Posted by Porter 
Porter
Jason Liss
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
86 XR4TI

Sooooper Newby From Cleveland Ohio
June 28, 2008 07:36PM
Hello. My name is Jason Liss. Fresh meat for the old timers to rag on.

I own 3 XR4TI's. The reason I'm here is that my 86 Ratty will be my rally toy. I will be starting to start working on it shortly. Currently recovering from knee surgery. So I will be working on this car once I'm able to do so. I have read these forums a few times. I watch WRC when I can. I feel I have enough craziness to do this and nuts to fill a wheel barrel. So I hope to learn as much as possible and apply it to my car.

Cheers,

Jason
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Sooooper Newby From Cleveland Ohio
June 29, 2008 08:33AM
Porter Wrote:
> I own 3 XR4TI's.

You've just made 10 lifelong friends and 10 lifelong enemies. They will be notifying you shortly. *grin*

What are your questions right now as far as "next steps"?

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
starion887
starion887
Elite Moderator

June 29, 2008 09:32AM
So Jason,

Are you coming to Rally WV (Elkins WV, July31-Aug2) to learn some fo the ropes of how a rally is run? Try to come down and volunteer for a work position; it's the best way to get a taste of how the event runs and how the cars check into stages, etc.

See www.rallywv.com

Hope the knee recovers well; been there!

Hope you can make it!
Mark B.
mothra
Matt Smith
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

June 29, 2008 10:09AM
Anders Green Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Porter Wrote:
> > I own 3 XR4TI's.
>
> You've just made 10 lifelong friends and 10
> lifelong enemies. They will be notifying you
> shortly. *grin*
>
> What are your questions right now as far as "next
> steps"?
>
> Cheers,
> Anders
>
> Raleigh, NC

I think I ressemble that remark but I only own 1.5 xr4ti's. I used to own 2 but one of them has slowly been left at various places in the southeast. I should be at Rally WV with the rally XR if you want to check out a few things and I can tell you about all the things I did wrong.

> Impreza H6 3.0

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 29, 2008 10:13AM
Hi Jason, I got your email but
I'm in China chasing possible sooper bitchin parts (and the Chinese WILL build stuff to a high spec and good materials if I ask them)( like maybe 1.9 or 2,0 turn lock to lock rack guts--that'd be fun, eh?) and I'll get to your projects soon, it's 23.15 now on Sunday so beddy bye time now.
I just wanted to say fer sure find a way to hook up with m
Mark Bowers and that loonie Anders Green and get down to Waste Viginnity and see what's involved.

Rally Waste Virginity is really the sort of event you should target doing, as well as Anders's Sand Blast so really make it down and look around, and volunteer to go block a road or be crowd control or sumpin.

I should really stress that you must be very careful with who you choose to make the cage, and not merely price, but compliance.

In the mean time search around and use the search thing, there's TONS of Xratty specific info here, and we have all of Ford motorsports manuals hosted somewhere.

You gonna be ready for ordering suspension sometimes soon?

I'll be back on 12 July so lets talk.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 29, 2008 10:27AM
Hey! I'm from Cleveland, too! (But I haven't lived there in something like 26yrs.)

Welcome to the fray.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 29, 2008 12:37PM
hey there,

I'm the second most recent newb, but I already have the experience to give you a little roll cage advice in agreement with sir JVL. I believed a guy with a good reputation, people in magazines wrote about what good timely work he did, but I made the error of believing him when he told me he had done a bunch of rally cars. He does track stuff. He put a cage in my volvo that couldn't be log-booked, the roof bars were too low, the door bars too high, the list went on and on. It took me about six hours to cut it all out.

Save up your pennies and get a real pro to do it. It the only part only part you can't unbolt and swap out. Makes a big difference if you ever want to sell the car, too.

Best luck. Al.

Porter
Jason Liss
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
86 XR4TI

June 29, 2008 01:45PM
Thank you for the warm greetings. I'm kinda unable to go far due to physical therapy. I will try to goto the later events this year. Knee is getting better, but slowly. I have been blue printing and coming up with ideas for the car. I'm not a cheap ass by any means. I beleave in function and quality. Then I worry about the price. I will get the rule books and read them till I recite them in my sleep. LOL. I will do my research. I do have the Ford Motorsport book. Lots of info in that book. Plus I have been slowly getting tool together. Plan on having a small machine shop. That won't happen till I buy a house. I just got a small 3 axis drill press that I can start doing some smaller work. Thank you. I will talk to you when you get back J.V.

Jason L.
Porter
Jason Liss
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
86 XR4TI

July 03, 2008 07:00PM
After reading older posts. I'm surprised by the amount of XR owners here. The wealth of information is staggering. I'm very impressed with this forum. I'm glad to be able to enjoy it.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

July 03, 2008 10:48PM
Also a newb. Along with my best friend, I'm building a '63 Saab 96 for Historic Class. Hope to debut it at the Paris Rally in Texas this November.

Meeting all the safety rules has been easy. Trying to put some power in the car (ha!), and still keep it "historic" has been a challenge.

FWIW, I bought a '89 XR4ti when they were new...

Jason McDaniel
iRACECAR
Roy Farrell
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
A sullen Scirocco awaiting a transfusion of blood, sweat, tears, and heaping armfuls of non-existent money.

