reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

Re: How far do you go
October 01, 2013 10:26AM
bknblk2
Just build a pipe with flanges in the same place as the turbo. bolt, drive, win! no racer ever has enough powah, but you will scare yourself straight at 100AW. Perryville is about the PERFECT first rally, good roads, laid back.

Unfortunately the midwest is Rally America country. Unless you are lucky enough to live in a major rally area, the Northwest, MI, etc. a 6 hour tow is going to be classed as "close" My "home " event 100 Acre Wood is 8 hours. If you want to run NASA events, that's fine, but you won't be happy with how many coefficients you will need to run turbo AWD in RA, Hint: years and years of two rally/years.

You will spend far more on towing than you will on unturboing the leggy.

But thats the great thing about rally, if you can find a ruleset that will let you, you can do what ever you like! Tow it to Mexico!

wow now I find RA even more ridiculous. 18 coeffiecients to run turbo awd. By the way the car makes probably 220whp and 200 ft/lbs of tq, nothing insane and i might be overexaggerating. And perryville gives you 2 coeffiecents and 100 acre wood gives 3? So your telling me that 80mph in a 2wd car is safer than 80mph in an awd car? Which weighs more 100lbs of feathers or 100lbs of gold.

Also I am in no way saying that I need the horsepower, I got the car for super cheap and just don't want to have to change out the engine. Were talking about an old legacy. Anyways yea I got my answer out of this thread, most people drive the distance and only do it maybe 2-4 times a year if that.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Please Login or Register to post a reply
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

October 01, 2013 10:56AM
Yep. Welcome to jousting at windmills. It can be very frustrating to new folks (and old). Exact same cage requirements for the slowest car as the fastest. exact same safety equip, including HANS. It's their sandbox, they make the rules. It's not a "club" we only get to vote with our money.

If you stick with rally, the few hours and dollars you'll spend on the conversion will be a distant memory when you get fully infected and start going metriccrapton on the money and time. Even if the clouds parted and the sun shown down on you and poof! you could drive turbo AWD in RA, you have to choke it with a restrictor. So you would be down in there wrenching on the turbo anyway...
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

October 01, 2013 11:41AM
Want to know how I bypassed my turbo? A week before the event I went to autozone, bought up $30-40 in stupid the CAI kits, the plastic ones with shittier than shit plastic fasteners, crappy cone filter. I took off the intake and the pipe that goes from the turbo to the throttle body. I bolted on the AutoZone Ricetastic Cold Air Intake, disconnected the wastegate, then I had my finacee and my mother down a bottle of wine so I could take the cork and stuff it in the Idle Air Control valve.

I jacked up the idle to 2000 RPM's, and went a-racin'.

And know what? It wasn't terrible!

http://rally-america.com/events/2011/Perry1/results/

After 4 stages I was 24 seconds behind the huebbes. My other 3 stages weren't counted since we forgot to give the time card to sweep after I crashed at the end of Stage 7 (now affectionately named "Conte's Corner" ) but I was only a few seconds behind Tyler Witte, and the red mist set in when I was trying to chase him down to get 2nd place in OL.

I had asked RA to get a waiver for running the Legacy in a stock configuration. Hurst said if I did a track day with the car, or some sort of event at speed (above 2nd gear rallyX speeds) then he probably would have granted me one. But after the cost of a local track day ($300 + hotel + gas + tires) it was going to be cheaper to swap in an engine.

But I had fun with my turbo screaming, spooling up, blowing oil through the hood scoop onto the windshield, and going nowhere. It was hilarious having it stalling under hard braking. Overall it was a fantastic time that made for a great story of "my first rally". I don't regret a single bit of it.

*EDIT* FYI, 100AW is a 5 coefficent event, and PVille is 2. I have more than 18 coefficents and I plan on staying in Open Light for a long time, the competition in it is just awesome. Open is just unessecary, especially since a well driven OL car is going to win regional rallies outright, as proven several times this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 11:48AM by MConte05.
reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 12:36PM
matt sorry i got ya riled up, I just want to be stubborn smiling smiley O and I would take a trackday over swapping out an engine lol and I am sure it was awesome. I have been down that road with slow cars and its annoying. If I had bought an NA car for 1000 bucks I would be rallying that instead. Its not that I have my mind set on turbo its just I don't want to do more work than I have to. O did i mention I am lazy and stubborn smiling smiley Also I didn't see where 100 acre wood is 5, I just assumed 3 through the rule book.

not to take a jab at the competition, but when I ran rallyx I did amazing when it was just a local rally x, when it came to a national event with good drivers I got killed. So when you talk about perryville like that, it just sounds like a local rally x with more redtape and money, and yes a lot more fun, but I wouldn't make it sound extremely competitive.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea bypassing the turbo like that, so who knows I might end up doing that. Especially since I do already have 4.11 gears.

I am not an alien

HiTempguy
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 01, 2013 01:25PM
What Matt said. On a Subaru (of all cars), bypassing the turbo will be stupid easy. Hell, I just did a turbo swap in a few hours of leisurely wrenching on a buddies car this past Saturday. Of all the jobs I'd be worried about, this isn't one of them (except plan for those turbo bolts to be a bitch unless you've been soaking them for the past week in wd40 if they've never been removed before).
reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 02:00PM
actually i have already taken out the trans, and putting in a rebuilt one. So i have new bolts for my downpipe after hacking out the old ones. I was more concerned with ECU coping just because its old school stuff.

I am not an alien

MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

October 01, 2013 02:37PM
Would I have "gotten killed" at a national event with a turboless setup on a turbo engine? Still probably would have placed higher than half the field. My setup now, which is an EJ22 with some Deltacams, stock exhaust, a nice intake, 4.11 trans, and 2800lbs of weight is still enough to be competitive with the top regional guys when driven right.

