Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Oz rocks
May 10, 2013 03:33PM
Anders Green
Morison
I'm not sure why people think the sadev box for the R2 is expensive. My understanding is the box itself is ~$8-9K

Because $8-9k can buy you a whole rally car?

Anders

It's all relative isn't it.
Someone looking at a $9K rally car won't be looking at sequential transmissions. If someone is looking at sequential transmissions, $9k isn't outrageous.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 10, 2013 03:35PM
12xalt
mellow65
Anders Green
Morison
I'm not sure why people think the sadev box for the R2 is expensive. My understanding is the box itself is ~$8-9K

Because $8-9k can buy you a whole rally car?

Anders

or like 3 or 4 if you're like me

is that all? have you cut back? winking smiley

well i dooooo only have like 2.5 right now. but i was just saying I don't think i shelled out $9k for all of the rally cars i have bought through the years. Ok if you take out dougs old rx7, i bought the Legacy, truck, Rx7 #2, civic, taxi for a combined total of around $8k. All with log books, sure they all needed some love. But I'm in love with the build, so thats part of the fun. smiling smiley

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 10, 2013 05:15PM
Morison
I'm not sure why people think the sadev box for the R2 is expensive. My understanding is the box itself is ~$8-9K which is actually not that much for a sequential box designed for the car. That's about the same money as people are spending on dog gearsets for other cars!

OK, it doesn't compare to a $200, or free, T5 but it is also a brand new gearbox that needs nothing to be used in the car it was designed for.

I'd also argue the price is lower because of the M-Sport involvement since they have created a demand for a box that would be otherwise a specialty piece. (I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone can show me a similar sequental ff gearbox for less)

Keith, you are arguing the wrong argument..that nobody is arguing against.
9k is nice price for a sequential box.....nobody can say otherwise..

But to coin a metaphor, 99.9% of us are playing a pick up game of softball around in the dirt lot at the end of the street...

Unless somebody has a small, highly tuned, narrow powerband motor with the Fiesta 1.6 motor's bellhousing, the box isn't going to do anybody any good..

A motor like that is how much? Everything about the car is MULTIPLES 300-400% more expensive.

Close ratio--and close ratios shift nice---gearkit for a T5, if a guy was building a nice say 2300-2400 n.a. motor, and wanted closer than the nice "2.95 first" gears, and just has to have closer like: Close ratio kit gearing:
1st: 2.527:1
2nd: 1.675:1
3rd: 1.259:1
4th: 1:1
5th: 0.87:1

Costs: Close ratio gearkit
T5 Borg-Warner, Type 184 (Cosworth) GBMT51C £1090.00/1681.26 US Dollar

With the combo of a bigger motor and a $1600 geaset a guy can have a car that will go real good for fractions of the Fiesta cost...
More people can afford that than can afford a $20k engine and box---that only works in a brand newish car..

IF there was a 1.6 class, that would be another story..
We don't have enough cars in all of North America to have a 1.6 class.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 05:26PM by john vanlandingham.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

May 10, 2013 05:33PM
john vanlandingham
With the combo of a bigger motor and a $1600 geaset a guy can have a car that will go real good for fractions of the Fiesta cost...
More people can afford that than can afford a $20k engine and box---that only works in a brand newish car..

IF there was a 1.6 class, you could still get a close ratio gearset for $1100, appropriate FD for $550 (or less if one of the OE ratios works OK), and build a honda that should go real good for fractions of the Fiesta cost.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 10, 2013 05:49PM
Aaron Luptak
john vanlandingham

IF there was a 1.6 class, you could still get a close ratio gearset for $1100, appropriate FD for $550 (or less if one of the OE ratios works OK), and build a honda that should go real good for fractions of the Fiesta cost.

Yep.

And maybe even find one with struts up front..nice.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

May 10, 2013 06:55PM
john vanlandingham
9k is nice price for a sequential box.....nobody can say otherwise.
Who's arguing?

john vanlandingham
A motor like that is how much? Everything about the car is MULTIPLES 300-400% more expensive.
More expensive than what?
The life cycle of the parts on the fiesta R2 is expected to be over a full season of running hard. The bits have a lot of rally specific engineering behind them and are designed to work together as a package. You don't get that with junk-yard parts.

john vanlandingham
It may be quibbling, but the entire R2 Kit is mid $30k, considering that includes reigers and AP brakes (I think) I doubt the engine and box add up to $20.

john vanlandingham
I see your point... then again there were more fiestas at Tall Pines than there were Gr5 cars.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 10, 2013 10:14PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
9k is nice price for a sequential box.....nobody can say otherwise.

Who's arguing?

You are examinging/discussing/positing/asserting/wondering about

john vanlandingham

More expensive than what?

