Advanced

Entry level suit and helmet/comm setup?

Posted by deaner 
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

Re: Entry level suit and helmet/comm setup?
December 18, 2013 09:50AM
I am planning on buying one of those to retrofit my old Peltor equipment into. So I'll be able to say what it's like in a few weeks. smiling smiley
Please Login or Register to post a reply
rocky mountain autosports
Bryan Short
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 JDM WRX STI

December 18, 2013 11:12AM
A helmet is the last place I would look to save money. RMA only carries helmets that have stood the test of time and that are used by professionals. A cheap helmet may be good enough in a crash, but do you want to risk it?
yeroc40
Corey Voigt
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
CRF450R

December 18, 2013 01:39PM
Motorcyclist magazine did comparing various helmets of cost and rating and the findings ended up getting the editor canned. I guess manufacturers don't appreciate the magazines they advertise in providing independant test data suggesting that their $700 helmets provide no better protection than the $70 special that passed the exact same certifications.

Of course this doesn't address weight, comfort, fit and finish, or appearance which are all very real and worth paying for. However, the premise that more money buys more protection was busted in this instance. The fallout also shows that there is not much appetite for real journalism independant of what the big manufacturers
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

December 18, 2013 02:18PM
I remember reading that motorcycle article. It was really well put together, and showed evidence and actual test data to make a point.
The non-Snell helmets were better in lower force impacts (resulting in less than 400g's I think...) than the Snell rated helmets. Even in larger impacts the DOT helmets were only off by a few percent. As someone who has raced motorcycles and DH mountain bikes, I know the value of a good helmet. I have also had a few concussions while wearing helmets. I know the seriousness of the situation.

As far as cost goes, I am not against spending money for protective gear. I have a lot sitting in my closet for whatever "extreme sport" I choose to partake in. I am against spending money on a name, or on a product that greatly surpasses a benchmark that may not be beneficial (Snell to some degree). If I can get a better/safer product for less from a new brand, then I will go that route for sure. If I'm buying just a name, I'll stick with G-Force, at least it'll match my suit. smiling smiley

Now companies (I think 3) are working on protecting from rotational brain injuries.
http://mipshelmet.com/home

Edit:
Here's some food for thought on helmet ratings: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/BlowingTheLidOff.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 02:26PM by Robert Culbertson.
rocky mountain autosports
Bryan Short
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 JDM WRX STI

December 18, 2013 02:21PM
I say buy what you feel most comfortable with and go racing. I don't like wasting money just like the next guy.
In fact, I race with an Stilo open face helmet. They are common in rally. But not as safe as a full face helmet when it comes to face protection.
Previously, I referenced: http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/howsafe.html. Another is at: http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/howsafe.html. Both are great articles I agree with.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 18, 2013 03:15PM
Robert Culbertson
I remember reading that motorcycle article. It was really well put together, and showed evidence and actual test data to make a point.
The non-Snell helmets were better in lower force impacts (resulting in less than 400g's I think...) than the Snell rated helmets. Even in larger impacts the DOT helmets were only off by a few percent. As someone who has raced motorcycles and DH mountain bikes, I know the value of a good helmet. I have also had a few concussions while wearing helmets. I know the seriousness of the situation.

As far as cost goes, I am not against spending money for protective gear. I have a lot sitting in my closet for whatever "extreme sport" I choose to partake in. I am against spending money on a name, or on a product that greatly surpasses a benchmark that may not be beneficial (Snell to some degree). If I can get a better/safer product for less from a new brand, then I will go that route for sure. If I'm buying just a name, I'll stick with G-Force, at least it'll match my suit. smiling smiley

Now companies (I think 3) are working on protecting from rotational brain injuries.
http://mipshelmet.com/home

Edit:
Here's some food for thought on helmet ratings: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://lic.abateflorida.com/Library/Library/BlowingTheLidOff.pdf

Good read....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

December 18, 2013 03:33PM
Also just a thought. What is it besides banging heads on bars that the helmet is really protecting? On a motorcycle, yes, clearly a helmet is a good idea because it is the only thing between your mushy brain and the pavement when you smack it at 80mph on the highway.

