Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Recce notes
August 01, 2012 11:09AM
Andrew_Frick
...you can also play tricks on your self with your notes for example rather than using a cation on a complicated or dangerous turn you can just make the note a slightly tighter corner which should cause you to scrub the extra speed that you want without overly complicating the notes.

If your notes typically describe the angle of the corner, where a 3 is typically the same angle, the only thing that artificially downgrading a 'caution' corner will do is hurt your confidence in your notes. You'll inherently not trust your notes because what you 'call' isn't what you always get. This will particularly hurt in poor visibility.

There is a particularly narrow stage with exposures in Merritt BC. I'd bet just about everyone's notes for that road are littered with 'keep in' and I know, for a while, our notes were artificially downgraded in spots. When we started to ignore the exposures and just drive the right line on the road, we picked up significant speed and felt safer.

Andrew_Frick
McCrae used 1-6 where the number was how hard he could drive the corner 1 being slow way down, 6 being max attack
Not exactly. He described his system as the number being the gear for the corner - or if the corner was in isolation, what gear would you be in to go around it.

With the prevalence of Jemba notes in the US, it makes a lot of sense to write notes that mirror the style and syntax of Jemba. Using a system that is based on an objective measurement, rather than a subjective impression, also makes a lot of sense.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 11:31AM by Morison.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
SgtRauksauff
Jorden
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
whichever one i happen to be driving at the time

August 01, 2012 11:27AM
bah. notes are cheating. the only reason a codriver has them is because it gives them something to do while they're waiting to have to push/pull/fix the car when it breaks, and to give the driver a frustration venting pathway. But if they realized that's all they're there for, they'd never do it. So they get to keep the notes. And the drivers now use them as a crutch instead of just using their eyeballs. Safety? Vehicle longevity? Avoidance of death? humbug!

smiling smiley

---** To be in compliance with the Anarchy **---
Jorden R. Kleier
Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
1990 Mazdog Protege 4WD
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 01, 2012 12:33PM
Morison
If your notes typically describe the angle of the corner, where a 3 is typically the same angle, the only thing that artificially downgrading a 'caution' corner will do is hurt your confidence in your notes. You'll inherently not trust your notes because what you 'call' isn't what you always get. This will particularly hurt in poor visibility.

Having one corner or two per 100 that is downgraded will have very little result in confidence. It's the other direction, calling a 4 a 6 that creates serious issues with confidence.
Doesn't everyone remove all the exposure calls in notes anyhow? That's why night stages are good for stages with big exposures. Out of sight, out of mind.

Grant Hughes
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 01, 2012 01:55PM
NoCoast
Having one corner or two per 100 that is downgraded will have very little result in confidence.
My experience is different, at least with drivers who have a lot of experience on notes and who typically trust their notes.
I've seen drivers come in to a corner they consiously downgraded for safety, as little as a half grade, who then commit less to the following corners for several KM, if not the whole stage. They aslo regularly ask for a correction, upgrading the corner.

NoCoast
It's the other direction, calling a 4 a 6 that creates serious issues with confidence.
In terms of confidence in what the notes are telling you, there's no difference. In terms of being able to commit and push on the notes, the upgrade is clearly has more serious consequenses and will kill confidence in pushing on the notes much qucker. I know it is an example, but a two grades is a mistake, not an adjustment. I'm also not sure what would make someone artificially upgrade a corner.

NoCoast
Doesn't everyone remove all the exposure calls in notes anyhow? That's why night stages are good for stages with big exposures. Out of sight, out of mind.
Mostly. But sometimes knowing the consequenses is valuable. (Idaho 2008 had something like a 1000ft drop on the outside of a L1) Generally knowing the severity (care, caution, danger) is enough and avoids any chance of target fixation.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
czwalga
steve czwalga
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

August 01, 2012 02:33PM
NoCoast
Morison

Having one corner or two per 100 that is downgraded will have very little result in confidence. It's the other direction, calling a 4 a 6 that creates serious issues with confidence.