July 06, 2008 08:50PM
Might as well jump in and indicate that I'm a very recent arrival, too. A friend and I are looking to build an '87 Scirocco up that I got for free after it was hit by a box truck (not even remotely as dramatic as that sounds, the dent was fixed with a rubber mallet and the side window replaced in all of about ten minutes, and it's still perfectly straight). It's true about the enormous wealth of information available here. I've found much more USEFUL information in ten minutes here than I could find in an entire day of slogging through SS.

Not only that, this forum is a hell of a lot more exciting to read, partially because of the freedom to express one's opinion AND partially because everyone is incredibly fired up about running old, tired, weird, beat-up, outrageous and perfectly capable vehicles that would have otherwise been long ago consigned to the scrap heap.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 06, 2008 10:14PM
iRACECAR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might as well jump in and indicate that I'm a very
> recent arrival, too. A friend and I are looking to
> build an '87 Scirocco up that I got for free after
> it was hit by a box truck (not even remotely as
> dramatic as that sounds, the dent was fixed with a
> rubber mallet and the side window replaced in all
> of about ten minutes, and it's still perfectly
> straight). It's true about the enormous wealth of
> information available here. I've found much more
> USEFUL information in ten minutes here than I
> could find in an entire day of slogging through
> SS.

Well welcome aboard.
Here's some news you missed which was somewhere posted at SS.com years ago:

Much as you like the 'rocco, you know its just a Rare-bit with hard to find sheetmetal and glass, and poor outwards visibility but with Rarebits well know general flimseiness.

Seriously, do yourself and your crew a favor and get a Golf if you must do a VW.

MORE ROOM inside, a snap to find junk-n-stuff like glass,hoods, ROOFs etc
>
> Not only that, this forum is a hell of a lot more
> exciting to read, partially because of the freedom
> to express one's opinion AND partially because
> everyone is incredibly fired up about running old,
> tired, weird, beat-up, outrageous and perfectly
> capable vehicles that would have otherwise been
> long ago consigned to the scrap heap.

Well look at some of the principle participants here vs there.

WE trash stuff built locally, run locally and a lot of us spend a lot of time helping eachother out.

The priciple people at SS.com either merely ride in the passenger seat, or were very fortunate in the computer world and could buy preparation of really silly expensive Audi stuff---not that it did him any good---or buy and prep several Evos.
Everything is just fine for them.

WE have to try and figure out a way WE can do this.
They can just write a check if the surf's not perfect.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
iRACECAR
Roy Farrell
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
A sullen Scirocco awaiting a transfusion of blood, sweat, tears, and heaping armfuls of non-existent money.

July 07, 2008 09:45AM
We thought about long and hard about going with a Golf, and the original plan was to take my old Jetta and build it up, but between the two of us we have three extra shells, piles of good glass, six hatches (they breed in my yard, for some reason), four spare doors, salvageable hoods, and pretty much anything else you can think of, and that's even before you get into the somewhat local VW charnel house, where several more reside and can be pilfered for good stuff for a pittance.

It's more difficult finding a non-rotted Mk2 Golf/GTI/Jetta around here because of the local late-model krauters deciding that they need to pick up project cars for street cred on daddy's money. Sciroccos, however, are kind of like the flimsy, forgotten bastard children that nobody wants to deal with, and can be had cheaply by those in the know. But like the Six Million Dollar Man, we can rebuild him - we have the technology. For slightly less than six million dollars. Maybe.

Okay, maybe not, but humor me.

I agree completely on the flimsiness part, but there's a few fair options to take care of the really awful spots like the front control arm mounting points and the front radiator support. Despite common sense, it's still a very solid car for free with good parts availability (for us, at least). Not only that, it's got a very sound 2.0l 16v already residing under the hood with a set of brand new poly bushings and inserts in both the engine/tranny mounts and throughout the suspension, among many other goodies.

It's hardly the best choice for a rally car, but it's just much more convenient than a Mk2 in our particular situation.

It could be far, far worse, we could be doing a Corrado.

At this point, I'm just trying to formulate a picture of what needs to be done with the car, but luckily there are plenty of things to spend money on that are completely transferable between the generations before we even touch the shell. That way, the options are still wide open in the event that we DO happen across a Golf. It's going to be a while, anyway, as there are many ducks to get in this particular row before we take to the woods, and I'd rather ensure the job gets done mostly right the first time instead of flailing wildly at the car until it smokes and sputters to life.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

July 07, 2008 10:11AM
I have owned 3 16v sciroccos in the past and love em as street cars. I also Currently run a Mk2 GTI rally car. All my spares besides the body parts etc are my spares for the gti now. I would love to own a scirocco rally car but I know it wouldnt be very reasonable. Parts can be found and are not as scarce as they say. However other issues like head room, chasis strength etc are issues I would rather not deal with. Sciroccos, like mk2 Golfs are not cheap anymore. It would be hard to find a rust free/running/clean scirocco for less than 1500. If your scirocco is a mk1 i would just keep it as a street car. Sciroccos are built on mk1 golf chasis' and are pretty flimsy(Ask Tom B if he would build a mk1 again) The only advantage is they came with decent power (2nd generation 16v) and are lightweight. Sell all the parts and start with a mk3. I would reconsider before i would start a scirocco project. Since mk2s are hard to find and not cheap (almost non at junkyards or all scavenged)I am considering building an mk3 for next year. More reliable, no major electrical issues= less hassle etc...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

July 07, 2008 04:12PM
Me has a scirocco street car, mk2 golf rally car (for sale), and if I were to build a VW I'd build a mk3 simply because they're easier to find than mk2.

My rocco from last weekend checking out a potential new stage for LSPR:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login