Posted by Mad Matt F 
frumby
Jason Hynd
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

Re: Tall Pines "also ran" or "had more fun then anyone!"
December 03, 2013 02:13PM
Super Rally is stupid. Fact. Everyone is entitiled to their opinion as long as it's the same as mine!

Allowing a safe car to continue after repairs is smart. They paid money to run the stages. They towed, they took time off work, they built the car etc. Competition is over if you miss a stage, but a safe car that has been entered in the event needs to be allowed to continue unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Not that anyone of the powers that be are listening right now.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danster
Haggis Muncher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

December 03, 2013 02:27PM
Go easy recommending the Fiesta. Last week after a few drinks I decided to go down that path and subscribed to the Fiesta magazine.....
I was expecting to garner all the latest info on titanium and carbon fibre shiz for this wonderful rallyracing car......
Can you imagine my dissatisfaction when the publication arrived on my doorstep, only to find out it was full of tits and ass? eye popping smiley That's right, none. tongue sticking out smiley

In other new from the frozen wastelands of Europe I was speaking to a guy today that repairs the previous generation Fiasco ST150s being used as circuit racing cars. They are already now toiling to source used parts at reasonable prices. Seems the emperor's new clothes may lose the sheen off their threads sooner rather than later.

Matt, what wideband do you use, does it allow you to record afr data during a few pulls through the gears?

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 02:37PM by danster.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

December 03, 2013 02:49PM
frumby
Super Rally is stupid. Fact. Everyone is entitiled to their opinion as long as it's the same as mine!

Allowing a safe car to continue after repairs is smart. They paid money to run the stages. They towed, they took time off work, they built the car etc. Competition is over if you miss a stage, but a safe car that has been entered in the event needs to be allowed to continue unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Yeah, at RWV this year; I missed a stage due to electrical issues, turned out my main battery ground disconnected and I only had a 16 gauge wire grounding the car.

Fixed it, told Anders he asked what the problem was and sent us on our way after a scheduled service. Rally still ended bad for us though.... stupid place gets me every year.

I'd be pissed if I towed all the way there to have something like that happen then not be allowed back in. Driving fast is more important that being scored, don't really care if it says DNF I just want to drive fast!.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 02:51PM by czwalga.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

December 03, 2013 03:43PM
danster

Matt, what wideband do you use, does it allow you to record afr data during a few pulls through the gears?

I picked up a used tech edge, one of the early ones. It has data logging capibilites, but I haven't bothered. Might if I get that "good" down the road. Right now I know I'm not so lean to blow it up and that makes me happy.
Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 03, 2013 03:46PM
czwalga
I'd be pissed if I towed all the way there to have something like that happen then not be allowed back in.
Pissed at the organizers for not accommodating a poorly prepared car or pissed at the person who missed something like that during prep or re-prep leading up to the event?

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 03, 2013 03:53PM
Why the blamestorming? Wouldn't you want a fellow rally racer to have a good time at a rally?

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 03, 2013 04:05PM
Anders Green
Why the blamestorming? Wouldn't you want a fellow rally racer to have a good time at a rally?
Just asking a question.

You have no idea how much I want to see a fellow rallyists (what is a rally racer anyway) have fun at events. I do everything I can to to help other teams have fun and do well.

Part of that is encouraging them to come to events properly prepared.

From an organizer's perspective, dealing with DNFs due to poor prep can lead to delays which can lead to cancelled stages for everyone. Where's the fun in that?

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

December 03, 2013 06:07PM
Sure they can Keith. Lots of things can delay stages. Usually not a car with a minor problem like that... don't you think most people want to show up well prepared? Sometimes about a million other things come up that might prevent one from noticing the battery cable was loose. Like when you work full time, are a father to a fleet of kids, are the sole mechanic on your rally heap etc. Other times Vermont Sportscar might miss something. Jeez.. The OP was about a guy who shunted and might have been able to replace suspension parts and run a few more stages (that he paid for).

I'll tell you who I'd be pissed at if I wasn't allowed to continue for either of those: The organizers and or the organization.

IMO the point of thread drift discussions like this is to debate real issues. To me this is a valid discussion point, as is Super Rally. There are rally organizers here, as well as individuals involved with making the rules etc. Perhaps one day we'll have even more.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

December 03, 2013 06:49PM
Morison
czwalga
I'd be pissed if I towed all the way there to have something like that happen then not be allowed back in.
Pissed at the organizers for not accommodating a poorly prepared car or pissed at the person who missed something like that during prep or re-prep leading up to the event?

Pissed at stupid CRS rules.

Stranded wire came out of the lug. If you want to call that poorly prepared fine; but it made it 3 years before it decided to do that. Shit happens, I just want more driving mileage.

If I pay my money, I expect to be able to drive. Something stupid like that happens we fix it after a regroup why not. You are looking at it from the wrong point of view. DNF people don't count... where I say I paid my money and I still should be accommodated; not to the level of the people still racing for their class, but still should be able to run the stages. This is low level rally, people need mileage.

