Advanced

Entry level suit and helmet/comm setup?

Posted by deaner 
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

Re: Entry level suit and helmet/comm setup?
December 25, 2013 08:13PM
Perry
I just bought a canary suit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171001200444)..

Add me to the el-cheapo rally club. I guess wild suit colors or Nascar embroidery is like a letter jacket for the club..

Now I just gotta figure out how to vinyl my helmet to look like a pencil eraser and the metal collar that holds the eraser on.

Perry
It dosen't look THAT bad. I'd rock it.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

December 26, 2013 11:47AM
Perry
I just bought a canary suit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171001200444)..

Add me to the el-cheapo rally club. I guess wild suit colors or Nascar embroidery is like a letter jacket for the club..

Now I just gotta figure out how to vinyl my helmet to look like a pencil eraser and the metal collar that holds the eraser on.

Perry

We should start a "cheap-ass rally drivers with bright yellow suits" club.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 26, 2013 01:32PM
I used to have a bright yellow USFS smoke jumper 100% Nomex suit that I really liked. It had pockets all over, pockets for pens on the arms and leg and was super practical.....but it wasn't a "race" suit, didn't look like it and man did I get shit about it.....no stripes, no 2 panels...

But it worked fine...thru all those dozens of fires which I never had.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Creech
Scott Creech
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

December 26, 2013 04:13PM
john vanlandingham
I used to have a bright yellow USFS smoke jumper 100% Nomex suit that I really liked. It had pockets all over, pockets for pens on the arms and leg and was super practical.....but it wasn't a "race" suit, didn't look like it and man did I get shit about it.....no stripes, no 2 panels...

Lucky you didn't DIE in that thing!

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 26, 2013 07:36PM
Creech
john vanlandingham

Lucky you didn't DIE in that thing!

I sweated enough to die. That put out the flames.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Perry
Perry Seaman
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

December 28, 2013 11:48AM
Just for reference for others..

The G-force GF545 suit I bought in extra large fits we very well.
I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. "medium build" I guess.. 34x34 jeans usually. Normally have to buy everything in large-tall to get the arms long enough..
By the sizing chart I expected it to fit baggy in the middle and short on the arms and legs, but it's actually a good fit all around. I probably could have gotten away with a large if you want the tailered racer-boy fit.. but I can see that a tighter suit would be harder on the zipper when you pull it over your shoulders.
I really can't believe the arms and legs are long enough on this thing.

And yes, the semi-gloss yellow is blinding in the sunshine.. but It looks better than I expected, overall I'm happy with my choice.

So, do I put a #2 in a black box on the front like a pencil (#2 racing..), or just bring some red boxing gloves with me everywhere and call it a banana suit?

So all told, I have an SA2010 open face helmet that I bought at a conference "special price" for $150, A set of Hans posts for $50, a $191 (shipped) driver's suit on clearance because of color, and a friend with a proper sized Hans collecting dust.. I plan to buy the $110 peltor helmet audio kit from the link in a previous post here. So I'm up to about $500, ready to codrive without even buying used stuff.. (no charge for the borrowed hans).

Now, who has an empty right seat at sandblast?
Perry

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.
DTG
David Green
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
WRC

DTG
April 04, 2014 05:26AM
Hello guys,
like to give my 2C worth... As for the discussion with a cheap helmet versus an expensive helmet. Lets set a picture correct over what standard they carry first!! Any Snell approved helmet is tested very vigorously over there in CA. The testing method is exactly the same for that SA rated "cheaper helmet" as it is on the dearer helmet. So l really cannot see an advantage of paying $1000 to lets be more realistic and say $500-700 helmets. Yes there would surly be an advantage over comfort (one would hope) on the dearer helmet, though safety wise, l can certainly tell you there would not be a difference. It is more the point of manufacture, China V anywhere in the west!! Yes the cost of manufacturing anywhere in the world today other than the likes of China/Asia is almost a thing of the past, due to manufacturing costs.. We all would like to be able to spend money on a BRAND name, but not everyone can afford too. I myself have developed a helmet for marine racing, using locally built helmet kits used in our V8 Supercars here in AU (best Dynamic mic available and all Nexus connectors) with ear muffs and compatible with Stilo amps, though as a kit l supply the Peltor FMT120 amp (and guess what, the Peltor amp is clearly labelled "Made In China"winking smiley I can also say l use the same chin strap (Kevlar) as all the brand named helmets, same fire resistant lining, l cant really believe there would be much in a difference in composite shells and control the weight to under 1500gms The cost for the Snell testing was huge, so l am trying to get the helmets into the Rally scene to try to recover costs over the next couple of years.. So, yes in life "we get what we pay for" and we also pay for a " BRAND NAME" but don't knock stuff just because it is made in another country!! Look for certifications, and l can tell you that Snell would not allow a counterfeit to slip through.... If anyone wants to have a look at my website, please feel free www.dtgraceproducts.com.au Dave G PS also looking for a dealer in the USA if anyone is interested.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

April 07, 2014 09:02AM
David:

You are going to need to manufacture the helmets with HANS posts as a HANS or other approved neck device is required by both rallying sanctioning bodies in the US.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
DTG
David Green
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
WRC

DTG
April 08, 2014 04:40AM
Hello mate, thanks for the reply.. Yes local bodies are changing rules as of 2015 for the use of Hans devices in all National events. These helmets are already predrilled and are supplied with M6 inserts.. I am currently trying to get them on the FIA list, just depending on costs and how Snell and FIA revise the testing approvals...
Would really like to get in contact with someone over there that may be interested in supplying my helmets, they really are very comfortable and light...
Dave G
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login