MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

Re: Perryville 2013 Vids
October 30, 2013 12:04PM
john vanlandingham
I had a nice de-briefing with James a couple of days ago and we talked about correct tire pressure. It was clear he started with much too much pressure and that means sketchy grip... And grip is the big deal on gravel for all cars but especially RWD...we talked about him going out and trying some lower pressure and working on braking, and of course in a few days he'll have the diff kit to stick the Supra LSD in. 4.3 ratio means more torque at all rpm and he'll be able to shift shorter and hook up better...
First event....lots to practice, lots of time for improvement.
Bright future.
si
Creech
The car sure looked good. I will also note - by SS7, you were launching a lot more aggressively - like you WANTED to get out there to the end of the stage before the car ahead of you.

Gotta have that Hunger...

Gotta have that grip! Aggression wasn't lacking off the line, but he let her rip off stage 1 and we just kinda sat there goin "Huh, guess we'll start moving at some point, right?". Every stage after was kinda just figuring out how much he could give it the go juice from a stop and actually still go.

I'm guessing the dust/spray behind us was impressive, at least.

RWD on dry/dusty gravel sure is a hoot though. Every time I looked up we were facing somewhere interesting. Even on straights, it seemed.

I hope someone caught footage of those T intersections, because those were a blast, but haven't seen any photos/footage of the rear-hanging-out yet.

Oh yes, his tire pressures were through the roof (32 cold).

James, when did you drop the pressures down like I mentioned? Sounded like you went out on the first stage with the 32 cold? probably were low to mid 40's hot?

I had mine at 19-20 psi hot. Probably could have dropped down a few more.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 30, 2013 12:18PM
MConte05
john vanlandingham
I had a nice de-briefing with James a couple of days ago and we talked about correct tire pressure. It was clear he started with much too much pressure and that means sketchy grip... And grip is the big deal on gravel for all cars but especially RWD...we talked about him going out and trying some lower pressure and working on braking, and of course in a few days he'll have the diff kit to stick the Supra LSD in. 4.3 ratio means more torque at all rpm and he'll be able to shift shorter and hook up better...
First event....lots to practice, lots of time for improvement.
Bright future.
si
Creech
The car sure looked good. I will also note - by SS7, you were launching a lot more aggressively - like you WANTED to get out there to the end of the stage before the car ahead of you.

Gotta have that Hunger...

Gotta have that grip! Aggression wasn't lacking off the line, but he let her rip off stage 1 and we just kinda sat there goin "Huh, guess we'll start moving at some point, right?". Every stage after was kinda just figuring out how much he could give it the go juice from a stop and actually still go.

I'm guessing the dust/spray behind us was impressive, at least.

RWD on dry/dusty gravel sure is a hoot though. Every time I looked up we were facing somewhere interesting. Even on straights, it seemed.

I hope someone caught footage of those T intersections, because those were a blast, but haven't seen any photos/footage of the rear-hanging-out yet.

Oh yes, his tire pressures were through the roof (32 cold).

James, when did you drop the pressures down like I mentioned? Sounded like you went out on the first stage with the 32 cold? probably were low to mid 40's hot?

I had mine at 19-20 psi hot. Probably could have dropped down a few more.

What tires were you on?
He was on D-mack and I'd guess the car is maybe 2650-2720 lbs so i suggested hot 23-24--(didn't ask what size derp derp)
My favorite Michelins hot worked good at 23-24 but that was both a smaller tire (14-62 x 15) and a MUCH lighter 2020lb car.
And driven what I would guess, much harder...(like top 7 o.a. Nationals)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

October 30, 2013 01:05PM
BFGoodrich 185/something-15's. Medium compound. 3100lb car with both drivers in the car.

At 26-28 hot, they are skittish as hell. I've found that 18-20 hot is a great range with a lot of grip. But to be honest I haven't really experimented all that much. I also run an incredibly mild alignment. -1.5 camber in the front, -.5* in the rear, zero toe, no swaybars. Works out well, but again, haven't really experimented all that much. Might try a bit more agressive alignment with my new car.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

October 30, 2013 01:33PM
What would people suggest for a 3300 lb car (yeah, we need to lose some weight off the car) and a 60F/40R static weight bias for hot pressure we should be shooting for? You can see our videos above, so "novice" driver. I'm getting a feeling our hot pressures are too high.
jbass
James Bass
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

October 30, 2013 05:40PM
Conte, we did heed your advice (thanks, by the way!!!), and I think the stage times show it - SS1/SS2 were pretty bad - until we dropped to uh- what- 22? 20? hot. I don't remember now - I need to play the audio track on the cam - I'm sure I was yammerin' it somewhere (really need to write this shit down!). But- after that it was much better. I'll admit, I was scared to drop it *too* much, because of debeading/etc. although later I found that's nothing to be worried about.

Yup -got some good advice (as always) from John V yesterday. Sometimes, it takes a bit to sink into my head, but hopefully it does, and hopefully we learn.

I'd like to know more about relations on weight/tire pressure/size/pressure bias/drive type(rwd/fwd/awd) etc. too. We were running Dmack DMG2 175/75/R15 in G4.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 30, 2013 06:20PM
Nubby
What would people suggest for a 3300 lb car (yeah, we need to lose some weight off the car) and a 60F/40R static weight bias for hot pressure we should be shooting for? You can see our videos above, so "novice" driver. I'm getting a feeling our hot pressures are too high.

At hillclimbs (read: short stages less than 5 miles in length) with new BFGs I'd start with 22f and 20r. Our evo was probably 3350 with us in it back then. Now its ~3000 but some of that weight reduction was as the result of banning navvies. sad smiley

Dave
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

October 31, 2013 08:10AM
Okay, that's a lot lower than what I thought we should be running. I'll have to give that a try, kinda curious how that will affect the car. My guess is "gooder".
Dante
Allan Dantes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

October 31, 2013 08:19AM
This makes me sad and optimistic.... as I have been running 28....cold..

I've hated not having traction..

Now I'm excited to test!!

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

October 31, 2013 08:22AM
Dante
This makes me sad and optimistic.... as I have been running 28....cold..

I've hated not having traction..

Now I'm excited to test!!

I didn't want to admit it, but we were running the same.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

October 31, 2013 08:47AM
If it makes you all feel better, I first ran upper 20's as well, until I talked with Bill Caswell who told me to run low 20's, high teens, and that apparently Duplessis would drop it down to like 12-13psi if he was going maximum attack to get as much grip as possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login