Posted by derek 
derek
Derek Bottles
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

I had fun at a NASCAR event
August 07, 2007 10:36PM
I got invited to Pocono for the 500 last weekend so I though why not go and see what it was all about. I really have never seen a NASCAR race prior so I knew nothing but traveled with an open mind. Besides I have some family in PA that I had not seen in way too long.

We showed up about 2.5 prior to the race where we were greeted by a nice NASCAR hospitality guy who took us on a tour of the garages. Nothing hidden here, you could walk right up to the cars chat with the teams peek under the hood, take photos etc. It was here that I noticed a funny thing, every one was supper friendly and willing to talk about anything. It was very open and fan centered. From the garages we walked over to the pits where some of the cars had lined up and again very welcoming and fan centered team members abounded.

I was getting a little thirsty so I thought it was time to get up to to the sky box where we were treated to free food and drink in our air conditioned box with a nice view of the track. The racing got started and it was clear there was a lot of team work and plotting going on. Some good passing ensued along with some rather impressive pit work. In the end Kurt B someone had a clearly faster car then the rest so he stormed off to win after 200 laps.

I felt that I might not be getting the full NASCAR expriance up in my box so around lap 100 I got out into the grand stands to face the mass of humanity and sticky floors from the spilled beer. I was very loud! But the fans were friendly well meaning folks if not all that sufisticated. Very family orintated.

Back in my box I contempated it all. I learned that the cars are basically the same 1966 car they have been using for the last 41 years with new bodies put over them, I also learned the fords, dodges, chevys and toyotas are all the same body with different stickers. After I asked more questions I learned how the teams are very limited to ensure close racing.

I came away from it all thinking that it was a very well run few hrs of entertainment. NASCAR clearly understands that in their world it is the fans that are number 1, not the teams, the drivers, the makes etc but the fans. It was a marketing exercise and a way for a family to spend some time together for not a lot of money.

Sure as hell beat the last F1 race I attended.

In the long run reality always wins.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

Re: I had fun at a NASCAR event
August 24, 2007 10:20AM
Hey Derek,

You need to come with me to Martinsville or Darlington, and we can get some of the lower cheap seats on the backstretch. Get blasted by the roar and rubber bits from the cars in front, and pelted by chicken boones from the rear. Good racing!

Regards,
Mark B.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login