Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?

Posted by Jordan Hanley 
Jordan Hanley
Mega Moderator
Location: Woodford Halse(inbetween Banbury and Daventry in England)

How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?
October 11, 2013 03:25PM
I was just wondering how and what did people do to get a job in Motorsport? I'm currently studying the second year of Motorsport engineering level 3 at college, I'm planning to go to uni to study a foundation degree in Motorsport engineering and do work placements along uni as its only 2 days a week. The only motorsport experience I have has is with Toro Rosso in their wind tunnel facility for 5 days a year ago. I will be starting work experience with Toro Rosso again but this time it will be every Monday and Tuesday along side college and during this up coming holiday I will be doing work experience with Glazpart (Injection moulding) in the tool room. I would love to do work experience with any Motorsport company/ team however I cannot get any apart from Toro Rosso. I have contacted most places in Banbury and Daventry and some in Silverstone. I would be thankful if anyone can give me additional advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 03:49PM by Jordan Hanley.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?
October 11, 2013 06:10PM
I would read 'The Mechanic' since it adresses this in detail.

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

buy Racecarengineering, look in adverts... maybe Motorsport Snooze.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?
October 11, 2013 10:04PM
wear tight pants.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Ultra Moderator

Being in the UK is a huge step up on all of us hopefuls here in the US. There is something about national pride and motorsports it seems. A lot of motorsport jobs in the US are pretty small time compared to working for a larger company (unless you like NASCAR).
A good friend of mine just finished his PhD, and is now working for an F1 team. The average salary of most fresh BS students here is more than what he makes. He is living out his dream though.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, get involved with a Formula Student team. This has opened HUGE doors for me and my friends.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Wait wait wait wait.

You say 'Toro Rosso' like its a bad thing. grinning smiley

Enablers, All of you.
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 12, 2013 03:34PM
An acquaintance's son (Welsh) got a job with Arrow F1 team a couple years ago. There are some great opportunities over there.
Jordan Hanley
Mega Moderator

I will look into this
Jordan Hanley
Mega Moderator

We get a few Motorsport magazines every month at college.

I have been told University isn't that great for the practical side of things apart from a foundation degree and Formula Student isn't that good either but that was because of the organisational skills of the people who was running it.

The Toro Rosso work experience is good but it doesn't let me interact with the actual car itself as the main base is in Italy, apart from that its good for gaining knowledge and experience.

Didn't Arrows F1 team stop racing like 11 years ago?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2013 08:30AM by Jordan Hanley.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

October 13, 2013 09:26PM
How did I get a job in Motorsports?

I made enough money to retire and during my life I learned enough that I could be a value to a motorsports team. Then hired myself out at a price they could afford.

Jason McDaniel
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 14, 2013 01:02PM
modernbeat
How did I get a job in Motorsports?

I made enough money to retire and during my life I learned enough that I could be a value to a motorsports team. Then hired myself out at a price they could afford.

That is brilliant!

Grant Hughes
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

October 16, 2013 01:36PM
Didnt we talk about this same subject sometime last year? Between Banbury and Milton Keynes you'll find almost everything Motorsport. Besides the few companies like AP in Daventry, and both Hewland and Xtrac south of Oxford in Berks, everything is right there within commute distance.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Cosworth
Didnt we talk about this same subject sometime last year? Between Banbury and Milton Keynes you'll find almost everything Motorsport. Besides the few companies like AP in Daventry, and both Hewland and Xtrac south of Oxford in Berks, everything is right there within commute distance.

Yep. The British Gubbymint actually published a paper looking at the Souf-Midlands and said that it was in effect the "Silicon-Valley" of automotive design and engineering, and that nowhere else on earthg is there such a concentration of world leading motorsport R&D and manufacturing.

Fill up the ol Mobylette wif som premix and set off knocking on doors.
Dress nice, speak clear. And stress above all FLEXIBILITY.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

October 16, 2013 02:34PM
How much practical experience are you getting on the courses you are attending?
And do you get involved with much motor sport and mechanical activities out with Uni?
There is a huge range of different jobs which fit under the remit of a "motorsport mechanic". Have you got any preferences regarding what you wish to do?
I ask this as you may find it far more fulfilling to have a hands on job covering different aspects of work within a smaller rally team, rather than being stuck pulling carbon fibre sheit out of moulds for some F1 team and never getting the chance to travel and work in the more exciting and dynamic environment out in the field so to speak.

And if you buy a Mobylette for transport, just make sure you thrash the tits off it running Castrol R premix as you turn up for the interview and most team bosses worth their salt will hire you immediately just for the smell alone!!
But run it on that strawberry scented oil and a job selling ill fitting jeans to fixie bike riding faggots may be a more appropriate career to look into....

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

danster

But run it on that strawberry scented oil and a job selling ill fitting jeans to fixie bike riding faggots may be a more appropriate career to look into....

If he wants to work in F1 or any other tarmac related work then strawberry scented oil it is then! Ooooo you savage!

Oi you being maybe one of the few who'd know, where in the hierarchy of swish-a-tudinal-ness do Mobylettes, Motobecane, Fantic, and Vespas stack up from one swish to four?
(I mean we are talking working for "big manly teams" eh?)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login