deviantek
Erich Kirchhauser
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
92 Mitsu Evo 1 GSR

Stage Sweeper?
November 21, 2008 06:53PM
Hey all,

Since I don't have the 2wd experience behind my belt that RA requires for its stage rally runs (driving an AWD evo) I was instead thinking of just running stages as a sweeper. How does one get this position? As a matter of fact, the previous owner of my car dedicated it to doing just that.

Any info would be truly appreciated... bring on the gravel.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

Re: Stage Sweeper?
November 21, 2008 07:10PM
A Ham or some sort of medical license (EMT etc would help) as well as a heavy duty SUV! Sweep does what its supposed to = sweep (although I have seen sedans doing the job when resources are not available). I think you should be asking more about course openning cars such as 0, 00, 000

NASA rallies (plenty in your neck of the woods) do not have a restriction on 4wd turbo cars.

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 21, 2008 07:13PM
deviantek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey all,
>
> Since I don't have the 2wd experience behind my
> belt that RA requires for its stage rally runs
> (driving an AWD evo) I was instead thinking of
> just running stages as a sweeper. How does one get
> this position? As a matter of fact, the previous
> owner of my car dedicated it to doing just that.
>
> Any info would be truly appreciated... bring on
> the gravel.

iN most OF THE WORLD, IT'S not A WAY FOR A BUDDY OF WHOEVER TO RUN EVENT AFTER EVENT SEASON AFTER SEASON (FUCKING CAPS LOCK! aNNA bOO BOO GIRL HAS BEEN LEARNING TO TYPE--SHE'S REALLY GOOD FOR UNDER 4 BUT FORGETS TO SET IT BACK) NEVER DOING EVENTS AS A COMPETITor like we saw with some cars here.
MOST of the world will be gracious enough to keep a slot open for guys who've had a lay off or need a shake down in a new car, or as a mark of respect for previous comprtitiors who may want to just have a some fun but not run 100%.

So if you want to be permanent Sweep or Pace, maybe go down to Olympia and suck some caulk, maybe bend over and then whoever makes the decisions will lurv you and you can do events for free forever.

I hear some sweep guys demand--and have been getting motels, gas, all sorts of goodies.
Sounds pretty good.

(Hope the slight bit of ever so gentle poking fun is not too subtle to understand).

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
deviantek
Erich Kirchhauser
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
92 Mitsu Evo 1 GSR

November 21, 2008 07:44PM
turoc Wrote:
> NASA rallies (plenty in your neck of the woods) do
> not have a restriction on 4wd turbo cars.

I wasn't implying they have restrictions on 4wd turbo, but rather a requirement of starting amateur on 2wd, or as least that's how I understand RA does it.

Eddie Fiorelli
Eddie Fiorelli
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 VW GTI

November 21, 2008 08:11PM
deviantek Wrote:
> turoc Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NASA rallies (plenty in your neck of the
> woods) do
> > not have a restriction on 4wd turbo cars.
>
> I wasn't implying they have restrictions on 4wd
> turbo, but rather a requirement of starting
> amateur on 2wd, or as least that's how I
> understand RA does it.
>
>
>

I think there is some misunderstanding. Yes, that's how RA does it, although there is a waiver you can get if you can back up your experience.

More importantly though, NASA and Rally America are completely different sanctioning bodies. NASA has no req't that newbies start in 2wd!

Do NASA events until you have the experience to get a waiver from RA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 08:13PM by Eddie Fiorelli.
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Elite Moderator

November 21, 2008 08:14PM
First of all, EARN, an amateur radio license. It's something like thirty-five questions. This goes a long way towards proving your versatility. On a side note, consider working some public service events as a ham radio operator to get a feel for a directed net. That way ,when gravel is flying up in the fenderwells and you can barely hear yourself thinking, you can make the call on the radio and come out sounding like a professional.

At least for the 100 Acre Wood, course opening is a prestige position. I'd suggest sitting as co-driver for someone a few times. You get a feel for the demands of doing course opening work.

The following is from the 2008 edition of the 100 Acre Wood safety plan

Car 000 (there will be two Car 000’s, leap-frogging) will be primarily responsible for verifying the placement of all workers, assuring all bannering is correct and unbroken, clearing the course of any civilians, and assuring stage integrity has been achieved.

Car 00 is charged with all of the above paying particular attention to spectator area containment and spectators not at approved viewing locations. They are also responsible for verifying route instructions for accuracy.

Car 0 duplicates Car 00’s duties but typically will be running at speeds higher than that of the previous course opening vehicles. These are the last sets of eyes on the course prior to competition; they must review the road, start and finish controls, all marshal locations and spectator areas for event readiness. Any variance must be corrected before the stage is allowed to start.