All the excuses that could be used about that car could hold up the rest of the field can be said about any other car in the rally. For example lets say his car was just slightly less damaged, limped to service changed out the arm. Whats the difference?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 07:01PM by czwalga.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 03, 2013 06:53PM
Who said anything about poor prep?

Nobody here crying that their poor prep caused them to be barred from continuing...

Maybe "Good prep" now means "You should have showed up with a semi and some chase cars and 6-10 staff"?

Maybe the rules dis-allow good prep.

When I lived where there was snow on the ground for 4-5 months I prepped my vehicle right with some thing like this:

The rules do not allow people to prepare for rally on snow properly....so some people just slide off.

If people were allowed to use something like this:

They would be better prepared...and have more fun.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
HiTempguy
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

December 03, 2013 09:08PM
frumby
They paid money to run the stages. They towed, they took time off work, they built the car etc. Competition is over if you miss a stage, but a safe car that has been entered in the event needs to be allowed to continue unless there are extenuating circumstances.

There is sooooo much more to it than what you have stated. I think Keith has explained this very well, but to reiterate; dealing with a car that has max-lated and/or missed stages on a single day event takes an extraordinary amount of time relative to how much time the volunteers running the event have available to them.

Not only would they have to deal with what you are suggesting, but IN MY OPINION, they must ensure they do it RIGHT. Doing it right within the amount of time available to them just doesn't seem possible on a 12+ hour, one day event. I'm saying this only from the competitor/volunteer roles I have played, having experienced this at least a couple of times in my 40+ events I've raced at (and volunteered at a good 10+).

I think s00per rally (or restarting the event, whatever shenanigans you like to call it) on multiple day events is a good idea. Out west, if a national is multiple days, the days are usually turned into "regionals" with the longer of the two "regionals" being the official WCRC counted event and that allows the regional teams to essentially "restart" on the 2nd day.
Tom B
Tom B
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

December 04, 2013 12:36AM
Morison
czwalga

colossal douchebaggery...you have got to fucking be kidding me.

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

December 04, 2013 09:39AM
HiTempguy
frumby
They paid money to run the stages. They towed, they took time off work, they built the car etc. Competition is over if you miss a stage, but a safe car that has been entered in the event needs to be allowed to continue unless there are extenuating circumstances.

There is sooooo much more to it than what you have stated. I think Keith has explained this very well, but to reiterate; dealing with a car that has max-lated and/or missed stages on a single day event takes an extraordinary amount of time relative to how much time the volunteers running the event have available to them.

Not only would they have to deal with what you are suggesting, but IN MY OPINION, they must ensure they do it RIGHT. Doing it right within the amount of time available to them just doesn't seem possible on a 12+ hour, one day event. I'm saying this only from the competitor/volunteer roles I have played, having experienced this at least a couple of times in my 40+ events I've raced at (and volunteered at a good 10+).

I think s00per rally (or restarting the event, whatever shenanigans you like to call it) on multiple day events is a good idea. Out west, if a national is multiple days, the days are usually turned into "regionals" with the longer of the two "regionals" being the official WCRC counted event and that allows the regional teams to essentially "restart" on the 2nd day.

What extraordinary amount of time? What needs done right? Seriously interested.

A one day has a 1:45 mid day regroup/service . Car 123 got 2 flats on SS 1 and only had one spare onboard, didn't want to tear stuff up driving on a rim. Turns in card. On SS 4, right before service,Car 456 clubs a tree, minor engine fire smiling smiley, and bends the heck out of their rear suspension, but get to town before MPL.

No one "retechs" Car 456 or any car at service. Why would 123 need reteched? No cars have timecards at this point so giving 123 a time card isn't adding any time....
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

December 04, 2013 01:13PM
I had a similar "super-rally" thing happen to me at Ojibwe 2 years ago. The exhaust manifold cracked in half on stage 2. Instead of trying to continue and risk damaging the car due to fire, Mark and I decided it would be best to drive the car slowly to the service park, make the necessary repair, and ask the organizer to let us re-enter at the next service break. They agreed.

Sure, we could have tried to continue and drive the next 2 stages before service. Maybe our car would have caught fire and caused a huge delay in the rally. In the end, us re-entering the rally didn't cause the organizers to expend any more resources. We got a new time card at service just like all of the other competitors.

And what is up with these B.S. "well preped" comments from Keith. Shit happens sometimes that you would never think of checking beforehand.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

December 04, 2013 01:58PM
johnhuebbe
I had a similar "super-rally" thing happen to me at Ojibwe 2 years ago. The exhaust manifold cracked in half on stage 2. Instead of trying to continue and risk damaging the car due to fire, Mark and I decided it would be best to drive the car slowly to the service park, make the necessary repair, and ask the organizer to let us re-enter at the next service break. They agreed.

Sure, we could have tried to continue and drive the next 2 stages before service. Maybe our car would have caught fire and caused a huge delay in the rally. In the end, us re-entering the rally didn't cause the organizers to expend any more resources. We got a new time card at service just like all of the other competitors.

And what is up with these B.S. "well preped" comments from Keith. Shit happens sometimes that you would never think of checking beforehand.

Clearly if you would have done your due diligence during prep you would have had a x-ray machine looking for micro-cracks in the manifold before the race.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login