Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

[unauthorized] STPR pics...

Posted by DR1665 
Francois
Francois Poirier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

Re: [unauthorized] STPR pics...
June 12, 2008 11:44AM
12xalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
However, I still
> don't have any popcorn and drama just isn't as
> much fun with out lots of salt and butter.

here's some popcorn for you!

Btw Brian, very nice story and very nice pictures! I really like reading comments like yours it gives another view of rallys that we don't get to see very often.

Francois
Please Login or Register to post a reply
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

June 12, 2008 11:47AM
I just went back up to the top before scrolling down and saw that, my bad.

As for taking pics where you aren't supposed to, personally, I find this bullshit of being stuck in one little tiny crowded place annoying. I miss the days when you could hike 2 miles up the road if you wanted to and watch from where you pleased as long as it was a safe location. Dumb sue happy americans ruin rally for all of us who want to watch. Yeah, most of the time I volunteer, but every now and then it'd be cool to just be a spectator and enjoy something I love, but oh no, can't do that anymore because too many dumbasses have ruined that freedom over the years.

I miss the 70's and the 80's.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 11:56AM
Francois Wrote:
> 12xalt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> However, I still
> > don't have any popcorn and drama just isn't
> as
> > much fun with out lots of salt and butter.
>
> here's some popcorn for you!
>
>
> Btw Brian, very nice story and very nice pictures!
> I really like reading comments like yours it
> gives another view of rallys that we don't get to
> see very often.
>
>
>
> Francois

Hey, thanks! That should tide me over till lunch time.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

June 12, 2008 12:00PM
12xalt Wrote:
> I just went back up to the top before scrolling
> down and saw that, my bad.
>
> As for taking pics where you aren't supposed to,
> personally, I find this bullshit of being stuck in
> one little tiny crowded place annoying. I miss
> the days when you could hike 2 miles up the road
> if you wanted to and watch from where you pleased
> as long as it was a safe location. Dumb sue happy
> americans ruin rally for all of us who want to
> watch. Yeah, most of the time I volunteer, but
> every now and then it'd be cool to just be a
> spectator and enjoy something I love, but oh no,
> can't do that anymore because too many dumbasses
> have ruined that freedom over the years.
>
> I miss the 70's and the 80's.

oh, I agree with you. (except on the '70s....I was born in 74...LOL)

but if you're gonna break the rules (I do it all the time) be cool about it.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 12:02PM
Jon Burke Wrote:
> oh, I agree with you. (except on the '70s....I
> was born in 74...LOL)
>
> but if you're gonna break the rules (I do it all
> the time) be cool about it.
>
> Jon Burke - KI6LSW
> RallyX Team Up TwoMountains
> Team Blog:
>

I was born in 71. But I was riding around with service crews, or out on stage with either volunteers or spectators from the time I was about 5 or 6. I miss night rallies too.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 12, 2008 12:02PM
The funnest Navy Seals spectating was when they ran the Pike's Peak toll gate to start line. First car out at 3 am. Road closed to all spectators. We left at 10 pm with a backpack of beer, light clothing, during some steady rain. Hiked around the toll gate and walked up the road about 3 miles. The four of us cuddled up together on a tarp and took turns spooning trying to avoid hypothermia. It was only the sound of Richard's anti-lag that kept us all from dying that night. I have video somewhere. It was awesome.
We did a desert hike at night to spectate Laughlin one year that was also totally awesome. The desert is cooler at night I've always felt though.

Grant Hughes
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 12:16PM
My favorite was at Olympus, it was either 86 or 87 and we had our old Chevy Truck and a county map. We headed out and decided we were going to find a road in and then hike into one of the stages, find a good place to watch and be happy.

Well, we had official stickers on the truck because we were also volunteering, but this was our day off. By "our" I mean my family, dad, mom, two brothers, myself.

We find our access road, if you can call it that, large trail/path might be a better way of describing it. But hey, we've got an old truck, we can go anywhere right?

Turns out, about 6-7 cars were following us, and they too thought that they could go anywhere, and they did, over small logs, huge ruts, getting momentarily lost in crater sized potholes.

We finally get to a downed tree that non of us can get past. We all get out, my dad asks all these people behind us what the heck they are doing following us in cars down this kind of road. Their answer.... "rental car". Turns out they were all from other countries here to spectate, saw our stickers and figured we'd be the best person to follow. We all hiked about a mile in, found a great place to watch and had a great time. Watching all of them trying to get their rental cars out ended up being pretty entertaining as well.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 12, 2008 12:34PM
That's an awesome story.
The first year at Cog they added Sunday stages, it was only for the national guys, so we loaded up a Suburban of us and a bunch of beer and drove to a junction we knew of to spectate. It was quite fun sitting on top of the Suburban drinking beer and watching. Pat Moro joined us unfortunately for him at the time, though he was stoked to have a cold beer ready for him after he DNF'd with engine failure at the junction.

