imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

Re: I need to vent
October 05, 2013 09:10PM
starion887
One thing that never seems to end up in these discussions is the impact of regional clubs on rally organization. SCCA had the one big advantage that each event belonged to a region. Those regions always had a core of region people who typically worked together all year on more than one event. That did not provide all the workers by any means, but it did provide a good core event team and that made up time to do more on organizing volunteers. Seems like this is one advantage that the Ontario series rallies havae (or have had).

Not thinking this will happen for NASA anytime soon. And R-A does not havae this, tho' many events have a core group that is SCCA region centric.

And I always have to wonder what has happened; most of you guys have not been around long enough but Don surely has. Geez, POR ran to 2 AM on day 1 and then re-started at noon; SPTR and HIS ran all nigth long 'til sunrise; Sunriser 400 ran all night 'til 7 or 8 AM, and even the Tulip 200 ran to 1-2 AM. A lot of the old MI rallies ran way into to the wee hours. Never heard too many complaints. So what has happened that the volunteers don't want to be out as much or the organizers are over-working folks?

And no offiense at all, Don , but IMO a stage captain is gonna work extra hard every time. It just goes with the territory.
Not sure exactly what you're referencing with the examples like "POR ran to 2 AM on day 1 . . . . . . . " and "STPR ran all night long" related to my original post. BTDT got the T shirts (literally) from working STPR till 4 AM one year. Many of the rallies, from what I know back then (I know STPR was) were 1 DAY rallies. Not work till Midnight, then have to be back to work again in 8 hours or less. Hey, I drove home Sunday night after BRS, left Harrisville at 9 PM, got home at 3:30 AM and was at work at 7 AM. So 2 nights in a row with no sleep is not too good when you're getting up there in age. Particularly when Saturday could have started earlier to make it a little easier on all the workers.

Don Kennedy
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

October 05, 2013 09:42PM
cbombara
1) I paid to bring an experienced worker - lodging/food/etc - that person was stuck at borderline BS marshalling post. Can't be sure why, maybe girls aren't good at math? (extreme sarcasm since some are dense on here)

That, at least is simple to explain: People are assigned, in the weeks/months before the rally, to the most difficult tasks according to their ability and schedule. The easiest tasks are assigned last, because we're trying to make sure that positions that need some experience have that. Bottom line, the later you sign up, the more likely you are likely to be assigned to marshal, regardless of how much experience you have.

If a person signs up a month early, says "I've done a zillion controls" and under "what do you want to do" they check "Starts/finishes" and nothing else there's a 100% chance they'll do starts or finishes.

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Creech
Scott Creech
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

October 06, 2013 06:35PM
Anders Green
If a person signs up a month early, says "I've done a zillion controls" and under "what do you want to do" they check "Starts/finishes" and nothing else there's a 100% chance they'll do starts or finishes.

...unless they've got that goddam First Responder license on file...

(I keed! I keed! Medical is really NOT all that big of a deal, and I TOTALLY understand the necessity and shortage of Med-typee folk, at least those WILLING to do it)

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

October 06, 2013 09:21PM
starion887
One thing that never seems to end up in these discussions is the impact of regional clubs on rally organization. SCCA had the one big advantage that each event belonged to a region. Those regions always had a core of region people who typically worked together all year on more than one event. That did not provide all the workers by any means, but it did provide a good core event team and that made up time to do more on organizing volunteers. Seems like this is one advantage that the Ontario series rallies havae (or have had).

Not thinking this will happen for NASA anytime soon. And R-A does not havae this, tho' many events have a core group that is SCCA region centric.

And I always have to wonder what has happened; most of you guys have not been around long enough but Don surely has. Geez, POR ran to 2 AM on day 1 and then re-started at noon; SPTR and HIS ran all nigth long 'til sunrise; Sunriser 400 ran all night 'til 7 or 8 AM, and even the Tulip 200 ran to 1-2 AM. A lot of the old MI rallies ran way into to the wee hours. Never heard too many complaints. So what has happened that the volunteers don't want to be out as much or the organizers are over-working folks?

And no offiense at all, Don , but IMO a stage captain is gonna work extra hard every time. It just goes with the territory.

Yes and no. While NASARS and RA aren't formally aligned with the likes of the SCCA, I know 100 AW for instance, has a very strong and close relationship with their local (STL) SCCA region. I think they would say its importaint. They have grown relationships with Hams anf Jeep clubs that allow them to almost sub contract out the worker hunt in those specialties.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login