Posted by ChrisKobi 
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

Re: So I just heard Mt. Hood was cancilled
October 04, 2013 10:14AM
Yeah, being a civil engineer, I'm insulted by those grading rates. It's clearly a fuck-off quote for road grading. In the great state of Missouri, our counties typically re-grade roads for $0.19 per foot ($1000 per mile) and place & grade new gravel for $3000 per mile. You could practically build from scratch 17 miles of new road for $500,000.

http://www.huebberally.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 04, 2013 11:06AM
DNR finally 'considered' allowing us to use some of the old Capitol Forest roads again. I think the number tossed out was about $50k....that was a few years ago and I don't believe it included repairs. Basically a fuck off number same as the $6 a foot.

At least it sounds like a linear foot and not a square foot.

Here's what we are looking at more and more. December thru April events are too wet, road use restricted due to wet lands, mud, silt and run off issues or spotted owl mating stuff. May thru July seems to be somewhat 'safe'. August thru October is fire danger. November gets the hunting season thing.

Tain't easy these days.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 04, 2013 11:41AM
heymagic
Here's what we are looking at more and more. December thru April events are too wet, road use restricted due to wet lands, mud, silt and run off issues or spotted owl mating stuff. May thru July seems to be somewhat 'safe'. August thru October is fire danger. November gets the hunting season thing.

June and July are out because all the panty wastes drivers that think it's too hot.

Grant Hughes
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

October 04, 2013 01:09PM
More food for thought.

Most counties in Missouri already budget $1500 to $2600 per mile ($0.30 - $0.50 per foot) for the yearly maintenance of their gravel roads. Not all roads get/need maintenance but that's what they budget for the total number of miles they have. So, if you are currently paying $0.075 per mile to the county, ask yourself this question: Does 1 afternoon of rallying on those roads equate to 15% to 25% of the damage?

I find it hard to believe that they need to grade much. Many times the roads are only chewed up in soft corners or hairpins. 2 years ago at 100aw you couldn't even tell a rally happened the day after, if it weren't for the start lines.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 04, 2013 02:05PM
And a rake and shovel can make a huge difference at start lines. Really bad corners can be mitigated somewhat by hay bales on the out side. An expense yes, but easier to recover gravel and if the damage appears less the road costs may well be less.

Regional events tend to do less damage. Lesser number of cars to begin with and the ones that do show tend to be slower overall. The fast regional guys are still fast but without the dozen very fast national guys digging up roads the damage will be less.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 04, 2013 02:39PM
One of our local hillclimbs is on the hook for ~ $7500 to use a 5 mile stretch of road. From what we can tell, doesn't look like any repairs are ever made. My guess is someone found out the club paid out winnings and figured they could use that too. Now the event has to charge $150-200 extra in entry fees (over the $175 standard entry fee) to break even.

Dave
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

October 04, 2013 02:41PM
heymagic
The fast regional guys are still fast but without the dozen very fast national guys digging up roads the damage will be less.

OMG we just discovered how to lower road fees! thumbs up smiley

winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 04, 2013 02:44PM
Anders Green
heymagic
The fast regional guys are still fast but without the dozen very fast national guys digging up roads the damage will be less.

winking smiley

We?? What's this 'we' shit Tonto? My idea, I'll get rich and be able to buy a WRC car to run divisionals with. You ain't seen road damage yet...smiling bouncing smiley
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 04, 2013 02:47PM
Anders Green
heymagic

winking smiley

Next up, banning tires with full tread...or AWD! winking smiley
pdxphil42
Phil Meyers
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX #214

October 04, 2013 02:51PM
Or mandate Rally Skid Plate racing!

"I, for one, welcome our Robot Overlords." - Philip J. Fry
starion887
starion887
Godlike Moderator

October 04, 2013 06:16PM
I was paying around 5 cents per foot for RWV. Those road bases are really hard (as they are out in Southern MO, John), and gravel is readily available in that region, so it is gonna be more reasonable than some areas. Most year, some of the roads indeed were fixed up, and the DOT was fine with fixing up some perrenial rough spots ahead of time. Road damage was indeed minimal; even when it poured buckets in 2006, the roads were not touched. STPR roads, on the other hand, can get really rutted when it is really rainy.

The Mt Hood county folks sent an obvious message. Well, let's hope it comes back to bite them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2013 06:18PM by starion887.
Jay
Jay Woodward
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
October 05, 2013 01:26AM
You would think getting a hunnerd or so spendthrifts to come into a town like this would be viewed as a good tbing...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

October 05, 2013 11:58AM
So the county charges for a road maintenance fee to "repair" the damage that was done. Would there be a way to waive the fee if the organizers hired a private contractor/volunteer to do the maintenance?
I (and my family) have a lot of experience in gravel road building and maintenance. We no longer have the equipment, but that can be rented for a reasonable price. Maybe a weekend or two of work and that would cover about everything.
You could even follow up with a truck with gravel, and just shovel/rake the road back into shape.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 05, 2013 02:07PM
Jay
You would think getting a hunnerd or so spendthrifts to come into a town like this would be viewed as a good tbing...

Only takes one rich Californian tree hugger to move into the area and ruin everything.
There used to be a rally in Colorado near Westcliffe Colorado (Gold Rush Rally I think) that basically ended in the 90s which I was told was due to CA tree huggers... See Pikes Peak pavement and the Buena Vista Hill Climb...

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login