Maybe i'm a pussy, but I like to know that stuff. I'm in it for fun... I want to be fast but not driving my car of a cliff is more important to me, ironic cause I just rolled last weekend haha.

But seriously from what I found an exposure is only called out on the notes if it's really severe. I've seen very few but when they were called out they were note worthy in my opinion.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 01, 2012 02:33PM
I never artificially downgrade my notes and if a codriver does it to fool me, it irritates the hell out of me. If you want me to take it slower, tell me "brake", "care", or "caution", but give me the right value for the turn. I aint' dumb - I'll do what you say, but if what you gave me doesn't jibe with what I've been seeing I'm going to start wondering if I can trust you.

During recce I've occasionally upgraded a corner's speed, or made it "short", or "late", or (rarely) "cut". Generally that's because the organizer-supplied stage notes are using a middle-of-the-road line and the road's really wide so I can effectively straighten it out. That happened a lot at Idaho on the wide part of Grimes Pass and much of Harris Creek.

I get rid of stuff like exposures from my notes. Don't want to hear about them. The exception is if there's a caution attached to it. Then I wanna know what the caution's for.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 01, 2012 02:34PM
Morison
I'm also not sure what would make someone artificially upgrade a corner.

I've done it to see if I could trick myself into not lifting and taking the corner flat out and just dealing with it. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 01, 2012 02:49PM
NoCoast
I've done it to see if I could trick myself into not lifting and taking the corner flat out and just dealing with it. smiling smiley
That's where modifiers come in.
Flat R4
or if you think you'll still lift
Deceptive Flat R4

In this case 'flat' means 'flat out' or 'flat to the floor' - but in some instances 'flat' could mean something else. 'Flat Crest' could simply describe the profile of the crest, not how to attack it.
Pick any word that is distinct and that tells you to commit. You could use Ruckus R4 to indicate that you can give it all the power you have and still not be in over your head. :-)

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 01, 2012 03:34PM
Morison
NoCoast
That's where modifiers come in.
Flat R4
or if you think you'll still lift
Deceptive Flat R4

In this case 'flat' means 'flat out' or 'flat to the floor' - but in some instances 'flat' could mean something else. 'Flat Crest' could simply describe the profile of the crest, not how to attack it.
Pick any word that is distinct and that tells you to commit. You could use Ruckus R4 to indicate that you can give it all the power you have and still not be in over your head. :-)

^^^This

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 01, 2012 03:34PM
hoche
I never artificially downgrade my notes and if a codriver does it to fool me, it irritates the hell out of me. If you want me to take it slower, tell me "brake", "care", or "caution", but give me the right value for the turn. I aint' dumb - I'll do what you say, but if what you gave me doesn't jibe with what I've been seeing I'm going to start wondering if I can trust you..

and ^^^this

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
SteveT
Steve Thompson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 Impreza being prepped, going backwards

August 08, 2012 02:15PM
hoche
Hi Luke,

Glad you could join us.

Yes, yes, I have heard of slip angle. And I think you'll find if you review your math that until you're way up on the edge of traction, your slip angle is virtually nil. Enough that it can be discarded when it comes to talking about using steering wheel angles around turns.

On street tires, generally they'll start squealing when slip angle comes into play (which is, indirectly, what causes the squealing), but if you're below the squeal point, it's the same steering angle to navigate the turn regardless of the vehicle's speed.

If you really don't believe me, it's pretty simple to just go out and try it.

Hmmmm...., no. If we assume that a normal car has approximately a 2.5 deg/g understeer gradient, a wheelbase of 115" and an overall steering ratio of 15:1 the math works out as follows:

Assume a 0.1g lateral acceleration at 15mph. This yields a turn radius of 151ft (R = V^2/a).

Ackermann front wheel steer angle A = L/R = 9.58ft(wheelbase in ft)/ 151ft = 0.063rad = 3.61deg

Steer angle due with understeer component = A+u = 3.61deg + (0.1g * 2.5deg/g) = 3.86deg

Steering wheel angle at 15mph = Front wheel angle * Steering Ratio = 3.86deg * 15 = 57.9 deg

Repeating the above for the same radius corner of 151ft and 40mph yields:

Ay = V^2/r = (40*1.47)^2/151 = 22.9ft/sec^2 = 0.71g

Ackermann = 3.61deg

Steer angle due to understeer component = 3.61deg + (0.71g * 2.5deg/g) = 5.385deg

Steering wheel angle at 40mph = 5.385deg * 15 = 80.8deg.