The ECU alone for an R2 Fiesta is GBP1500, each rod is GBP175, pistons GBP1200/set.....over GBP350 for the pressure plate.

All the parts are orders af magnitude more.

Remember Kieth, this is my daily bread.....

it is a very very expensive little motor making excellent power for its size but modest torque.....An ancient 60s design stock Ford SOHC Lima with stock T3 turbo makes 30--50% more torque. Cost ZERO. Comes in the car...

The life cycle of the parts on the fiesta R2 is expected to be over a full season of running hard.

Shirely you understand that the more the output of a motor--for given size---the absolute spotter-onner EVERYTHING must be, and the narrow the margin of safety, and the more disastrous the consequences are when something goes wrong..

The bits have a lot of rally specific engineering behind them and are designed to work together as a package.

The packages I put together have a lot of rally specific engineering In them, and are INTENDED to work together as affordable packages, the maxim is Everything working pretty damn good as a package"

You don't get that with junk-yard parts.

WHERE a part originates plays no role at all about a parts suitability, that should be obvious. The size/strength, particulars ie gear ratio for a rear diff unit, flexibility, and for 99%, price are the factors we judge a part, not the box that it came in...
A Toyota Supra MkIII rear diff unit---safe to around 800 bhp---therefore obviously a part ideal for a clubbie from the huge margin of safety is a fine choice---if the bearings---big fawkin bearings too---are in good shape....for more reliability over original one can do exactly what Ford Motorsport did in their instructions for setting up their beautiful rally derived 9" IRS unit: remove the crush sleeve, make a spacer that size....for the Toyota unit the kit costs 16.00 bucks...
The Toyota diffs range from $32 to 200 bucks...A Ford 9" IRS about GBP4000...
Functionality the same...

john vanlandingham

It may be quibbling, but the entire R2 Kit is mid $30k, considering that includes reigers and AP brakes (I think) I doubt the engine and box add up to $20.

An R2 is closer to USD 65,000 +
Check M-Sport used cars 45000 Euros= $58,500 for a used car

New stuff plus labor is probably going top cost more.New parts usually cost more.

john vanlandingham

I see your point... then again there were more fiestas at Tall Pines than there were Gr5 cars.

A couple of low spec cars and a few rich guys means some people follow fads or have a lot of money to just play.....

A wise person does not bank their future on the whims of the idle rich, and neither should a series.
I just read the adventures of Wyatt Knox travelling quite literally to The End of the Earth--a place i have some affection for---the local railway station is called "Estacion de le Fin del Mundo" to do a couple of SS at a rally on Tierra del Fuego outside of Ushuaia.....

http://flatovercrest.com/2013/05/rallying-at-the-ends-of-the-earth/

cooler than shit, and he's doing with his own cash wheat I spent 10 years working like a slave to get good enough to do---and get paid to go (that was the whole reason: If I got good enough to command "pretty good" start-money, I could get paid to go all around where-ever I could racing---and see the world when I wasn't pounding my head into the dirt----)
It took 10 years, a marriage, countless bones, ligaments, cartilage, teeth, blood, but the plan worked...

Cool, but just like what I did, meaningless except for the fun----but I did learn how to build things well and pay the mortgage with that...

Point is, the new car, and 35-45G poured into a car is not a viable model to entice large numbers of new people for the long term...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
John Reed
John Reed
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

May 10, 2013 11:51PM
Exciting news, and been talking to the Nameless guys about maybe getting to do some electronics on it. Will is fast, car will make some real power, so should be a lot of fun and I hope to get to do my part.

I think the FR-S or BRZ or whatever flavor you prefer is going to be my next rally build (instead of the other Corolla shell I have). We have already cut up two of them for drift cars at the shop. Neat cars stock, handle awesome, fun to drive, not enough power (maybe fine for rally car) and look cool. Not sure if the suspension will be tough to sort out or if Subaru bits will fit. Glad to see the Nameless guys paving the way, and their build will be over the top from a simple G2 car that I would want.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

May 11, 2013 10:42AM
john vanlandingham
The ECU alone for an R2 Fiesta is GBP1500, each rod is GBP175, pistons GBP1200/set.....over GBP350 for the pressure plate.
All the parts are orders af magnitude more.
Remember Kieth, this is my daily bread...
Understood.
But I maintain the comparison needs to have some comparisons to be valid.
The R2 package really needs to be looked at in comparison to other similar products not to a 'home brew' package.
john vanlandingham
it is a very very expensive little motor making excellent power for its size but modest torque.....An ancient 60s design stock Ford SOHC Lima with stock T3 turbo makes 30--50% more torque. Cost ZERO. Comes in the car...
But... will the 'free' engine want/need a teardown and overhaul to be reliable?
Is there little to no value in having a truely new engine instead of one with a hundred thousand miles or more?

