Please Login or Register to post a reply
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

Re: The x games? come on
August 07, 2007 08:22AM
I thought it really started to look like euro rally cross.

Next year maybe they'll have 2 jumps...not one car going under the other...something like the figure 8 racing we've seen here in the US ;p Should make for spectacular TV time...

Whoever gets selected should bring lots of cash though...
Duffster
Duffy Bowers
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Mitsu Starion/ 1990 Toy Celica/ maybe soon 1971 Opel Manta

August 07, 2007 11:05AM
I didn't (luckilY) watch this "event". (Mostly thanks to the buckets of rain on the tow back from RWV) But I did watch some combine demolition derby interspersed with a monster truck thingy on Wendsday night.

2 thoughts struck me, 1 what a waste of expnsive equipment (combines), and 2 this amuses me the way "(idle) american idol" amuses lots of poeple. There is a fascination with wrecks and the xgames was filled with them. So it begs the question, why where the spectators there? I would bet a majority wanted to see an accident.

I just hope next year starts with "We whose cars are about to die salute you!"

Duffy B
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

August 07, 2007 12:16PM
I've got a question for you. Was it your car? Was it your money?

No. So why do you care who crashed?

BTW, the amount of damage done in the Xgames is on par with what you would see at a typical rally.

I was there and it was an awesome time. You fuddy-duddys talking about how it's a bastardization of rally can put a sock in it. I hardly feel that millions of people now knowing at least vaguely about what rallying is about is a *bad* thing.

And no, I wasn't there for an accident. I was there for a dozen cars competing head to head on mixed surfaces in rally cars. It was real racing and everyone in that stadiu, had a blast.

Eli

Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

August 07, 2007 12:37PM
gilbrock Wrote:
> BTW, the amount of damage done in the Xgames is on
> par with what you would see at a typical rally.

Let's see, typical rally has 40 cars and 80 miles, this one had 12 cars over two miles, so, only about 133 times more damage per mile per car? *grin*

> I was there and it was an awesome time.

Everyone that thinks attending the Xgames rally event wouldn't be fun, raise your hands! Ok, I'm not raising mine. If I was there, I'd check it out, and I'm pretty sure I would enjoy the spectacle.

> I've got a question for you. ... Was it your money?

Nope. I don't mind if someone else does that stuff. Would *I* pay for it? Nope. For many people the discussion centers on "Ok, so the X games is great for rally. Uh, great in what way that affects me directly???"

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Duffster
Duffy Bowers
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

August 07, 2007 02:32PM
>I've got a question for you. Was it your car? Was it your money?
>No. (Could Have been) So why do you care who crashed? BTW, the amount of damage done in the >Xgames is on par with what you would see at a typical rally.

Why Do I care... Well I know the expense and time that goes into proper car prep (which all of these guys and thier crews do) I know It's frustrating to get so few miles with that much damage. And the potential for injury, thus making entry fees greater for the rest of us is a concern too.

>I was there and it was an awesome time.You fuddy-duddys talking about how it's >a bastardization of rally can put a sock in it.

I'm gald you enjoyed yourself and the bastard rally that it was. Oh and I hav'ent gotten my socks out of the laundry yet, but they'll be spring time fresh.

>I hardly feel that millions of >people now knowing at least vaguely about what >rallying is about is a *bad* >thing.

You have to remember that we as a society have a short attention span... Sorry I forgot what I was saying there. No it's not a bad thing that poeple know what rally is or they know what xgames rally x is. But to say people will care is differnet. What will it do for me, you and the rest of the Rally community needs to be asked. I doubt the xgames will have any positive OR negitive long term impact. RA is trying very hard, and they should be congratulated for moving things forward; but what is the long term goal and how can we ALL be involved.
Lets make REAL Rally big for the competitors and spectators, not just one group, espcially the one who don't spend $$$$ on just getting there.

>And no, I wasn't there for an accident. I was there for a dozen cars competing >head to head on mixed surfaces in rally cars. It was real racing and everyone >in that stadiu, had a blast.

You may have been one of the few of us who aren't interested in seeing cars messed up and wondering how it could have been avioded or the other dynamics behind how it happened. It was Racing, But NOT Rally. Head to head is not the purpose of Rally, and you should know that.

Of course it was a balst! very few would deny watching any for of racing is fun.

BUT as a competitor I want to have fun too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And making a few laps in a stadium isn't fun for me. I'd rather have the road streaching out infront of me.

>L2 Over Your Mom

Eli, you don't seem to grasp that not everyone agrees with your opinion. And you seem to let that bother you, now I know it's nap time for you, but listen. I can have my opinion and vioce it here or elsewhere and telling me to put a spring fresh sock in it is not very mature.

Patronizingly
DuffyB
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 07, 2007 02:36PM
I liked the destruction. It shows that some in US rally are using other people's dime and helps keep rally prep people busy. And maybe scares the ones who are spending their own money.

Grant Hughes
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

August 07, 2007 03:08PM
Duffy, I didn't say put a clean sock in your mouth, I'd be perfectly happy with an old one.

smiling smiley

Duffster
Duffy Bowers
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

August 07, 2007 05:04PM
Well It was already in the dryer. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login