Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

[unauthorized] STPR pics...
June 11, 2008 04:54PM
From Navy Seals rally fans circumventing things. Found it on the Galant board. Thought I'd share it. (Nice pictures and a fun story are always a good way to kill some time.)

i just typed this out for a local board, so it might be confusing with names and now its all one post... you get the idea and i'm too beat to fix it. haha

thursday morning i pick up jason grahn from posdsm from newark airport. he flew in from seattle to codrive for per shroder from grassroots motorsports. we were a bit early for meeting ryan and brian so we killed some time by introducing jason to some typical jersey shit.
we went to the millburn deli and jason was thrilled with the lady behind the counter with the ridiculous jersey jew accent. ANYONE READY TO AWWDUUUH?
then jason found this like 19 year old girl behind the counter with the biggest puss on her face EVER, yet she was wearing mickey mouse ears. he played small talk with her for like 5 minutes while she undoubtedly tried to figure out why some customer is talking to her. this is jersey, you order your shit and get the fuck out.
we get our sandwiches and sit outside and talk about other jersey shit he needs to see when 2 kids roll up and start tossing out some 'bro's'
bro's, check
then 2 more kids roll up and know the other 2 kids and its bro central
BROOOO!!!!!
awesome
we scram, drive to ryan's and wait for him for a few. he arrives and we load up the van.
we drive out, rather uneventful. jason nods in and out of sleep in the back. we get to the fairgrounds and check out some cars.

gvr4 painted as if it was an RC car in 1988

jason and per

per is a douchebag. i was warned by ryan, nate, and utah that he was. i tried to forget that but he really juts is a douchebag. he didn't have the common decency to say hi, or thank you, or make small talk for 2 seconds with the guys that just delivered his codriver. i'm not offering to do that guy favors any more, he dicked over my buddies at the GRM 2004 challenge and he was a real douche at the rally. but whatever, i didn't need to spend any time with him.

per's dad was real nice though and lent us per's driver book without him knowing, and we took pictures of every single page to help us navigate to the off limits areas. smiling smiley

travis's brand new car

we hang around a bit, watch some cars go through scrutineering, and we head off to the campground

i'm a sea cow!

so we get to the campground, set up camp, get pissed at the sea of blue and silver subaru's, and head over to the staging area that the subaru team is using for the practice track. brent is over there so we meet up.
brent is the fucking man and gets us introduced to kenny bartram and denis hotson. we hang around brent's friend mark gets a ride in kenny's rally car, and eventually we head out and get dinner.
WITH KENNY BARTROM
brent rules, we had a picnic at wendy's with kenny and denis.
kenny and denis found philth very interesting with his 9 toes and blow up house, though neither one knew what an m3 or an ls1 were.
hahahaha
real cool guys, way down to earth. i got 8 zillion times the reception from a famous rally car and freestyle motorcross rider than i did from douchebag per.
great times.
we headed back to the campground and passed out.

i'll continue in a 2nd post, i don't feel like losing what i just typed.

okay so friday morning we wake up and start trying to figure out how to sneak into the off limits private property stage. i have 2 forms of GPS, and the offical rally maps we stole from per.
we find one of the stages comes within a mile or so of a dead end street which a town uses for a municiple service area. we stash the van behind a giant pile of asphalt rocks and start trekking into the woods. we find the road pretty easy, but we are within sight of some marshals up on a hill. we walk one way through the woods, and we are still within their sight so we walk another way, and we lose the road. dammit we can't get out of their sight, i guess thats why they picked that spot. we are on like mile 2 of walking through the woods now so we go back the 1st way and walk even further, after another 2 miles or so we FINALLY get out of their site but we are also not in sight of a turn. whatever, we got a good vantage point and set up camp.
brian and ryan

vroom

here's ken block. he promptly rips the whole rear suspension out of the car hitting bumps. i told you the new subaru was a piece of shit, travis did the SAME THING a few stages later

kenny's subaru
its really hard getting these pictures, they are FLYING and its really really hot and bright and really really dusty, i just sucked too.

world's 2nd best car

world's best car
[imghttp://www.gtluke.com/gallery/d/43325-3/DSC_2636.jpg[/img]

jason in the saab

we waited for stage 2, which was this one just backwards.
we found this crazy moth

and then over the scanner we hear reports of a black bear on the stage, reported by a driver. shit! we promptly ate all our food and stashed our shit like 20 yards away just in case. we had no idea where it was.

ryan and brian being homosexual

rally cars come back

brian and i start walking towards where the cars are coming from, as there is a turn down there.
shit, lightning storm, posting before i lose this in a power outage.

okay lights are flickering so hopefully i don't lose this, i'm not on my laptop and don't have a UPS. crazy storm.

here comes l'estage

and holy shit firefox is the BEST! i just lost power and when my puter came back up, njdsm cam back and even this box was filled with what i typed out already. fucking a if you dont' use firefox please kill yourself.

okay...
so we get real close to the turn and i hear talking, fuck there are course workers there. ASS
so we hide back in the bushes and work our way back.