john vanlandingham
Shirely you understand that the more the output of a motor--for given size---the absolute spotter-onner EVERYTHING must be, and the narrow the margin of safety, and the more disastrous the consequences are when something goes wrong.
I absolutely understand that.
I also understand that MSport's life cycles come from years of experience and building things that need to survive the rally environment. (other than alternators, apparently)

john vanlandingham
The packages I put together have a lot of rally specific engineering In them, and are INTENDED to work together as affordable packages, the maxim is Everything working pretty damn good as a package"
I wasn't suggesting otherwise, there is room for more than one type of 'package' for different levels of clientelle.

john vanlandingham
WHERE a part originates plays no role at all about a parts suitability, that should be obvious.
I've always had bad luck with junkyard parts.
No matter what you get there you need to fully tear-down and probably combine parts from a couple of samples to get one good working one. Mindless, simple work for some but not for everybody. (Although I agree you will know your car MUCH better by doing this.)
My experience has also been that if it is a wear item in the car, a junk-yard part will be equally worn.

john vanlandingham
A Toyota Supra MkIII rear diff unit---range from $32 to 200 bucks...A Ford 9" IRS about GBP4000... Functionality the same...
Fair enough. Great example of what can be found, and a deal, in a wreckers if you know what you're looking for.

john vanlandingham
An R2 is closer to USD 65,000 +
Check M-Sport used cars 45000 Euros= $58,500 for a used car
I was talking about the kit, not a turn-key car.
I seem to recall O'neill saying the car, ready to drive, would be ~60K ish.

john vanlandingham
New parts usually cost more.
Yup. As they should.
I don't generally have an aversion to new parts unless there is absolutely no reason to be concerned about age.
When I owned a VW rabbit, I could have the rotors cut when doing a break job for $15ish or buy new rotors for $20. I bought new rotors.

john vanlandingham
A couple of low spec cars and a few rich guys means some people follow fads or have a lot of money to just play...
All we are doing is playing. More people were playing with fiestas than with Gr5 cars, and you said there weren't enough fiestas to make it a viable class. That's all I was getting at.

john vanlandingham
A wise person does not bank their future on the whims of the idle rich, and neither should a series.
Nobody is. (well, TO'N probably is - but rally isn't his primary source of income anyway)

john vanlandingham
Point is, the new car, and 35-45G poured into a car is not a viable model to entice large numbers of new people for the long term...
I don't disagree with you there but experience has shown that many of the people coming into the sport don't understand that and DO build newer cars and sink a lot of money into them. I also think there is a fallacy that buying a $200 car and using junk-yard parts is 'cheap.' Particularly if you are outsourcing labour you'll start adding up the costs quickly. (See Grant's Xratty build)

Also, I was chatting with another Canadian at OTR commenting on the number of stacker trailers and motorhome tow rigs at the event. It seems enclosed trailers are almost a requirement now and the days of the big teams being the ones with a cube van and open trailer are long gone. (enclosed trailers do have some real advantages)

Only a decade ago you'd see a third of the field driven to an event and most of the rest of the field with either a pick-up or panel van and a trailer. If the event was local, you probably drove to the event. That just isn't the case anymore.

This is a sport that costs money. Doing more with less is a noble goal, but is it realistic? We've regularly seen 'old car' builds battle with reliability when coming out to the stages and as we all know, seat time is the goal - and not seat time sitting still waiting for sweep to pull you back to service.

At the end of the day, there are people out there who want to buy the new stuff and spend the money to rally with that level of car. I'm reminded of doctors/dentists/lawyers who always have to own the latest professional camera gear. I love those guys because that means I can buy a 1 generation old camera for a fraction of the new price.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 11, 2013 11:01AM
From the standpoint of the people who can afford new or better or shiney the R2 package is a bargain. We've now seen what the car is capable of in good hands, a valid goal to aim for. There are a bunch of Subes that cost as much or more than that R2 that finished well back of it.

There is a whole world out there that has money and the desire to spend it, new boats, UTVs, motorhomes...heck the ORV park up the road looks like an RV show on open track weekends. 40ft diesel pushers towing 40ft toy haulers and a family with 3 little kids riding 50 or 100 cc quads .

I'm betting Will and the GT86 will be incredible, unless the new build bug gets them, and if so that chassis will take off. Even though on paper as well as the track it is an inferior car to the new 6 cyl Mustang it is popular, generates a mass amount of buzz and will be a viable new car contender...if not the owner of the throne.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

May 12, 2013 09:50PM
Morison
Only a decade ago you'd see a third of the field driven to an event and most of the rest of the field with either a pick-up or panel van and a trailer. If the event was local, you probably drove to the event. That just isn't the case anymore.

I agree.

I believe the cause of this is the promotion over the last decade of the top 3-5 teams which have given the impression that the whole sport is like that.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login