Advanced

Jumping into the deep end of the pool

Posted by Vorpal_Rally 
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Senior Moderator

Jumping into the deep end of the pool
February 17, 2008 08:32PM
That seems to be Rally Anarchy, I just wanted to introduce myself before I get outed!!I've been lurking around looking at the various posts and find it to my liking. If a certain other rally internet site is the family therapists office where the dysfunctional family goes to work out their issue, Rally Anarchy seems to be the Jerry Springer show. My name is Lee and I really find hurling oneself down gravel roads at semi insane speeds to be something I can subscribe to. I don't actually rally anything. I do act as OOO ballast for the 100 Acre Wood. For now I'll just hang out and soak up the atmosphere.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
Please Login or Register to post a reply
pikespeakgtx
Michael LeCompte
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda GTX BPT - - - - - Not full-fledged - - - - - More like fledgling.

Re: Jumping into the deep end of the pool
February 17, 2008 09:21PM
what's the certain other rally internet site that's the therapists office?

Michael LeCompte
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Senior Moderator

February 17, 2008 11:15PM
ummm, SS? It's ok to go see the therapist, but sometimes there's nothing better than an episode of Jerry Springer.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 17, 2008 11:22PM
Ha! JVL is the Jerry Springer of the rally world.
I can hear the audience now...

"JVL! JVL! JVL!..."
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 18, 2008 12:49AM
Vorpal_Rally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ummm, SS? It's ok to go see the therapist, but
> sometimes there's nothing better than an episode
> of Jerry Springer.

Well, welcome aboard Lee.

You have to forgive me but I don't really get much popular culture references, and what little I know about the Jerry Sprigner Show is that it seems to be a freakshow, and here to me, aside from a couple of guys who try to puff themselves up, it seems like nearly everybody here is just trying to figure a way to build really pretty decent cars as affordably as possible except Grant Hughes who was working like a savage with 4 jobs and splurging like a madman.

Truth is I don't really understand why so many over there seem so invested in exaggerating their or collectively "OUR" exploits and contend and pretend what "we" do is newsworthy or even "Fast".
I don't think any of the 'regulars' here have any such delusions and most just simply want to have fun on closed roads.

I mean I don't think anybody regularly posting here is so self deluded as to use a word like "career", least not seriously,
to describe their elaborate plans to one day build a car and play at occasionally.

So just for fun, and maybe to help me understand better, can you flesh out the above analogies some, cause I for the life of me don't understand the need and compulsion to dress shit up and then get all butt hurt when somebody actually says "Yeah that dress does make you ass look fat".

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

February 18, 2008 01:17PM
Personally, I think spending too much time on the other site puts people into therapy. That therapy is this site, imo. :shrug

TONIGHT ON RALLY ANARCHY! Grant's Xratty is pregnant again! Who is the father?

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Senior Moderator

February 18, 2008 03:53PM
Thanks for the welcome John,

To answer your question, I'll start with my analogy to comparing Rally Anarchy to the Jerry Springer show. Perhaps a better analogy would be found in your own rules post at the to of the general forum.

"Barf. We wanted a place to talk openly, especially if it's in a yakking-around-the-garage after dropping-in-an-engine kind of friendly banter. Think of Rally Anarchy as the local clubhouse you probably have never had. Swearing is OK, but don't go overboard."

Sounds like a cool place to hang and drink a beer and shoot the breeze, If someone is so full of shit the whites of their eyes are brown, it's ok to tell them that. Of course I'd say it with a smile. I do try hard not to step on my own dick, but when I do, I'd expect the same sort of treatment.

"Truth is I don't really understand why so many over there seem so invested in exaggerating their or collectively "OUR" exploits and contend and pretend what "we" do is newsworthy or even "Fast".
I don't think any of the 'regulars' here have any such delusions and most just simply want to have fun on closed roads."

Can't speak to who exaggerates, so I won't even try. As far as newsworthiness goes, I will leave that up to the press to write the story. If it sells newspapers, then so be it. As far as "Fast" goes, I remember one E. Tom Newcomer telling a young impressionable teenager (me) that speed is relative. I'm used to wide open road courses with lots if runoff area where drivers with more balls than brakes find that asphalt is a far better place for their formula cars at speed. If I find what a crew can do on a gravel road to be impressive then that's my opinion. I won't put anyone on a pedestal. I will continue to give my respect to those that do.

William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 18, 2008 04:15PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> it seems like nearly everybody here is just trying to
> figure a way to build really pretty decent cars as
> affordably as possible except Grant Hughes who was
> working like a savage with 4 jobs and splurging
> like a madman.
Actually, I quite the second job about 18 months ago when I started grad school. Now I just work one job and am paying all the living expenses for two now.
It's kind of funny though, just last night I was showing my lovely wife some parts downstairs. She asked how much a few shiny aluminum things cost that I bought from overseas and was a bit surprised at the cost. I pointed to some other aluminum stuff and said, yeah, but at least it's functional and cost less than that useless pile of aluminum parts. Of course, it's not all totally useless and I'm sure someday I'll decide something to do with it and I thankfully sold some of the associated parts before they were made useless by rule changes mandating steel instead of aluminum. Which was probably okay since I never could figure out where they were supposed to go.

In all honestly, there are three ways to approach rally.
If you want to be able to win any meaningful contests, build any 2WD car and expect to spend $15-30K building it plus whatever you spend to buy the car. If it's older, expect to pretty much end up replacing just about everything on the car.
If you want to set some good times, have very little maintenance required, and have fun, build a Subaru Impreza GC8, but always know that you'll likely never win anything meaningful because you'll always be outspent.
If you want cheap, don't care about how you place, and don't mind spending all your spare time scouring junkyards to replace parts and such, build a cheap car like a Impreza, Golf or a Honda Civic. Try to find something early 90s as you can spend a stupid amount of money just trying to make a 20 year old car like a Volvo or Merkur reliable. And alot of parts are simply no longer available.
I've spent alot of time and money building my car, but I can look through the detailed list that I keep and I've learned a few useful lessons, wasted a few hundred here or there, but there's only a few things I regret doing, but yet they're still learning processes and allow me to help others from making mistakes and occasionally I even come up with a solution that works.
In hindsight and if I could start over, I'd probably build a Subaru and just focus on trying to beat my friends with similar cars in our battles for 5th or 6th place at best.

I still occasionally will go back to the Construction forum on Specialstage and read through all the archives.

Grant Hughes
mothra
Matt Smith
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

February 18, 2008 07:48PM
Duuuude I think you got that analagy backwards.

SS is much more Springer like and this site provides the therapy needed to actually get folks out on the stages.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 19, 2008 01:05AM
Doivi Clarkinen Wrote:
> Ha! JVL is the Jerry Springer of the rally
> world.
> I can hear the audience now...
>
> "JVL! JVL! JVL!..."

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

JOHNNY JOHNNY JOHNNY!

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login