vroooom

annnnnd per gets an ass for being an ass smiling smiley

and thats the end of that stage and we walk back to the van. some workers see us on the way out but we didn't get yelled out. sweet

we drive over to the fairgrounds and check out the cars, and get ready for the super special stage.

per and grahn, thank god those 2 guys got press passes.

pics from the SSS came out bad, the view was good but they were too far away and light wasn't great.

then after kenny bartram was done with the stage, he pulled out his ramps and started doing jumps

we head back to the campground and get a fire going, get some brats on the fire and cook some smores. great times.
saturday next post...

okay saturday we wake up early and head over to colton point. this was the stage last year where we all got stranted for 7 hours and there was almost a riot.
this time we got to see some cars.

yeah, i'm pretty sure my camera is going to have some major problems soon. i was HOSED in dirt

oh hi, i forgot my bumper

too bad i wasn't on the other side, or had a faster camera, or got this in focus
he ALMOST flipped it. it went a bit higher than that. go matt johnson!

block got his car fixed that night.
oh actually i have a pic of that too.

fixing block's car the night before

who's rear ending the ebo's???!??!

yay dsm

12 mile next...

okay so we leave colton point and book it over to 12 mile
we park the van and we hike, and i mean HIKE to the stage. it was over a mile and i had a FULL camera bag, laptop, cooler FULL of ice and water and soda, and a chair. fuck that sucked. it wasnt' as bad as the first stage, but shit i'm getting tired of walking with all my shit. haha

here's l'estage pwning la stage
he's in 1st now, all the x-games boys are gone except for bartram. block ripped the suspension out of his car on stage 2 and DNF'd, travis rolled his car on stage 4 and DNF'd, after ripping the suspension out of his car at some point also and having the crew fix it. oh when travis rolled the car, his codriver got out and got ran over by a car and had to get taken to the hospital. mirra fell off a cliff and DNF'd
so the hyundai is in 1st. its not really a hyundai, its just a body with a full evo drivetrain.
block is actually back for day 2, but he's no longer competing for a podium finish. just some points i think.

bad focus, but cool pic

cars come back the other way in the dusk.

brian getting pics of the cars

okay that concludes the actual rally, now just the last super special stage back where stage 3 was.

we get there and get some grub, mark minjin from the galant board shows up with his girlfriend and we chat it up and wait for the cars.
the cars pull up and kenny bartram jumps out of his car at the start of the stage, runs clear through the crowd and bleachers, jumps a fence and gets his dirt bike out of the shed under his ramps. he changes clothes behind the ramp and proceeds to do fucking backflips. i have a hard time driving home after riding my bicycle for a day. this guy gets out of a fucking rally car after a hundred miles and jumps right on a dirt bike and does some no hander backflips and shit. what the fuck.

i didn't really get pics of that cause it was dark but the galant put on an AWESOME show.
i swear he was going to get 1st on that stage, he HAMMERED and plowed through some hay bails over a jump but ended up blowing a tire off a rim sad smiley

so head back to camp, eat some kielbasa and pass out. we wake up in the morning and go pick up grahn from the kenya hotel. or so HE says but the sign outside says canyon. stupid seattle accent!
we take off and drive home.
we are dying laughing the whole way home about the rally car ryan and i are going to enter. 1985 camaro, windows down blasting 'living on a prayer', gold chains and our helmets airbrushed with big hair. our driver names are going to be D. Bags and F. Skanks with american flags next to italian flags.
we go into crazy detail and die laughing at it.
i have to pee, so we go to a rest stop and brian goes in the crapper. something comes over grahn and he dumps water over the stall but misses, and hits the 2nd stall with some cowboy in it!
we fucking run as fast as we can and hide in the van and book it out of there with poor brian stuck in there with the wet guy.

we get back to ryan's place, unload the van and load up my truck. i take grahn back to my place where he see's my awesome mustang on jackstands and makes posts under my username on posdsm. fucker!
so we get maria and we have like 3 hours before he has to be at the airport so we book it to manhattan for some pizza. we make it there, i show him around town, under the holland tunnel, over the manhattan bridge, over the brooklyn bridge, and we get some pizza at some random place. i try to get to times square but the puerto rican day parade is going on and traffic comes to a HALT. we are out of time, and i'm stuck in traffic so i start driving aggressive to get us out. grahn keeps commenting on my ability to thread the needle. grinning smiley
and then he comments:
dude i've never been scared in a rally car, but this... holy shit its like a rally course where the tree's are trying to kill you! as the taxis are dashing all over the place and i'm passing them in my awesome miata rim'ed hyundeath.
hahahaa
we get out of the city and i hammer it down to the airport and kick him out of the car with his hippie sandles.

i'm sure about 8 zillion other things happened that i can't remember. hopefully ryan can fill in a ton of blanks. it was a great time!

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

Re: [unauthorized] STPR pics...
June 11, 2008 06:27PM

they missed the best one.

DOH!