On the stages where everything clicked for me at 100AW I was only a few seconds off top 10 or top 15 national times. Beating out plenty of SP and Open class cars. The car is 100% not holding me back, I still have a lot to learn as a driver (like braking wayyy later) and being more consistant. Some stages I am killing it, some others I just can't get in a rhythm. But that only comes with more seat time. Not a stronger engine, not better suspension, not a better transmission.

It sounds like you are being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn and will just be like 90% of the people who want to rally, talk big about what they think they need, but never actually do anything, and never heard from again.
reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 02:58PM
ahh the numbers, Matt I will probably be sitting next to you at perryville and 100 acre wood and say you were right. The discussion started because I was trying to see if the norm for people is to do 2 rallies a year and drive 2000 miles round trip. Then someone said deturbo the car, I thought that deturboing the car would be a really bad idea. Obviously its not. Also competition isn't what it seems if someone in a 300whp car is using their car like its 100whp car. Yes it will make you feel fuzzy inside, but most of the people I see interviewed and look on their websites about there team aren't out there for the win. I know I have had my car sitting around for a while and have talked a bit and never rallied my car, but that is because I am getting priorities straight so I don't have to all the sudden sell my car like 50% of the people seem to do. I want to be rallying for a while, so I am going to ask questions. So yea, I owned up. Should deturbo the car and just run missouri since its closer. Then if i want to go to somewhere different I will have to saddle up and go for a 2000 mile journey. Just because I ask questions and have to learn things doesn't mean I am going to disappear. Didn't you say it took a couple of years for you to start rallying? And I have a kid and half the income of you, so give me a second and I'll get my car together. Also there is absolutely no rally community in oklahoma to help out. So just relax take a deep breath. I agree with what has been said and have some of my own views. I am still going to ask questions and probably be wrong and I am ok with that.

also to beat on suspension engine and trans, I prefer to not have to DNF because of broken suspension.
If I break suspension at a rally and can't get back going again, there goes 2000$ on an event, which I could have spent that 2000$ on rally suspension and been out the 2000$ or so, yes but now I know I don't have to just throw that 2g's away for running stock suspension. At least that is my arguement and maybe i am wrong again.

I also was worried about hurting the engine being de turboed. The car was 1000 bux and engine and trans were all in there. So when you say upgraded engine, I see it as this is free engine, use it wisely.

The original trans blew 2nd gear so swapped over wrx trans and swapped in the differential. Car came with 4.11 gearing. And LSD in the back.

This isn't another I need an STi to go rallying. This is I have a 1000 dollar car that came with some nice stuff and I want to rally it.

I am not an alien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 03:08PM by reecers.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

October 01, 2013 03:08PM
I did luck into being in an area that has a very active rally community (St. Louis). It took me a few years before I started rallying, but before then I was volunteering at races, I got dragged to LSPR to help volunteer, I volunteered at 100AW, then did media one year, then I got into Co-driving because that was the cheapest way to get into a car. I begged and borrowed for a few races, hardly paid any money out of pocket, just my time. Then I lucked into a great Craigslist deal, but was in the process of saving up cash to try and find a FWD or RWD car to start driving, the AWD Legacy just fell into my hands at the right time.

I really hope you can make it to Perryville. If it's travel money that is an issue, one of my good college buddies lives in Tulsa, and makes it out to almost all the local races, he volunteers every year at 100AW to see his buddies go racing. I can get you in touch with him and maybe you guys can carpool. And if you do make, be sure to say hello. I am always willing to talk about how to rally cheaply.

Blows my mind sometimes how much some people can blow on the sport with dismal results. Seeing things like "we are just here for fun" also boggles my mind... you are in a race, so freaking RACE. For me having fun is setting stage times that are near the top. Not puddling along at under 40mph. If you truely have that competitive mindset, then you are already better than half the field.

*EDIT* Responding to your Edits.

If you go with that mindset, you'll be saving up constantly, that's what seems to "get" people when building a car, they think they need this, think they need that, and 4 years later and $20k poorer, they go out on stage and end up second to last in their class. Not saying that is exactly how you'll go down, but that's the mindset you are portraying. The roads, especially in Missouri are incredibly forgiving for suspension. I would 100% go race on stock suspension for Perryville, thats what I did my first year. And I would maybe back off a bit on the southern loop stages at 100AW, but otherwise the other 75% of the stages are very smooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 03:11PM by MConte05.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 01, 2013 03:26PM
^ What he said is pretty much accurate. Don't 'think' you need. Just get on stage. You'll learn as you go. Unless you want to listen to people who have done it before verbatim, the only way you're going to learn is by doing it.
reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 01, 2013 03:33PM
k, responding to suspension. That is just how i was looking at that. My build will just be at this point the cage from safedrives and saftey stuff from them most likely and suspension and possibly front skidplate. I have a couple of sets of stock 15" subaru rims that I will probably run and get some tires and go for it. The goal is 5-7 grand and be on stage. I don't want to build it forever but when you work opposite schedules as your baby momma and have a 1 year old things get a little tricky and you don't want to be that guy that spends more time and money on the car than with your son. But now that the little guy is more self sustaining I can get back to work on stuff with the money I saved up while doing near to nothing. I am not the guy that sits there trying to perfect everything. If a cage would go together with ductape i would be done smiling smiley

I am not an alien

MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

October 01, 2013 03:55PM
Have you considered trying to co-drive for anyone? It is a GREAT experience, especially if you are set on building your own car. You'll quickly learn whats actually nessecary.

Lots of people end up needing co-drivers. Sometimes waving a little cash will have them take on a newbie. You can always borrow equipment, I know I have let 3 people borrow my equipment for races this year alone, I don't ask for any money, just that it is returned cleaned up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login