What does all this mean? It means you don't come into a finish control in a mini-van with HANS and full face helmets and the brake discs glowing. You do verify that Bubba isn't going to come out of his meth lab hidey hole. You do verify that the banner tape is up and in place.

As your working your way through the stages, be sure to stop and say thanks to the stage marshals, finish control workers, fire & rescue personnel, and law enforcement (some of them look less than favorably on our sport, so expressing your appreciation can do wonders)

I'm not an expert, but I have four years experience as navigator, radio op for both 000 and 00 for the 100 Acre Wood. I hope this helps.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
deviantek
Erich Kirchhauser
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
92 Mitsu Evo 1 GSR

November 21, 2008 08:21PM
Good info, thanks smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 21, 2008 09:09PM
deviantek Wrote:
> turoc Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NASA rallies (plenty in your neck of the
> woods) do
> > not have a restriction on 4wd turbo cars.
>
> I wasn't implying they have restrictions on 4wd
> turbo, but rather a requirement of starting
> amateur on 2wd, or as least that's how I
> understand RA does it.

That is of course unless you have the same Media Management Corporation as all the in-crowd does like Travvie and Kenny and Davvy, CowieBoyie.
maybe a call to Wasserman Media group in LA can solve your problems and you can get a waiver.

Rules are really only binding for the pee-ons.

(Been listening to the Financial and Market news lately? YOU have to pay back things with 15-30% intrest, THEY don't even have to pay for things they sell.)
>
>
>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 21, 2008 09:40PM
Advance or sweep are not supposed to be people rallying without an entry fee. Volunteers are always appreciated however. DooWops is covered this year for support vehicles. As a newbie you should also learn how the timing systems work, so volunteering for stage work is beneficial. Helping at tech also good. Even the lowly road guard gets to have some of the best spectating around. Lots of ways to help, getting a ham license is a huge benefit as mentioned.

DooWops are NASA Rally Sport events, so you can run without car restrictions. If you finish the weekend you get 4 coefs that count toward RA requirements. I'd bet that and a letter to JB would likely get a waiver for Oregon Trail. Finish that and you're out of the woods...groan...teeheee...

Gene McCullough
DooWop Co-chair
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

November 21, 2008 09:50PM
With the addition of the open light class RA says they arnt doing waivers anymore.
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 21, 2008 10:18PM
Carl S Wrote:
> With the addition of the open light class RA says
> they arnt doing waivers anymore.

Yeah, I realized that right after my post. He could still pull the turbo and run Open Light.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 22, 2008 12:05PM
Hurst clarified that they will grant exemptions based upon previous motorsports experience over on the other forum, somewhere in some Colorado thread.

Like the other guys said though, you can get the coefficients from NASA events. You've got at least Mt Hood and Doo Wop that are NASA. And you can always ask for an exemption for any of the other RA events. You either get it, or you do NASA/CARS events for the first couple years.

The zero cars as John said, are usually an elite group to get into. So is this the Evo 7 RS from Colorado?

Grant Hughes
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

November 22, 2008 12:50PM
Man, I hope to be able to run a 4wd car someday. They must be the snot on the cat's ass. Here people are trying to do ANYTHING to stay out of a pukey 2wd blahmobile at any cost!

"What can I do to not demean meself by crawling into a peon car? I'll do sweep, advance, check to see if headlights work...anything! Just DON'T MAKE ME DRIVE A (shivers) TWO WHEEL DRIVE CAR! (Wow...I feel dirty just talkin' 'bout it.)"

Hmm. As much fun as I've had in 15 years of 2wd cars, my head would probly explode if I ever experienced the added funness of a "REAL" rally car!

I will someday...maybe. I'll have to check the rules and see if I qualify for one yet.

When did 2wd become a "sentence" instead of a choice?

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 02:56PM by Lurch.
Bill Beers
Bill Beers
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'77 G2 Rabbit

November 22, 2008 05:35PM
Keep pluggin' away at it Eric, you'll get there!

Hell, you might even get some help from a OEM after you get into an AWD car!

-Bill
deviantek
Erich Kirchhauser
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
92 Mitsu Evo 1 GSR

November 22, 2008 07:55PM
Lurch Wrote:
>
> "What can I do to not demean meself by crawling
> into a peon car? I'll do sweep, advance, check to
> see if headlights work...anything! Just DON'T
> MAKE ME DRIVE A (shivers) TWO WHEEL DRIVE CAR!
> (Wow...I feel dirty just talkin' 'bout it.)"

> Lurch
> Eric Burmeister

Well hey, if you feel like shipping me over a 2wd rally prepped & logged car, by all means. However until my personal finances are able to sustain the cost of another car, I'll stick to my AWD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login