Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

Tall Pines "also ran" or "had more fun then anyone!"
December 02, 2013 10:01PM
The long story…

The Justy LIVES!!!!!!!!!!

The week leading up was pretty hectic to get ready, not just the car, but life as well. I’m a stay-at-home-dad, and my partner couldn’t take time off Friday for me to leave for recce or shake-down. No worries, I’ll just leave when she gets home.

Except, I never have anything ready ahead of time, and Thursday night (after finishing up the car at 3:30 am) I came down with the flu bad. Friday I could barely function let alone chase my nearly 2 yr old around the house. In the end the car wasn’t loaded to leave until 9:30-10:00 pm Friday night. I arrived in Maynooth (we love the Arlington ‘cause it’s $25 a night…) around 2:30 am, pretended to sleep for a few hours, got up, towed car to Bancroft.

Car was running pretty well, but a bit rich (10-11:1 at part to full throttle) earlier in the week. Jeff had brought leaner main jets and we planned to swap them that morning, but in the frigid cold it seemed to be running more around 12-13:1 ( I do love that wideband!) so I said screw it, we’ll leave it.

I also flat towed the beast from Montreal behind the Volvo so I didn’t have to rent/beg/borrow a truck and trailer smiling smiley But as we only had one pair of tires made within the decade, I didn’t tow it on them…

We got the car tech’d but the bone shaking cold at 6 am was killing the marginal battery, so by the time we sourced another battery, there was no time to change tires. We went into Parc Expose with seconds to spare, on old Hakka 10’s that were harder than shoe leather.

First transit saw the first real road travel the car has seen since the motor build. It pulled great, if nothing else sounded AWESOME. The throttles were a bit sticky, and sometimes it would hold up around 3000-4000 rpm, but otherwise response was great.

First stage was fun, funny, sketchy at best, my first real stage since 2005 (oh yeah and my first stage on snow ever!). The hard Hakka’s might as well have been hockey pucks. BUT MAN DID WE HAVE FUN! I had my first ever “off”, just no traction on the polished bits and went off mildly in a shallow ditch. I think Jeff thought we would be waiting for sweep. I shoved the beast into reverse, hopped out of the ditch, spun around and we were back on.

“We’re not winning races, keep it out the ditch!”
“Okay… we’re not winning races”

Rest of the stage went well. Car worked pretty good. John is right, we are on pretty much bone stock suspension, with “coilovers” and I swapped the fluid in the fronts to a mix of fork oil and 20-50 cause I read somewhere somebody did that once… winking smiley Backs are still stock, with stiffer springs. It’s too hard up front for the ice, but we were on crappy tires too, so nothing really mattered. We were having fun.

A2 started great, and on the less polished surface we were actually moving at a decent clip. About 4 min in the car just stopped. Dead. On a tight section, uphill, with no real room to pull over. Jeff got out put out a triangle (we’re thinking for Car 99…) , and came back. Within seconds, what might have been Crerar and Drake (not sure, was a white suby) came up. They must have gone off and I didn’t see them, or went off on A2 and got out after we passed. With Jeff back from the triangle we managed to push the car off to the side (Sorry anyway to whoever it was that came across us stuck in the middle of the road).

Some idiot engine builder either did not torque the cam gear bolts, or otherwise something strange happened. Two of the 3 bolts were awol, the gear was hanging by the third bolt half off, and the belt was off. I slammed the hood, mad, and told Jeff “we’re done” Thought for a sec, opened the hood, looked, thought, grabbed the tool bag, pulled two bolts from the rad support, and bolted the gear back on with them using a pair of vice grips. By hand I couldn’t spin the cam, so we pried the timing belt back on (no long socket to slack off the belt), I bumped the starter once. Pried the belt off again, set the cam timing. Put the car in gear, pushed until we set the bottom end timing. Pried the belt back on, started the car, finished the stage!

Because it’s the Justy, and I’m a pro rally car builder, I packed the welder… Worried as hell the cam gear bolts would back out again, at service we tacked them! STAY, STAY M-F-Kr, STAY! Oh and switched to our “good” snows (used Walmart Nexen WINGUARDS!) made within the last decade, but still old.

Back out we went. Second time through on Old Hastings on the classy tires was way better, but I still took it pretty easy.