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

June 11, 2008 06:32PM
another angle of MJ almost flippin' it

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

June 11, 2008 10:25PM
loved the pics, loved the commentary even more
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

June 12, 2008 02:14AM
DR1665 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who's rear ending the ebo's???!??!
>
>

Jon Kemp. Must have been damage from hitting Derek Ringer...
GRMPer
Per Schroeder
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1977 Saab 99

June 12, 2008 09:41AM
Interesting take on the event. I've never had anyone call me a douchebag before. Awesome! I should remember not to be stressed out about anything at my next rally, or event that I organize.

Per
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 10:35AM
^just think how much more stressed out you'd have been if you'd have needed to pick up your codriver yourself

clearly there are two sides to every story, however, courtesy and kindness even under stress never hurt anyone

as for stressed out drivers and organizers, there are plenty of them who even at wits end still take a moment to say thank you and smile to those who are helping them out in some/any capacity

if you can't be kind, even under stress, to those who have done something kind for you, maybe find a hobby that is less stressful and more enjoyable for yourself and those around you
GRMPer
Per Schroeder
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1977 Saab 99

June 12, 2008 10:42AM
Sure, and I thank a lot of people during the course of an event that I'm organizing or competing.

I didn't realize that they were doing ME a favor, as Jason presented it as though some buddies of HIS were coming to the event and his transportation was all set. I didn't realize they were going out of their way to help me personally...

I saw those guys for like 3 seconds when Jason introduced us...I said "Hi" and then never saw them for the rest of the weekend--that I know of. Honestly, I met them so quickly A) didn't recognize them from the Challenge and cool smiley wouldn't have recognized them again anyway.

Per
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 10:51AM
Even if they weren't going out of their way to help you personally, they still ended up helping you out, yes?

I don't know in that situation if I'd have called you a douchebag, but I probably would have thought you were rude.

However, no sense that I can see in carrying on with this particular part of the topic, you see nothing wrong with your reaction to the situation, we do, tis the way life is, we are all different.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 12, 2008 11:05AM
Oh come on. Most of us are so busy at an event that we have to have someone around to feed us. Occasional lapse of manners is to be expected. Sounds like these guys already didn't like you to me. Kind of funny. (PS> Congrats on the coming addition. New rally car and a kid in one year! Awesomeness.)

Grant Hughes
mothra
Matt Smith
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

June 12, 2008 11:09AM
I think you guys should cut Per a break If he could get GRM to do an article on the xr4ti then he woudl move up to super cool status. and I do my best not to hold the fact that he drives a Saab against him.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 11:13AM
NoCoast Wrote:
> Oh come on. Most of us are so busy at an event
> that we have to have someone around to feed us.
> Occasional lapse of manners is to be expected.
> Sounds like these guys already didn't like you to
> me. Kind of funny. (PS> Congrats on the
> coming addition. New rally car and a kid in one
> year! Awesomeness.)
>
> Grant Hughes
> www.nocoastmotorsports.net
> Denver, CO

I think my issue increased after the fact, when he replied and instead of a simple "dude, sorry, was stressed, didn't mean to come across as an ass, thanks for helping me out" he got kind of snotty and defensive, twice.

As I was reading the initial post, I did stop to wonder if the person in question posts here and what he'd say to it. Curiosity sated, now where's my popcorn.
GRMPer
Per Schroeder
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1977 Saab 99

June 12, 2008 11:23AM
I thought this was a reprint from another board...not an original post---thus no apology as I didn't think the offended person was here. If they are, great, I hope they accept my apology and actually talk to me about it in person. I'd gladly buy them a beer and sort it out, if given the chance. Before posting here, I tried to post on POSDSM to apologize/solve it at the headwaters, but that board has some pretty extreme post requirements for things.

Grant: Thanks! It's been a good year!

Mothra: Yes, the XRatty is on our radar...

Per

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2008 11:26AM by GRMPer.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 11:29AM
I thought it was the same person posting in both places and was just too lazy to start everything anew and so just copy/pasted from there to here. That's what I do sometimes. However, I still don't have any popcorn and drama just isn't as much fun with out lots of salt and butter.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

June 12, 2008 11:40AM
12xalt Wrote:
> I thought it was the same person posting in both
> places and was just too lazy to start everything
> anew and so just copy/pasted from there to here.
> That's what I do sometimes. However, I still
> don't have any popcorn and drama just isn't as
> much fun with out lots of salt and butter.

"From Navy Seals rally fans circumventing things. Found it on the Galant board. Thought I'd share it."

nah, I think Brian just brought it over here, he didn't write it/wasn't the one talking smack.

so these guys illegally 'borrow' a competitors rule book, grab/copy the map so they can sneak around the event and take pics where they're not supposed to, then post it up on the internet and trash the guy publicly?

And now that guy wants to apologize and buy them a beer? Per, you're a better man than I.

These guys sound like the type of d-bags that would twist and ankle sneaking around the woods at this event, and then try to sue the organizers for damages.

Nice photo's though grinning smiley

Jon Burke - KI6LSW

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2008 11:42AM by Jon Burke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login