Driver
Banned
Senior Moderator

October 17, 2010 09:47PM
alkun

What a great idea! Certain vodkas may work too, if you can find it cheaper by the gallon then rubbing alcohol.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 17, 2010 10:10PM
Just a couple quick shots to show some of the areas in question...

Original, 4lb block

Split into 4 with a chisel and mallet

Final result, ready for wire wheel

Driver's footwell, ended up removing material nearly all the way to the driveshaft tunnel on both front locations, before I got bored and wanted a nap.

Total cost: $26.00 (I bought a $20 cooler to carry it)

Again, I'd love to use the LNDR, but for such a small area, it seemed a bit much. Like using an acetylene torch to light a smoke or something.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 17, 2010 11:09PM
DR1665
Just a couple quick shots to show some of the areas in question...

Again, I'd love to use the LNDR, but for such a small area, it seemed a bit much. Like using an acetylene torch to light a smoke or something.

Whaddya mean, here's what I use when I can't find my Bic:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login