john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: New Guy
August 28, 2013 04:20PM
This is what all the expert builders are referring to as "Cool-aid":

It would be enlightening to find some vids of Subaru 1.8 FWD and US spec Nissans, Civics and Golves doing something similar..
Because this can be progressively built---and with your background in mud and drag cars, the pathway should be more familiar..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 28, 2013 04:33PM
wvonkessler
Given where he lives, he might want to get in touch with Mark Bowers or Marcel C or the Wimpeys or whoever.

Yup, or Rob Mcfadyen, or Jared Lantzy, or Jason Smith, etc....

Some of them may be at the next DC area rally-cross out at Summit point in a couple of weekends.

Personally, would consider selling both the Golfs and building a new Fiesta ST with the little 1.6L turbo.
200hp 200tq (both exceed the R2 specs by large margins)
Same size & weight & dynamics of an MK2 Golf
No need for any of the expensive R2 gearbox or engine build bits
Looked through the R2 kit bits and it looks like you could easily drop $20,000 - $24,000 off the build price by using the ST with the stock 6-spd gearbox and a limited slip diff. Closer to the $24k mark if the ST already has nicer brakes than the stock fiesta and they fit under 15" wheels.....

Including $22,000 purchase price, you could walk away with a very competitive car with really nice cage, safety equipment, boingers, underbody protection, etc for probably $45,000 and you can just buy the parts you need and bolt them on no fab skill required. <----That is a lot less expensive than an R2 and you shouldn't have to service the gearbox every 300 stage miles either.

Now, I only need to talk with Ford about this plan :-)

Oh, and figure out a way to actually be in the US when rallys I want to run are actually happening.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 28, 2013 06:10PM
john vanlandingham
It would be enlightening to find some vids of Subaru 1.8 FWD and US spec Nissans, Civics and Golves doing something similar..

It would be enlightening to find some vids of ANY US spec car being driven similarly. But since we don't have a regional rallysprint series, it doesn't really exist.

Here's some ACTUAL US footage...

Grant Hughes
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

August 28, 2013 06:27PM
Guys looking for crew on SS:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?55625-Looking-for-crew-for-Black-River-Stages

If you want to crew for them, let me know. I offered to help them if they couldn't find anyone else. I wasn't planning on going but since they are a new team, I said I'd help them out of they were in a pinch. If you want to help them out but don't want to do it alone, I'll still go, too. I've crewed a handful of times and crewed at BRS last year so I know some of the ropes.

Tim.
smwwoody
David Woodring
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
none yet

August 28, 2013 07:26PM
ok thanks for all the replys.

First dumb question what is the GC in GC impreza.

I am not stuck on FWD. I would like to end up in an AWD. I was just thinking the FWD would be a better sstepping stone to get to the AWD. I like the idea of the impreza being able to start out NA fwd and work my way to a turbo AWD all with the same car.

A RWD option I do have is a running driving xr4ti 10 miles from me for $1000. not sure about parts for those

My first thoughts were RWD
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 28, 2013 08:48PM
john vanlandingham
This is what all the expert builders are referring to as "Cool-aid":

Because this can be progressively built---and with your background in mud and drag cars, the pathway should be more familiar..

Well, if you watch the longer videos from that event, you can see the 2wd cars of choice are:
Volvo

Golf (distant second) with at least 6-7 in just the first half of the video
BMW (Distant third) with only 2 or so in the first half...

BUT, they all seem to be going pretty good to me. The only difference is the Golves are less sideways and throw only very small rooster tails...

One. Class -- 2WD

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 12:03PM by Josh Wimpey.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

August 28, 2013 08:54PM
GC is the 93-01 Impreza.

If you like RWD, you could do worse than an XR4Ti or Volvo 240.

If you want to go that route, you need to a) be open to more than simple bolt on mods; b) not be afraid of getting out the plasma cutter/torches; c) drink at least one shot of the JVL KoolAid. It tastes pretty good...