Increase in SWA is 40%. There is some rounding error above, but you get the point.

Not that this has any bearing whatsoever on stage notes, or how you would construct them, but this is how a real car, and math, actually works smiling smiley

Slip angle, btw, is present from the moment the car starts moving and is a function of how a tire works. Any lateral acceleration at all creates a slip angle. Period. In general you can assume around 3-5 deg/g in the linear range of the tire with things going non linear after 0.3-0.4g. The squeal is a function of a large amount of the contact patch operating in sliding friction which increases with increased slip angle. Peak slip angles for radials on pavement are somewhere around 6-9 degrees, from the data I've seen, with crossplys being a bit higher. FWIW slip ratio, which is the longitudinal slip of the tire, is required for any tractive force to be generated.

How the steering wheel angle changes wrt speed and lateral acceleration is a function of the difference between the front and rear slip angle gradients. If they are the same, as in a neutral steering car, there is no change in steering wheel angle. If the fronts generate more slip for a given lateral acceleration, the car understeers and more steering angle is required. If the rears generate more slip the car oversteers (even well below limit) and less steering angle is required. All production cars understeer as do the majority of pavement based racecars, although to a lesser degree.

Steve
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 08, 2012 07:25PM
Ok, fair enough. I neglected the inherent understeer in most streetcars, or at least sadly underestimated it. I'd ballparked it at roughly atan(g) and that turns out to be way too low.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 08, 2012 07:29PM
where did the assumption of a wheelbase of 115" come from?
A shit-ton of math on a massively erroneous assumption is pretty much, well poo poo.

Golves are 97.4", Impretzled are what? 98.5", Legassy 102".

And 15. what for steering ratio... I understand numbers like 64mm rack travel per turn, I understand 2,2 turns, but have to be honest never understoof the "17.5" or 15.4" numbers

Obviously I don't understand...

Again, same language, different meanings or implications behind words.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
SteveT
Steve Thompson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 Impreza being prepped, going backwards

August 08, 2012 09:12PM
john vanlandingham
A shit-ton of math on a massively erroneous assumption is pretty much, well poo poo.

Golves are 97.4", Impretzled are what? 98.5", Legassy 102".

And 15. what for steering ratio... I understand numbers like 64mm rack travel per turn, I understand 2,2 turns, but have to be honest never understoof the "17.5" or 15.4" numbers

Obviously I don't understand...

Again, same language, different meanings or implications behind words.

Hi John,

The wheelbase 'error' doesn't make much difference to the math which is shown only for general illustration. I can redo it if you care that much.

As far as the overall steering ratio is concerned it's very simple. 15:1 very simply means that 15 degrees of steering wheel input results in 1 deg of average front wheel steering angle. 30 degrees would be 2 degrees of steer angle etc. 17.5:1 means that 17.5 degrees of steering wheel angle equals 1 deg of front wheel steer angle. Measurements like 2.2 lock to lock don't really mean much as the front wheel steer angle limits aren't the same on every car. They actually vary more than wheelbase...

Note that the above neglects ackermann effects which are pretty much negligible on center anyway. If you like you could convert rack travel to front wheel steer angle by taking into account the length of the steer arm. All the same bucket.

Steve
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 09, 2012 10:19AM
john vanlandingham
For the purpose of the comparison, wheelbase and steering ratio are constants so their actual value don't matter, just like the radius of the corner. The only number that changes is the understeer component because of the speed of the corner.

What troubles me, slightly, is that an example designed to show that more steering input is needed at higher speeds starts off with the assumptions that under steer is directly related to the g-force of the corner and that the under steer tendencies of a chassis are linear - which guarantees the result. In short, it is like saying 'OK, to prove I'm right lets assume I'm right.'

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login