Advanced

The Alabama Cannonball Rally / Bama RallyFest / Rally Alabama Nov 8-10

Posted by Yellowhammer 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

Re: The Alabama Cannonball Rally / Bama RallyFest / Rally Alabama Nov 8-10
November 06, 2013 07:15PM
After talking with Robert G, I think TSD or this is a great way to get people started. The one huge downside is how TSDs are constantly played down as some form of sedative autosport. the auto club culture is a changing, and I have no idea where it's going.

John B, good on ya for getting another event started. I wish the best of luck to you.
The only thing that initially put me off about this event was the name. "Cannonball Rally" seems to a have a negative connotation with me. Something about really rich idiots doing really stupid things in very public places.

I definitely plan on hitting a few TSDs in the next year or so.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
I really have one and use it.

November 12, 2013 06:34AM
Initial Report:

Well, thank you all for the interest. It's something to build on...

The last-minute cancellations due to sickness, kid's sickness, babysitter for the weekend got knocked up, car problems, apathy, whatever.... are an organizer's worst gut-punch. I guess you are not an organizer-type, oficially, until you mutter this to yourself... :

"What in the FUCK am I doing all this for.....?? grrr. "

lol.

Anyway, my solid entry list of 40 ?? became like 18. oi vey.

no worries- everyone that DID, had a large 'ol time...

The roads, weather, food, everything was all grins... and we raised money for charity... charities that should/would/did see the potential and , cough, helpppp me with the next one.
Charities were:
1. Red Cross (local HAMS! meet there, so that got me some HAM radio guys)
2. American Cancer Society, local chapter
3. Local Humane Society, local chapter

Our little SCCA Region, Tennessee Valley Region (should be called North Bama region) did a great job. Pulled in some HAM operators, but text is a rally org dream. minimal workers were cause for some scramble, but all checkpoints were manned properly. We had a little problem with timing and scoring communication, and a little squabbling about the routebook instructions, but nothing major...

Had maybe 70% noobs.... drivers and co-drivers that ain't nevaa done nothin- no autocross, no racers, no previous SCCA (or anything) experience.... Total noobs. It was an experiment by me... take people with no prior opinions about road rally vs. stage rally and see what happens.....

I gave them a little bit of flavor of a much bigger and fancier rally, like stage notes, Parke Expose', off-site tech, ODO leg, credentials, impound, HQ/permanent service with scales/power/wifi/camping/shower/food vendor/football on big-screens/ remote service/(lunch) after leg 1...... etc. Couldn't do Parke Ferme with a bunch of daily-drivers... maybe next time.

some personal highlights:

* had a 1970 Opel GT run that recently was put back together.

* My MOTHER and her best friend, 2 old school teachers from TN/AL, ran the morning leg, had a fun, and placed well. Absolutely no "car" racing/comp experience - at. all. so I struck down the "too old to play/too competitve/too complicated..." excuse. 2 70-odd year old retired school teachers did it. That will help recruitment for the next one. :-)

* had a freshly -turned 16yo girl drive the rally, with her father, a good friend of mine, co-driving.
She did very well, got quality seat-time, and said " .. wanted to ditch Dad, lol, and have her bestest friend navigate next time.... well, I was beaming after that comment. grins. So much for the "too young, not a good enough driver/ we're all gonna crash and catch on fire..." excuse.
A bunch of 16-17 year old girls rallying?? Hmmm.
My wife would catch me looking at some 18 year-old cheerleader's legs.... um, shit. ROFL.

- For all those who don't understand the direct jump that the mechanics, operationally, for a well-organized TSD and a stage-rally are very similiar and that once the EVENT is running smooth, that the move from old ladies going 40mph, and you pirates going 80mph with all your shit on... well, that's unfortunate you don't get that, yet. Please Stand by and lord willing I'll show you soon.

Cheers Mates,

John Barnett
Huntsville, AL
256-682-1097 Text/cell 24/7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 06:42AM by Yellowhammer.
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 12, 2013 06:39AM
a little facebook action, a little too late.....

+ (edit) results/pics....

please keep up with us if interested, or close enough to help or run next time.... stand by for another rally in Bama, soon. thx. John.

http://teamtac.org/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?11
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 12, 2013 06:51AM
please note... if you want to post on teamtac.org, you do NOT have to join anything, be a local or pay anything... just no drama or politics n such. Thanks. John aka Tha Yellowhamaaa.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 12, 2013 01:15PM
a brisk tsd can be as much fun as full blown stage rally!

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

November 12, 2013 04:25PM
tdrrally
a brisk tsd can be as much fun as full blown stage rally!

ding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login