Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Brakim Racing?
September 14, 2014 09:29AM
To paraphrase recent comments :
I build EXCELLENT suspension
I beat every PGT car with an old Saab
I know everything about everything because when I was in Europe I dated Marco... even uh Maria whose cousins sisters brother walked the dog of the neighbor who once saw the head of San motorsports leaving the doctor office..... blah, blah, blah.

Buy JVAB, buy often, spend morally...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

September 14, 2014 01:45PM
i tried to buy jvab and got snubbed, alotta snubbin will save rally!

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

September 14, 2014 04:56PM
This thread is useless without a bare knuckle fight in the back alley. I want to see some blood! It's funny how so many people have enough time for oral diarrhea. The only thing that will " save rally" is if you are working on or racing your cars. STFU and go do one or the other.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 14, 2014 06:12PM
roger that, doing

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

September 14, 2014 08:02PM
Robert, get back to work! You don't have time to be playing on the internets!!!

Love you smiling smiley
X Monâ„¢
Matt Rhoads
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
The silly seat

September 14, 2014 09:00PM
Back on topic. Who's ready for BRS next weekend?

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 10:53AM
Snidewhips
i tried to buy jvab and got snubbed, alotta snubbin will save rally!

You know its hard to make suspension for every obscure car when I don't have one here..

NOW, with cooperation of Anthony Peto, local guy with a car, we've done some nice stuff and it works good..
Sorry I couldn't help you then...no intention of snubbing you, its just that I can't do everything..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

September 15, 2014 01:14PM
fair enough chap, i like bang for your buck which i understand you provide. i want to be on stage not in cyberspace.

mothra
Matt Smith
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

September 15, 2014 01:43PM
X Monâ„¢
Back on topic. Who's ready for BRS next weekend?

Let's hope you don't need to put any of those forms to use.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 15, 2014 04:22PM
you should be ready to protest everything.

lack of umbrella girls ? protest!

no keg at final MTC .. probably not legal... Protest!

finding out that the keg at the final MTC was hidden? definitely protest. smiling smiley

more protesting will save rally?

i know nothing of the brakem racing guy... but i like to race. and would love it if i could figure out how to get someone else to foot the bill. color me jealous
captdownshift
Dave Zajano
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
a pile of electrical gremlins

September 26, 2014 09:08AM
normally I'm one to agree with John to a degree regarding the sustainability of competing in the sport, but in this instance he's quite off base with some assumptions and judgments.

#1) when in the relatively early stages of competing why would someone pick up and travel to another continent to compete? I know the frequency and distance between events in Scandinavia is far superior then North America, but how about competing in North America, marketing the sport on the continent and attempting to grow it at the grassroots level? Exporting potential top talent overseas to disappear into the mid pack of Laplanders doesn't nothing for the sport here or there.

2) Matt is one of a small handful of US drivers to ever receive an invite to take part in WRC academy. Someone who is a better judge of talent then most, if not all, on here has taken notice.

3) Like him or loathe him, as a brand, talent, person or driver, Ken Block has given people who are interested the roadmap to making rally viable regarding sponsors and interest. You'll never be able to sell the masses on wanting to watch televised stage rally coverage and if you manage to get 1,000 spectators to come out to an event to spectate in person you've done an amazing job. However, it's been proven that if you carefully compose, plan and shoot a film showing a rally car slide, jump and drift through a course with planted cameras, no matter how contrived it may be, people will watch. People have enjoyed movie car chases for 50 years, we're all the morons for not having picked up on this formula sooner. Yes it's not rally, nor is it close, but if it showcases some of the machinery and driving techniques used within the sport and can fund competitors within the sport then damn right it's good for it and more teams should be producing such films as long as the filming in conducted in a controlled environment.

