Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?

Posted by Jordan Hanley 
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

Re: How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?
October 16, 2013 03:48PM
There is no work in F1 that's exciting and dynamic. Its all called bitch work, you get treated like a bitch day in day out, have no life, get paid £35000 to start right off Uni with really good engineer grades, and make no more than £50000 after a long hard life. You're always on the road, and always on call for when they want to go do some testing. You belong to them! AND there's no glory being stuck in a hot steamy tent looking at data lines all weekend. (if you're that good) If you want to be a mechanic, then its even more bitch work with cleaning everything during down time. AND no the girls on TV will not be caught dead looking at you with a mop in hand.

Think again and go the business route instead, or become a sensation pop star or shoot a sex tape...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danster
Haggis Muncher
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: How do you get a job in Motorsport as a race mechanic/ sub assembly in the Uk?
October 16, 2013 05:29PM
john vanlandingham
Oi you being maybe one of the few who'd know, where in the hierarchy of swish-a-tudinal-ness do Mobylettes, Motobecane, Fantic, and Vespas stack up from one swish to four?
(I mean we are talking working for "big manly teams" eh?)

In true motorsport style there is only one way to find out....Let's have a race!!

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
danster
Haggis Muncher
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

October 31, 2013 04:43PM
Bump. Hey Jordan, have you got a fancy racing moped or a groovy motorsports job yet?

Keeps us in the loop dude.....

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Jordan Hanley
Mod Moderator
Location: Woodford Halse(inbetween Banbury and Daventry in England)

Haha no I haven't got a job in motorsport or a fancy moped. I've left Toro Rosso and my motorsport engineering college as there wasn't much mechanics involved so I have transferred to the National College for Motorsport which I start this Tuesday which only does race mechanics and most of the teams recruit mechanics from, its mostly the smaller teams which recruit from Silverstone college. However I'm doing some work experience at my great uncles factory right now and have been offered an 4 year apprenticeship as tool maker for injection moulding which is very highly paid where I operate both manual machines and cnc as well as programming the cnc machines and building the moulds which is something im looking to get into as I will get to do machining and assembling stuff which are the two things I quite like and the job can easily allow me to buy myself a car which I can race or even drift and build which is another thing I want to do. So I might do the race mechanics course for the rest of the year and start the apprenticeship in the summer which is guaranteed or I can go into race mechanics as a full time job but get paid 3 or 4 times less but there is no race mechanics apprenticeship which is guaranteed for me. So im kinda stuck in which route I should go.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Jordan Hanley
Haha no I haven't got a job in motorsport or a fancy moped. I've left Toro Rosso and my motorsport engineering college as there wasn't much mechanics involved so I have transferred to the National College for Motorsport which I start this Tuesday which only does race mechanics and most of the teams recruit mechanics from, its mostly the smaller teams which recruit from Silverstone college. However I'm doing some work experience at my great uncles factory right now and have been offered an 4 year apprenticeship as tool maker for injection moulding which is very highly paid where I operate both manual machines and cnc as well as programming the cnc machines and building the moulds which is something im looking to get into as I will get to do machining and assembling stuff which are the two things I quite like and the job can easily allow me to buy myself a car which I can race or even drift and build which is another thing I want to do. So I might do the race mechanics course for the rest of the year and start the apprenticeship in the summer which is guaranteed or I can go into race mechanics as a full time job but get paid 3 or 4 times less but there is no race mechanics apprenticeship which is guaranteed for me. So im kinda stuck in which route I should go.

Quit fucking around and get on it. The Mechanics of simple shit like assembling junk is of one level of complexity---and that's why the teams recruit young guys to do all the grunty work, and you can learn that level of stuff on your own,

but a proper apprenticeship as tool maker, christ, get on it.

The days of guys like me running this mill, then that lathe and then going and welding that and them assembling a suspension part or even an engine is really over...

As a tool maker, if you're not a totally drunken lout, you're can have an excellent future...
Get on it...fiddle with simple assembly on your own stuff on your own time..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Jordan Hanley
Mod Moderator
Location: Woodford Halse(inbetween Banbury and Daventry in England)

I did some work experience at the tool maker facility and at the end of the week I had an interview for the toolmaker apprenticeship and the manager was happy with me so he said I needed to fill in a application form for the training centre which I have done so I'm waiting for a reply from the training centre and the tool making facility.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Jordan Hanley
I did some work experience at the tool maker facility and at the end of the week I had an interview for the toolmaker apprenticeship and the manager was happy with me so he said I needed to fill in a application form for the training centre which I have done so I'm waiting for a reply from the training centre and the tool making facility.

Good for you. Good choice. You are in an area where the future looks good.
The days of garage fecking around and making a living is gone there. High skill and you can go anywhere...

As a machinist, I was never out of work for more than 3 days unless I want to.
Of course I could move anywhere (helps speaking a few languages enough to work) but that wasn't it. I was ready and skilled and flexible.

A real apprenticeship. Man, that's good.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login