Grant Hughes
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

June 12, 2008 12:40PM
I kind of have issues with the beer drinking parts though. I know it's common practice and I know that most people aren't going to go overboard and do something dumb, but mixing motorsports and alcohol just seems a scary practice to me. I was pretty young at the time, but I'm pretty sure that one of the Oregon rallies back in the early 80's we lost someone on their way home after the event because they'd been drinking and then thought that they could drive the roads out like they'd seen the entrants doing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about my facts, like I said, I was pretty young, but I'm pretty sure I recall my parents talking about the tragedy. Hence my refusual to ever let anyone with me bring any form of alcohol, even beer, into the woods, I make them wait for the awards cerimony or until they've gotten home after.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 12, 2008 05:46PM
Glad to see the post was of interest. To clarify (again), I wasn't there. I found this post on GalantVR4.org that was apparently copied from another board as well. The pictures are good quality and I though the story was refreshing, as the people involved are good guys who just love the sport. They haven't been caught up in any sanctioning body drama or politics. They just wanted to get out and watch everyone throw down.

Hope everyone gets in touch with everyone else and can see a bit of the other's perspective. smiling smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
gtluke
luke kelly
Mega Moderator

June 12, 2008 11:40PM
well this was unexpected.
this story was posted on private forums, and was never intended to get into the rally community. not that i care but i did write a long public version of the story.
take my words with a grain of salt about per. i'm from new jersey, we are what you might say.. harsh with our language. i apologize to per for my name calling. i didn't mean to say things behind your back, i meant to say this to people who have no idea who you even are. i feel that you were extraordinarily rude to us. even if we were coming to the rally, we did aid at least some, and you would not even acknowledge our existence. you said hi to me when jason forced you to, but nothing else, ever. when i came into the tech building to tell jason i was leaving, you wouldn't even look at me so i could say good luck or bye, or anything. nobody was around, nobody was talking to you. i thought that was odd, until you did that ever single time i saw you that weekend. you refused to make eye contact with me. i tried several times to say good luck, looking good, or whatever. even after the rally was over i came over to say congratulations but you stared elsewhere so that i couldn't even say congratulations for finishing a rally. again, i'm from new jersey. i'm used to being treated like crap but this was definitely deliberate avoidance. a simple "hi, how are you. thanks for bringing jason over, now if you excuse me i'm pretty busy" or a nod when i would come by to the fairgrounds... i got nothing but a cold shoulder.
whatever, really i don't care and i really don't take it personally, hence the mooning on stage 2. and i still took more pictures of your car than anyone elses, but man when i couldn't even say congrats at the end of the rally i just felt like crap for trying.
and yes i took pictures of per's book and illegally hiked into the woods to watch stages 1 and 2. the spectator stages started friday at 7pm, but in order to get jason there we had to be there on thursday at 4. we had some serious time to kill so we wanted to watch some rally. as far as alcohol, zero was consumed all weekend. we were safe. in fact this is not a sue happy american, 3 years ago i was struck by a car on my motorcycle and instead of suing the driver who was breaking about 6 laws at once while he was u-turning in an intersection and smashed into the side of me... i paid $50,000 in medical bills out of my pocket when i could have sued him.
so now you know who typed the story and why.
and as far as the confusing heading, i typed this out on a local board, copied it and pasted it into another board and i added the heading of "i just typed this out for a local board, so it might be confusing with names and now its all one post... you get the idea and i'm too beat to fix it. haha"
so now its on a 3rd board and even more confused. heh.

this is the public story
http://rallyaddict.com/content/view/22/1/
this is the public album
http://rallyaddict.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,32/?g2_itemId=8631
if you see your car, shoot me an email at gtluke@gtluke.com and i'll upload the full res files for you to have.

i apologize for the drama.
-luke-

86gt-turbo 10.8@123-pte67gtq, 91 galant-turbo 12.8@106-14b

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 05:58AM by gtluke.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

June 12, 2008 11:57PM
I was checking out the new saabfarm saab at the green and Per saw me and said hi!
He even remembered my forum nick and pointed it out to Jason!
I seriously doubt he intentionally avoided you or was rude intentionally. I didnt realize the older gentleman whom we had a conversation and a laugh with was his father whom was pretty friendly as well.

Oscar

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

June 13, 2008 12:26AM
ahhhh, LOVE the internet!

grinning smiley

points for posting up, Luke. imo, of course.

Nice pics. winking smiley

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
GRMPer
Per Schroeder
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1977 Saab 99

June 13, 2008 06:37AM
Again, I apologize. Not that it's a really good reason, but I was busy when Jason introduced us and I was busy when the car car was going through tech (listening, for example, as to whether or not a hydraulic brake is considered an ebrake at STPR--it's not and I was sweating bullets wondering if someone was going to make a big deal of it, like they did with the car next to us in line.) and honestly, after that I wouldn't have recognized you if I tried and I don't remember anyone coming up to me afterwards, and certainly no one that I 'ignored' intentionally. I met probably 100 people last weekend and I'm not even that good with names. I actually thought one group of guys were 'you' at the end and I offered them GRM shirts to thank them for coming out. They looked at me funny, but happily took the shirts. Once I recognize someone by either their login or name (Hi Turoc/Oscar!) I'm actually pretty nice.

Meh, enough with the drama. Yours were some of the better pictures I've seen. If you've got some more of the Saab I'd like to see them.

Per

Edited to clarify.

Per

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 07:03AM by GRMPer.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

June 13, 2008 09:08AM
Hey! WHeres my Shirt?
smiling smiley

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login