Then things started to go a bit awry. It was warming up, and now we were back to running really rich, and the throttle response was terrible, but drivable. I just kept it pretty steady, slow, sliding anyway, and we had fun. Then came the spectator part of the stage… The Justy seems to draw some weird spectator support, and I like to honk the horn, and put my foot the floor… we climbed up the hill a pretty good clip, and ditch hooked the last left hand corner before the finish. The car came out of the ditch and I didn’t let off. But then realized we would go wide and were closing on the finish control, the little gopro camera, oh yeah and the marshals and photogs.

I lifted and not much happened. So I mashed the pedal, and turned the wheel… and yep, went into the opposite (left ) ditch, on the other side of the finish! Tall Pines - “winter roads, summer ditches”. We went off on a downhill at a good clip into a wide open ditch and I thought “I’ll drive it out”, turned the wheel, slid sideways, hit something very big buried in the snow, and stopped. I tried to climb out of the ditch, but it wouldn’t quite come out. Shortly, Hartl and Storry came along and gave us a quick tug (Thanks guys!).

Up on the road the most horrific sound from the back drivers side… Rear control arm looked like a noodle. I grabbed toolbag and the BFH and started wailing on it, but soon Sylvain (in car 99) came up and gave the disapproving look a father would give a son, and said “I think your rally is finished, can I have your card?” I argued for a moment that I could turn a pretzel into a ruler with my bare hands but he didn’t buy it. Jeff handed him the card behind my back with a wink and a smile, and I went back to hitting the car.

We did drive the car off the stage, and back through Bancoft. We took a ratchet strap, hooked the rear wheel to the front, and turned the front wheel while hammering on the control arm (gotta love mechanical advantage). We got the tire off the body, but still about 15-20 degrees of toe out, and 10-15 degrees of positive camber. It drove AWESOME. Jeff pulled the plug on the stoopididy, and we got a trailer 10 k from service.

We put up a mild petition to let us run again if we could fix it, and there was lots of support, however we were turned down. I chatted with several CARS, and Pines folks later, and we are being encouraged to write to CARS to express how in the sake of allowing competitors stage mileage, if you can fix it, why not get to run again!
Everybody was super nice about it, just “those are the current rules” “probably should be changed”

So our rally was done. There is some minor body damage I think, the hit moved the subframe mounts a bit, because the other side has negative camber that was not there before winking smiley and certainly there is some wrinkling in the rusty ( I mean, um, thin,) metal in the wheel well (pics to follow, I didn’t take any yet)

I think with a ½ hour in service we could have been back in the rally, but dem’s da breaks, and we had a FANTASTIC time for what short time it was. We were last or nearly last on each stage, but I didn’t care, the Justy rides again!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Tall Pines "also ran" or "had more fun then anyone!"
December 02, 2013 10:17PM
Coolio to say the elast.
Now lets make some better boingers and links.
We all fuck up. You shouldn't have to pay such a penalty---especially as big as a Duf Nuff (Isn't how you pronounce DNF?). Stronger and quicker to swap.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 02, 2013 11:35PM
Mad Matt F
We put up a mild petition to let us run again if we could fix it, and there was lots of support, however we were turned down. I chatted with several CARS, and Pines folks later, and we are being encouraged to write to CARS to express how in the sake of allowing competitors stage mileage, if you can fix it, why not get to run again!
Everybody was super nice about it, just “those are the current rules” “probably should be changed”

Yes, I don't expect they would change their mind on that one. This topic was hashed out in the US around 2002-2004ish. Thinking about it... if they've seen it south of the border for 10 years and still don't allow it, they have some OTHER reason (not insurance) for the lack of change. That's my opinion.

Awesome adventure otherwise and congrats!

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 03, 2013 12:13AM
Anders... why 'not insurance?' (I've been told it is absolutely an insurance concern)

The insurance lanscapes are different on the two sides of the border. As an example we can't even start to entertain bikes or quads at our events because we can't get insurance for them. (To be fair, that is because ASN Canada FIA won't get coverage and we're bound to using their blanket policy)

Also you probably aren't aware that the largest single property damage claim for a CARS event came as a result of a car being allowed to re-enter after DNFing.

CARS has been looking at a restart rule, but like anything done with an eye to democracy and general approval, it's taking forever. Easy for multiple day events, not as easy for one day events.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

December 03, 2013 08:47AM
Matt,

Congrats for getting back out there, that is a feat it itself and it's far too easy to just give up.

I felt for you guys while watching you drive back with one wheel at 20 degreees to the direction of travel!

