Posted by John Reed 
John Reed
John Reed
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

Tire advice, JVL?
December 10, 2013 12:32PM
Figured I would just post here, I know John has a lot of experience in this area and likes to type on here but others might as well. And this has very little to do with rally unless you count it being in dirt, and burning gasoline. And being ridiculously fun.

Planning to do a scramble with the dirt bike Jan 1, and last year I noticed many were running studs. I showed up with worn out knobbies since I was there for exercise more than finishing position, and spent a lot of time picking my bike up (think permafrost with a thin layer of clay slime on top). Exercise mission accomplished.

Anyway, laziness prevails this year and I am wondering about studded tires for the two wheeler. The ones you can buy look awesome, and expensive. Not sure I want to spend a bunch of money on something I won't use all that often. Recommendations on making my own? Pitfalls, where to buy screws, all that fun stuff.

Thanks in advance!!

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Tire advice, JVL?
December 10, 2013 01:26PM

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

December 10, 2013 02:56PM
I used those on my quad and they worked awesome. I didn't use tire liners but never had problems with flats or leaks. I tried it on a car once and I got about 3 miles out of them before they were all over the lake. Don't waste your time trying to use sheet metal screws, they aren't the same.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 10, 2013 06:56PM
Trellborgs. those are the shit!!

Those Ice Kutter screws are awesome also

Both will keep you upright a lot more. I was pretty successful in the snow, it has a lot to do with confidence in sliding the front tire, and line selection
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

December 10, 2013 09:29PM
My neighbor who:

a) has raced motocross/hare scrambe, and
b) owns a car tire shop/general repair garage

has a Kold Kutter sticker on his ATV, and it's not holding broken plastic together.

I'm guessing they don't completely suck, but I'll try to ask him soon.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
kwesley
Kevin Wesley
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1976 Dodge Dart Lite

December 11, 2013 05:54AM
DG_Rally
I used those on my quad and they worked awesome. I didn't use tire liners but never had problems with flats or leaks. I tried it on a car once and I got about 3 miles out of them before they were all over the lake. Don't waste your time trying to use sheet metal screws, they aren't the same.

What caused them to pull out of the car tires? I ordered some last winter to use on a car tire set and don't want to waste the time if they won't work.

How long was the set you tried?

Thanks,

Kevin Wesley
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

December 11, 2013 08:15AM
kwesley
What caused them to pull out of the car tires? I ordered some last winter to use on a car tire set and don't want to waste the time if they won't work.

How long was the set you tried?

I would think it had to do with friction, the tires had plenty of tread. I think they were 3/8" and it was on a mk3 jetta that I was driving in anger. Screw studs (without nuts) aren't allowed at the car ice events I've been to in MN, probably for that reason. If they were longer and I had applied some kind of glue that might have helped. I would use the style with nut backers if I was going to do it again with a car. It looks like kold kutters has those now, I don't think they were available back then.

Now I'm missing my 400ex. Its been damn cold here and with a foot of snow, the lakes are just asking to be torn up.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
yeroc40
Corey Voigt
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
CRF450R

December 11, 2013 10:32AM
Trelleborgs are the shit if you want to cough up the coin. For dirt only woods and scramble use plain old sheet metal screws will work fine. Kutters would be ruined within half a lap anyhow. Expect a good number of either to pull out unless you are using a liner and screws at least 1.25" long. Save the Kutters for Ice only.

Just found these which would probably work pretty well for woods and dirt, and better than plain sheet metal.
http://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-KK-150500-12/dp/B0060WPW8M

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 11:50AM by yeroc40.
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 11, 2013 10:41AM
About a decade ago a bunch of us were using sheet metal screws in winter tires for our winter autocross series. They were installed with a glue/sealant on each screw. They worked great and the grip was fantastic. Interestingly, the quality of tire being used had a big impact on the effectiveness of the screws. You still needed a quality winter tire to make the most of them. (there was no limit to the number of screws, most tires taking ~200 easily.)

What did happen is the screws would pull out, litter the course and eventually cars would be getting flats from picking up 'thrown' screws. Summer came, and the 'normal' users of the lot (a parking lot for the now defunct race track) were picking up screws in their tires on a regular basis. That's when the ban on screws came down.

Of course that's all cars, not bikes, but might transfer over somewhat.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 11, 2013 01:29PM
John have you tried a trials tire yet? they are amazing for medium-quick riders.
John Reed
John Reed
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

December 11, 2013 08:23PM
phlat65
John have you tried a trials tire yet? they are amazing for medium-quick riders.

I have not, but I see a lot of debate about them on the forums for riding up in the coast range in the winter, with many claiming they are the cats meow (and I see a lot of bikes using them too).

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
tmachnik
Tom Machnik
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW GTI

December 11, 2013 10:49PM
Everything you want to know about studded motorcycle tires here:

http://albertadualsport.ca/showthread.php?5166-Tell-us-what-type-are-you-studs-all-screwed-up-or-slippy-slide

Pay attention to mxcollector, he's a 50 y.o. ex motocross racing frog (frenchman smiling smiley), great guy to ride with, he's the guru you want to listen to. He flys by me on his 690 like I'm standing still, on any terrain.

You have to register for the site to view posts, but it's free....
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
December 12, 2013 11:27AM
John Reed
phlat65

I have not, but I see a lot of debate about them on the forums for riding up in the coast range in the winter, with many claiming they are the cats meow (and I see a lot of bikes using them too).

I run a rear trials tire on my TE310 from So Cal desert to Tanum single track....but they're no bueno in snow and mud. the tread gets packed and doesn't clear like a knobby does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 11:34AM by urr.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login