Posted by reecers 
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

Re: New guy, New rally?
March 14, 2013 08:51PM
yea definetly not summer, and that lake has been at that level since 2007 so I don't see any of the roads as impassible or the need for a dive team, but i could be wrong

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 14, 2013 09:24PM
reecers
yea definetly not summer, and that lake has been at that level since 2007 so I don't see any of the roads as impassible or the need for a dive team, but i could be wrong

What everybody is trying to get across regarding roads being passable: you need to go out on a rainy day and see if those roads turn to axle grease meets chicken shit meets Astroglide. There are roads that do that -- they're fine for the 358 days a year it's not raining, but you can bet that if you hold a rally on one of those roads, it'll be one of those 7.25 where the road is useless unless you have...a BULLDOZER!!!!

That is all.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 15, 2013 01:08AM
In clear engrish, what is the road bed made of.. If its just a nice smooth former dozer track and nothing underneath like a ROAD BED then that red dirt may not only be slicker than snot, but like this:

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

March 15, 2013 07:46AM
well is that a no go if it is slicker than snot? I have been out there one time when it got wet and with street tires i drove around and couldn't stop worth shit. The car would just slide when trying to stop.

I am not an alien

bknblk2
Tony Wood
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

March 15, 2013 08:32AM
100% Maybe... That's helpful isn't it. I come from a off road background. I was out in Steamboat, CO. working the rally and they canceled a stage. I thought they were full of it and took my '04 Rubicon(lockers, 4:1 Low), lifted, new 33" Goodyear MT-Rs out to the stage. got about 1/2 mile in before turning around. It took me 2.5 hour to get back to the pavement. I'd never seen anything like it, If you could get your footing on a rock or something, you could spin my big jeep in a circle like it was on a record player. yup, Impassible smiling smiley

But!! if you or the weather service has a good idea that during the "dry' season the chance of it raining on the given Sat is very small...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 15, 2013 10:25AM
reecers
well is that a no go if it is slicker than snot? I have been out there one time when it got wet and with street tires i drove around and couldn't stop worth shit. The car would just slide when trying to stop.

Doooood, what is the road BED made of. You understand about roadBEDS?

If that's just a cattpillar track, as fun as it is---and it does look fun---with the passage of XX cars ---or XX car two or four times--what's to stop the cars from chewing thru the surface all the way down to China?

By the way, I spent majopr portions of my life going all round the world doing extensive and detail studys of the way soil is built up, what holds it together and what makes it slick and what makes it HARD. Spent years doing it... I know soil...

It was kinda funny when I got into rally I was not thinking so much abnout the difference between driving on a dirt road out do do my soil studies or a GRAVEL road road---or just a dirt surface.. Well it makes a hellava difference what's below the surface---and that depends on who made the road for what purpose..

Out HERE we occasionally get just a little touch of rain over in the Olympic Peninsula...say 12-13 FEET a year so there they really gotta make the bed as good as a city road and have to crown it good and give it good--well made ditches...or it will soften and wash out...

That's what we're trying to ask about, what is under the surface...

Oh here's a piccie of what I spent so many years studying

It ain't me in the piccie but that's what I did 2-4 times a week for 20 years.

Kinda makes me think about dirt when I see it.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 10:37AM by john vanlandingham.
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

March 15, 2013 10:42AM
john, it is pretty sandy in some of the tight turns. I don't know what the road bed is. Oklahoma red dirt. There is hardly a lick of gravel anywhere. I called around and I have to talk to the special event organizer for oklahoma city. He won't be back til Monday. I will have to do some more research into the road to get a better answer.

I am not an alien

reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

March 30, 2013 10:21PM
so i tried getting a hold of a few people, but i am trying to figure out what a proposal looks like. Can anyone send me an example?

I am not an alien

Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Elite Moderator

April 06, 2013 02:44AM
reecers
so i tried getting a hold of a few people, but i am trying to figure out what a proposal looks like. Can anyone send me an example?

Who did you try to get a hold of?

The local chamber of commerce is probably a good place to start. It's part of their job to attract outside money into their area.

As to a proposal

Under Promise and over deliver

Answer these question

Who?

What?

When?

How?

How it will benefit whomever? Along with this, be prepared for why? Why do you want to do this?

There's probably other questions, but it's 3 am and I'm going to bed.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 22, 2013 10:20AM
so bringing this back from the dead, just so you guys don't think i just gave up on this.

I contacted the owners of the road as well as the events coordinator for oklahoma city. The lake that the roads are located around is a freshwater drinking lake for a large area of south oklahoma city. They have been having water quality issues even with the lake closed to boats. So with that being said they started looking at erosion control and found the dirt roads around the lake to be causing problems. So they closed one road and found good results in water quality. They plan on closing a few more of the roads as well as asphalting the rest of the ones they leave open. So with that being said I told them I wouldn't be pursuing this for an event site any longer.

Top tip, if a lake is used for drinking, they probably won't let you tear up their roads.

I am not an alien

bknblk2
Tony Wood
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

October 22, 2013 03:57PM
Sounds like you got experience with talking to local officials out of the deal. don't give up on all water, as much of it is for drinking or protected. The 100 Acre Wood folk have had to compromise with the powers that be and now have a rule that any car in the water is a red cross situation, partly to expedite extracting said car from said water.
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Elite Moderator

October 23, 2013 10:45PM
Just ask a certain safety sweep driver about leaving skid plates in creek beds.... twice..... one each of the last two years........once at each of our two water crossings.

This year finds him in a Ford Raptor, where I told him not to harass the tail end of the field. grinning smiley

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 24, 2013 12:02AM
Looking on the bright side, at least they had a really good reason for it.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login