Honestly, the Volvo would be easer because a) solid rear axle, and b) easier to get windshields.

But damn, I love me XR4Tis...

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 28, 2013 09:32PM
Oh boy, you trying to stir things up?

you are probly on the right track, fwd seems like it will get you towards awd in terms of driving style.

I'm a rwd guy, I did an event in a fwd car this summer and found it tricky, just like Hoche (a fwd douche cannoe) posted recently about his first time rallying a rwd car. They certainly require different techniques, perhaps even differnt mentalities. Its really a matter of taste.

You will get healthy guidance in all dirrections here.
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

August 28, 2013 09:47PM
If you don't want to spend a mountain of money to get started, buying built is your starting point. Rallying is expensive. The past 8 months has given me time to consider that point greatly. You will need every last dime if you care at all about beating the piss out of the car going as fast as possible. Even if you don't, it will still cost a significant chunk of coin to play.

Also, when people refer to Golf's, I still haven't found the appeal of them in the slightest, and around here, they really aren't "that" common.

And as has been hinted at in this thread, any car which is durable and has the snot driven out of it will be a good car. Which is why I'd suggest getting whichever one has a large knowledge base and lots of local support. If that is a golf, then do it. If it's a civic, then do it. If it's a focus, then do it. If its a volvo, then do it.

I personally am enamored with honda's. If the roads aren't too rough, I can't really see how you can go wrong.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 28, 2013 11:23PM
fiasco
GC is the 93-01 Impreza.

If you like RWD, you could do worse than an XR4Ti or Volvo 240.

If you want to go that route, you need to a) be open to more than simple bolt on mods; b) not be afraid of getting out the plasma cutter/torches; c) drink at least one shot of the JVL KoolAid. It tastes pretty good...

Honestly, the Volvo would be easer because a) solid rear axle, and b) easier to get windshields.

But damn, I love me XR4Tis...

Actually its about 35-40 minutes with a lift and air tools to pop in a Supra diff into the Xratty, even better now that these are done (today)

Supra 8" ring gears, same as Toyota pick-up pr 4-Runner.
Alternate ratios new cost from $137-220....compare that with ANY other final drive for any other car..
Only Dana 30 matches those prices, and Volvo has Dana 30...which a 7.2" ring gear....
So it's significantly easier to install a LSD and a gear of your choice in an Xratty than almost any other car (except old 510s but finding a R180 with suffciently short (4.88-5.1) ratio is hell on earth.)

And you get a diff which should be (if somebody doesn't totally fuck up the install) virtually unbreakable for us.

And windshields, I'm working on it..I'm a busy guy.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 29, 2013 11:43AM
I built an XR4ti because it was the easiest and most affordable car to build that would never be the limiting factor in me not winning a rally.

Grant Hughes
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

August 29, 2013 12:04PM
Added the video I referenced above

One. Class -- 2WD

wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 29, 2013 12:25PM
I call bullshit on JVL's video. Cars are obviously Volvo Original Cup cars, which means that the sampling in the Swedish event is biased toward them.

Take a look at the Group F stats here: http://www.f-cup.fi/tulokset-ja-tilastot/

Very few FWD, but they are VW/Seat or Honda. Very few Volvos - all 240s. Lots of BMWs smiling smiley. No Sierras.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Morison
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

August 29, 2013 12:45PM
wvonkessler
Take a look at the Group F stats here: http://www.f-cup.fi/tulokset-ja-tilastot/

Interesting. At a quick glance - and I'll happily stand corrected - it looks like forced induction engines are still not allowed in F-Cup. I also noticed there is now an AWD F-Cup class (which includes an automatic time allowance for cars older than a certain age)

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 29, 2013 02:20PM
Also appears that a Golf WON an event this year.
Lead for season is Volvo, Volvo, Corolla, MB, Corolla, Starlet, BMW, Starlet, Golf, BMW.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login