4) Along with the marketing and promotion listed in section 3, if I had a small workshop that put out some of the best budget suspension and brake options for those competing in the sport, I'd damn sure try to take notice of people that are garnishing attention within the sport about how they can help others to possibly get involved with rally, and how my products could help those newbs in turn get on stage. 30,000 fans/followers is nothing to sneeze at, if 5% of them decide to volunteer at a stage event what would it mean to the sport? If 1% of them decide to build or buy a 240, Merkur, MKII VW or Saab to take out on stage, what does that mean to the sport, or that little shop that makes banging performance budget suspensions? What would that 1% of potential drivers and 5% of potential volunteers mean in terms of the number of events and the quality of grassroots drivers?

I'm not saying that fans/like and viral videos will save rally, but it's not a bad thing for the sport. Now excuse me well I go work on developing my rally mobile media app.

am I the only person that thinking rally doesn't need saving?

fwd for those who want to feel safe
rwd for those who want to have fun
awd for those who want to be poor
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

September 26, 2014 11:16AM
captdownshift
2) Matt is one of a small handful of US drivers to ever receive an invite to take part in WRC academy. Someone who is a better judge of sponsorship/fundraising potential plus potential willingness to give M-Sport $$$$$ has taken notice.

Fixed that for you.

Don't get me wrong - any "invite" means that someone has recognized that he's got some talent (driving or otherwise) that could make him a potential competitor on the international level. But, being able to compete in rally (or any motorsports) at an international level is as much (if not more) about the ability to get funding as it is skill behind the wheel.

There's no shortage of guys out there who can wheel a car quickly. There are, I think, a lot less who are able to effectively market themselves in such a way that will a) pay for their racing and b) show "value added" over guys who are just good drivers.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
captdownshift
Dave Zajano
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
a pile of electrical gremlins

September 26, 2014 11:37AM
I won't argue that Aaron as otherwise WRC would most certainly be made up of all Scandinavians who have never driven a vehicle that powers the front wheels prior to their first open class event winking smiley

am I the only person that thinking rally doesn't need saving?

fwd for those who want to feel safe
rwd for those who want to have fun
awd for those who want to be poor
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 26, 2014 04:13PM
captdownshift
I won't argue that Aaron as otherwise WRC would most certainly be made up of all Scandinavians who have never driven a vehicle that powers the front wheels prior to their first open class event winking smiley

Yeah the thing is on all these things like Dubya Arsey Academy or these 'Pro-drive test" thing back in the early 00ies is they are a huge front, charades.. They are only making a pretense of the "competition"..you don't have funding to pay them you aren't getting "offered a ride"...

I my sport--the one I was serious about and paid to do (mx) there were things for the ISDT, the International Side Day Trial, now ISDE (Enduro) all around the country called "6 Days Qualifiers".

Supposedly they were to be the criterion for selecting the US Team---who gets to go....
So when you sent in your entry you checked the class, for me 500A class, and then checked a box called "Intent" class---you intend to compete for "the team"...
I'd just gor back from 10 years of braking my skull against the rocks (rock on rock?) all over Europe and South Africa, I was workiong and goin' to college so no intent so I just checked "US Champ-peenship" not intent..

Well I go to McMinnville OR and there run into guys who I knew from 12-13 years before who are now in Team management...they were old friends and were frank "Well it's really already set who's going, cause of the expense its going to be the guys who existing sponsorship deals...but we gotta go thru the motions"

Grant used the term, from statistical analysis "selection bias" I believe.. Simple logistical costs shifts out all but a very small handful of people who have the money --from somewhere---to pay to get things and people to events...results don't, costs do..
And the rules on homologated vehicles --which must be near new and all the parts have the serial numbers available only from Oafish-al sourses means the cars themselves are a effective filtering out of "the riff raff".....again not results...

Its this cost thing that leads to the whole WRC and anything connected to it being a separate world unrealted to on Stage competition.....and leads to the phenomenon of --in a few places, especially up north, of clubbies in old but good 2wd cars having better SS times than many of the Buy-your-ride" "tourists" such as all the 'Merikun and Canajians who have gone over this century...

And the conclusion that participation in the WRC except for maybe 4-5 people rates a big "so what" just as National Champ-peen ship means "so what" to so many in every country---not just here.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 26, 2014 07:22PM
Methinks there is a fair amount of enviosity in the room. Maybe jealousy would be a better word.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login