On a more modern rally car, with proper winged seats, cage padding, extra bars, thick B-pillars, roof bars, etc. what is the helmet really doing besides keeping your head safe from bar banging? I can see on older cars with simple seats and no HANs with your head whipping around that it's good to have a solid helmet. But in a car with fully winged seats and FIA approved cage padding is that $1200 helmet really going to do much better than a $300 one?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 18, 2013 03:34PM
Black Armor is a rebadged Chinese helmet. I considered starting my own helmet company using them a year or so ago...
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/729369599/SNELL_SAH2010_open_face_helmet_BF1.html

Lots of resellers of that product on alibaba. Bring in ten, put your own name on them!

Grant Hughes
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

December 18, 2013 03:37PM
NoCoast
Black Armor is a rebadged Chinese helmet. I considered starting my own helmet company using them a year or so ago...
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/729369599/SNELL_SAH2010_open_face_helmet_BF1.html

Lots of resellers of that product on alibaba. Bring in ten, put your own name on them!

Who cares if it is? If it works it works.

People were super sketch about the Bimarcos, but it wasn't until some people took the chance, sent $1000 to a polish dude, waited a month, and got two fantastic FIA approved winged seats. Now everyone seems to be getting them for their new rally car builds and more retailers are trying to stock them.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 18, 2013 03:37PM
First rally I competed at I came across a red cross incident. Driver face planted into the steering wheel.
Tanner's video from his roll at Rally Colorado in a PGT car showed his head hitting the shifter or hydraulic handbrake. No joke.
The most comfortable helmet I've ever worn is still my $150 GForce open face from 10 years ago. I still wear it for test days and even occasionally on a spirited drive.
My $1000 Sparco full face never fit right, but damn the Peltor built in did it's job. The new Sparco ones are tiny.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 18, 2013 03:39PM
MConte05
Who cares if it is? If it works it works.

People were super sketch about the Bimarcos, but it wasn't until some people took the chance, sent $1000 to a polish dude, waited a month, and got two fantastic FIA approved winged seats. Now everyone seems to be getting them for their new rally car builds and more retailers are trying to stock them.

Didn't say anything negative about them. Just stating what they are.

Grant Hughes
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

December 20, 2013 10:03PM
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a stilo or peltor. I have 3 helmets (a bell mag4?, 2 zamps -including a full face find the Zamps more comfortable) but non have integrated comms and they all suck when co-driving in a 9000rpm Honda. Only way we get to communicate is when I wear the drivers old full face Peltor and still have issues due to stilo intercom with peltor adapter. We even went as far as splicing into the Stilo intercom and got the driver to hear me with me barely hearing anything. I plan on getting a Stilo open face with integrated hard boom as i'm not a huge fan of a full face setup for rallying... The shitty thing about is that my car has a peltor intercom but not as loud as the hondah so the adapter should work. Another thing to keep in mind is the flexible booms get damaged over time...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
simoniac
Simon Wright
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

December 21, 2013 02:32PM
If you're careful with the flec booms they are fine - mine are going on 6 years and 40+ events.

One downside to the fixed mic boom is you can't move them out of the way when you need to:

* talk to someone outside the car
* cough
* burb
* throw up

Simon

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
Perry
Perry Seaman
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

December 25, 2013 05:31PM
I just bought a canary suit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171001200444)..

Add me to the el-cheapo rally club. I guess wild suit colors or Nascar embroidery is like a letter jacket for the club..

Now I just gotta figure out how to vinyl my helmet to look like a pencil eraser and the metal collar that holds the eraser on.

Perry

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2013 05:32PM by Perry.
alkun
Albert Kun
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

December 25, 2013 08:06PM
awesome, at least we won't lose you in the woods...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login