Hope to see you out there again.

Chris
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 03, 2013 09:07AM
Morison
Anders... why 'not insurance?' (I've been told it is absolutely an insurance concern)

The insurance lanscapes are different on the two sides of the border.

I can issue you an insurance certificate for a rally in Canada within 72 hours.

You want to run a rally in Canada with restarts, with quads, with RallySolo, with motorcycles.... you can do it this weekend.

Anders

Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 03, 2013 09:15AM
Except that a CARS sanctioned event must use the insurance provided by ASN Canada FIA. To suggest otherwise is beyond optimistic.

Matt, it was great to see you get the car out there an I was truly saddened when I saw the tweet that you were out. PN's just around the corner!

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 03, 2013 09:34AM
Morison
Except that a CARS sanctioned event must use the insurance provided by ASN Canada FIA. To suggest otherwise is beyond optimistic.

Well, there you have it: it's a CARS/ASN Canada policy issue. It's not an insurance problem. Insurance is available. If I can get it, they can get it. If they can't get it, I can give it to them, which means, roundabout, that they can get it.

My opinion is that the Canadians have a higher regard for something that maybe I would call "the spirit of the purity of competition". Allowing restarts would place something else (whether it's fun, value for dollar, value of seat time for racers, I don't know, it might be all, might be something else, it's whatever the reason is for desiring restarts) at a higher priority than "the spirit of the purity of competition". So the Canadians stick to their priorities and don't allow it, in my opinion.

And if that's what the Canadians are doing, that's fine. If I were them, I'd stand up and shout that from the rooftops. smiling smiley

But with insurance available right now you can't pass the buck to insurance. In my opinion, that leaves desiring something else more than desiring the ability to restart.

Anders

ps: This post is largely opinion.
pps: In my opinion.
ppps: I can get you insurance if you want it. winking smiley
pppps: I know you would rather jump into a sub-zero lake. winking smiley winking smiley

Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

December 03, 2013 10:54AM
Chris,

I think major congrats are in order to you!!!! First overall!!!!! Nice Job! I heard you guys were cooking.

I think the restart was a mutlitude of issues, and we were not the only ones asking. The organizers struggled with it I know.

We were told if it did happen the car would have to be re-tech'd. makes sense, sounds like insurance issue.

We wouldn't get points (duh) Sounds like competition issue.

I see both sides of the fence, and was dissapointed, but certianly understood. Probably too tired to fix the car at that point anyway winking smiley

Keith, I looked around for you (once we were out), but must have missed you (not sure if we'vemet in person!). My parents came to spectate, and took us out for dinner after we got cleaned up. By the banquet time I was cooked, and just wanted a bed. Kinda wanted to go see everyone, but next time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 11:03AM by Mad Matt F.
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

December 03, 2013 11:34AM
It's a shame we missed you at the Arlington Matt tongue sticking out smiley We were there in the 6 person bunk room.

I'll definitely write to Chris M. (huge congratulations by the way!) about restarts. Being on the receiving end of a DNF and having the ability to restart this weekend, I really wanted to help Chris S. get back out there and get some more stages in. We were pretty much in the same boat, we went off on Upper Hastings SS3 on damn Losier's corner, glanced a tree on the front left and got stuck on a huge rock. It took a while to get it off and bend the fender back away from the tire and I had to surrender the card. We drove the car back to service perfectly fine, body damage only.

I'll probably voice the opinion that we should be allowed to restart, and run the stages and still be counted as a DNF in the very least. I see very little reason why we shouldn't at least be allowed to run the stages. For the novices that want the seat time, why not? For all the "what if"s, i.e. catching a car on stage, tugging a car out where they may not have been before, those all could have happened anyways. Put them in the back or at least close to where they should be. Superrally would be best, but let's recognize that seat time is important and we spend a ton of time and money to make it to these events. If we can get more out of it, we should.

Plus, the spectators come out in the bloody cold and only get to see 13 cars by the end of the day? It would be beneficial for them as well to see as many cars as they can.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 03, 2013 12:19PM
Boys, it's simple inertia. The rest of the palaver is normal "Party Line".

"You can't re-start because we never let people re-start before"..

One person with big claim could happen any time--neither here nor there.. We had hold out old crusty geezer organisers down here too. Most of the resistance was from people that were around SCCA forever---more bureaucrats than rally people, more authoritarians than humans..

