Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Not that I'm jumping on the bandwagon...

Posted by Eddie Fiorelli 
gkd
George Doganis
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic

gkd
Re: Not that I'm jumping on the bandwagon...
June 20, 2011 10:07PM
urr
With proper tires, more set up time, some traction during the launch I should be able to challenge Andrew

Andrew,

So what is the proper tire for rallycross?

George
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 20, 2011 10:50PM
urr
I was never a big Honda fan but there are a surprising number of Honda rally/road/rallycross cars being campaigned around the globe, with success.

The EP3 Civic is a very popular gravel car in Sweden, Norway and Finland. The EK and EG's are used by Irish tarmac ralliest.

I raced my EG6 civic hatch in Colorado over the weekend. It weighs 2300lbs with me in it in rallycross trim (no co-driver seat etc) and makes 225hp and 165tq at the wheels. It's a K20A3 motor with a supercharger tuned on E85. We could have got more power out of it but since it's going to live on the ragged edge for 5 minutes at a time, we stopped adding timing.

I qualified less than 1 second behind a fully developed 996 Rallycross car from Sweden. I understand his car cost around $150k....the civic around $10-12k.

Here's the final race:

With proper tires, more set up time, some traction during the launch I should be able to challenge the Porsche for a win.

Andrew

Cody qualified faster than the Porche at Seattle in his Honda.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 20, 2011 11:48PM
BillyElliot

When some N/A volvo can beat my 160hp at the crank, maybe I'll step up my game to build a 2.0L monster. Until then, all I need is 160hp and gutless torque to beat your Volvos.

Ever hear "in the land of blind men, a one eyed man is King" ?

seems you're mainly interested in bragging how cool YOU are.

Go for it.

I'll guess I'll just have to take those other guys word for it that you're not just a cocky boy, but I'll say this: dialog is awfully difficult when you only want to brag..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

June 21, 2011 10:58AM
Running a Honda, and getting good power for the money was, in my opinion, my best choice. It has proven good enough so far against any G2 Volvo I have faced. I'm just comparing your apples to my oranges anyway.

As much as I want to build a screamer, it still revs close to 9000rpm from the factory. But I would want to go over 9000... so I can put a Vegeta decal on my car claiming it's OVER 9000!!!!

urr
Andrew Sutherland
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
June 21, 2011 11:53AM
phlat65

Cody qualified faster than the Porche at Seattle in his Honda.

He certainly drove like a Rockstar all weekend. On Saturday when the course dried out, the advantage of FWD in the wet went away and Erickson put his stamp on all of the heat races and the main.

George - I think the Avon's or another RX specific tire is the way to go, for the tracks we had this year. I ran a mix of Toyo R888's and RA1's.

Andrew
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

June 21, 2011 12:06PM
BillyElliot

As much as I want to build a screamer, it still revs close to 9000rpm from the factory. But I would want to go over 9000... so I can put a Vegeta decal on my car claiming it's OVER 9000!!!!

Then you'll turn into a giant monkey.
volvo > giant monkey
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 21, 2011 01:09PM
I really feel for you guys sometimes. So much work, so little power.

Ya know, I hate corrected dyno charts. It would be better to just report the real number and elevation. Corrections are almost always inflated in my opinion.
derek
Derek Bottles
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

June 21, 2011 03:46PM
Hey I have no problem with Honda's I own one and it is a fine car, much better car then the Subaru I owned. I just wonder about all these numbers I see tossed about. I wonder if fixating on a number such as peak HP is a bad idea or if the magic math of corrected HP is, well magic except where it counts out on the stage when it reverts to normal Newtonian physics...

I do recall one good fight with Derik Nelson in his Honda where we traded a few stage wins and even tied on a stage in my fairly heavy golf (2600 Lbs) with a miserly 152 whp (uncorrected).
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

June 21, 2011 04:17PM
derek
Hey I have no problem with Honda's I own one and it is a fine car, much better car then the Subaru I owned. I just wonder about all these numbers I see tossed about. I wonder if fixating on a number such as peak HP is a bad idea or if the magic math of corrected HP is, well magic except where it counts out on the stage when it reverts to normal Newtonian physics...

I do recall one good fight with Derik Nelson in his Honda where we traded a few stage wins and even tied on a stage in my fairly heavy golf (2600 Lbs) with a miserly 152 whp (uncorrected).

It's more about comparing your torque/gearing to what you have. With my close ratio 3,4,5 I get ~1500rpm drops when shifting at 8300rpm in my car from 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 (my 1->2 is terrible at like 3500 or something). Going with the ITR motor, I'll go from a 4.4 to a 4.9 final since I will see higher revs. Therefore, on top of a ~17% torque and ~25% power increase, I'll gain another ~11% through the final drive upgrade.

Only downside is top speed with a close ratio box. However, when I only bounced off the limiter in 5th on 100AW once, and a couple times at Rally TN (came close at Sno*Drift) I'm not so worried about that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login