Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

Re: Cheap 2013 Fiesta for those wanting to build one
November 11, 2013 06:04PM
danster
I find it really strange as it seems many in the USA ignore anything under 2 litre engine size as being a viable option to rally. Some of the best and closest competition over here in the UK is in the smaller capacity classes where true talent and commitment shines through.

As others have mentioned, we're lacking lower displacement cars (esp. historically - lots of new stuff < 2l), but we're also lacking lower displacement classes. (Yes, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem)

Aside from their lightly subscribed "b-spec" class, rally-america's lowest displacement class is 2.5L. NASA appears to be similar.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 11, 2013 07:59PM
Cosworth
NoCoast
There is a small contingent of rally guys that will not even consider JVAB parts. Saw a guy posting on facebook the other day and one of us telling him to order JVAB and be done with it and he said never.
Lol and that is the typical case where John could shine. I tried to say that it would fix his issues but he did have his point.
And the Fiestas are only fast with fast drivers. I've yet to see some Joe Schmoe jump in the car and set the world on fire. John kept saying what a nice 1.6 with good gear and suspension can do, well with the driver it had pedaling it even in a POS they could delight everyone. And as far as the "other" Fiestas out there, where are they in the leaderboards? What's their return for spending 60k on a car that is keeping them in the same places in the classifications.

Paulinho I keep stressing very explicitly "Look what that guy Brendon Reeves can do with a little 1.6 with the right bits"
A little sentence diagramming would show the SUBJECT of the sentence is Brendon Reeves, the clause "in a little 1.6" and 'with the right bits' are auxiliary clauses....
The central thing is obviously the subject: Reeves.

We all know that it is harder and thus more costly to build I highly tuned little motor, and it takes a close ratio gear set to keep it on the boil PRESUMING THE DRIVER CAN...and that's a jump I can't take after watching our drivers..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

November 11, 2013 08:28PM
Aaron Luptak

As others have mentioned, we're lacking lower displacement cars (esp. historically - lots of new stuff < 2l), but we're also lacking lower displacement classes. (Yes, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem)

Aside from their lightly subscribed "b-spec" class, rally-america's lowest displacement class is 2.5L. NASA appears to be similar.

We (CARS) had a low displacement class... P1, sub 1.4L adjusted. It was basically Swifts and Justys. Late 90's early 00's there was a ton of cars running it. I knew of 6 Justys in Ontario and Quebec personally, plus probably 10+ Swifts. We had a BLAST dukin' it out when I got started in '04. Those cars are to long rotten, and gone. I don't know why the Echo, or Yaris didn't take their place. Subsequently P1 disappeared (but not before we got a First in Class, Dead Fn' Last!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login