Write your Competitor Rep, he's actually a competitor and I hear he's a nice guy--and stayed on the road...and won...wish I could brag that he's still using my Suspenders! (at least I can say he was on JVAB Sooper Bitchin Suspenders when he was first breaking into the top in Canada)
Congratulations...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 03, 2013 12:38PM
Mad Matt F
Keith, I looked around for you (once we were out), but must have missed you (not sure if we've met in person!).
I don't think we've met and I had definitely planned to say hi but relatively last minute day job and other issues meant I was unable to make it to the event. That makes Pines the only CRC event I didn't get to this year.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I support allowing restarts if the team is still competing. In fact I've written several rules proposals to allow it but have always hit a snag somewhere. I can tell you that organizers are rarely in a position to re-tech cars during the event and in a one-day event often folding the cars back into the pack at a meaningful time and place can be difficult.

John's right. Write Chris. But also write your regional director and write the President of CARS. That said, if you look at the November President's report on the CARS website you'll see:
CARS President Report
20. Review CRC restarting rules after a DNF. Possibly introducing super rally concept.
(Admin Rules Committee – drafting proposals for board review prior to going out to rally community)

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 12:42PM by Morison.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 03, 2013 01:04PM
"Sooooooper rally" is a totally different kettle of fish...and it originated from pressure from teams to get their darling pay drivers out and seen--and it does allow somebody --so called heroes---to hit the reset button.....
Allowing a car to re-start for fun or miles is one thing but allowing a car that has missed stages to beat even the slowest car which did all the stages is another...
re-satrt and do the time-keeping and publish the times so the guy can bench-race and brag but no points.
And no "Starting points" like we had here in the past--and who knows, may still.Sam Bryan in 1996 had 20 points of "starting points" in 10 DNFs and beat other guys in the Final Season points who had won individual rounds---and done just their region one "national"..

Nothing should ever beat something.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

December 03, 2013 01:47PM
We won't make PN... I sent the car back to Parry Sound with Jeff. I really need to get some work done, and having a bent car in the garage would not be good right now... winking smiley

Alexei, I bumped into Chris in the hall on his way out Sat. night. We had a good forlorn ralliest chat, lementing our defeat. Jeff, my nephew, a buddy from school and I spent some time in the bar downstairs until the band hurt my ears (they were good, I just wasn't in the mood), and I went to bed. We pulled out pretty early Sun to get the car and get on the road.

John, we will talk for sure re suspension again. I am seriously tinkin' bout getting rid of the control arm and replacing with multi links. Would give better toe adjustment then current, plus a few extras would be spares for either side. Only issue is the spring perch is on the control arm. So might mean coil over, and then there may be a space issue. Not unsurmountable, and while not a perfect solution, when I built the car, the cage doesn't tie in right at the shock top, so towers are not out of the question. Hmmm Somebody wanna buy the Justy??? winking smiley

As for continuing... I actually thought for a moment "Pull the wheel, drive the transit, next stage, and following transit back to service, fix at service." If there wasn't a long paved transit, it would have been done winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 02:07PM by Mad Matt F.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 03, 2013 02:06PM
Mad Matt F
We won't make PN... I sent the car back to Parry Sound with Jeff. I really need to get some work done, and having a bent car in the garage would not be good right now... winking smiley

Alexei, I bumped into Chris in the hall on his way out Sat. night. We had a good forlorn ralliest chat, lementing our defeat. Spent some time in the bar downstairs until the band hurt my ears (they were good, I just wasn't in the mood), and I went to bed. We pulled out pretty early Sun to get the car and get on the road.

John, we will talk for sure re suspension again. I am seriously tinkin' bout getting rid of the control arm and replacing with multi links. Would give better toe adjustment then current, plus a few extras would be spares for either side. Only issue is the spring perch is on the control arm. So might mean coil over, and then there may be a space issue. Not unsurmountable, and while not a perfect solution, when I built the car, the cage doesn't tie in right at the shock top, so towers are not out of the question. Hmmm Somebody wanna buy the Justy??? winking smiley

As for continuing... I actually thought for a moment "Pull the wheel, drive the transit, next stage, and following transit back to service, fix at service." If there wasn't a long paved transit, it would have been done winking smiley

We'll talk. Talk about debt and why a Fiesta is the answer to all your dreams...it's only debt. It's not like its real money and you only have to pay it back if you really want to...

Ya know, if you pay your bills, that only encourages the bastards to send you more..
Stink about dat!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login