1 Ford Truck

FWD:

3 Fords
3 Hondas
1 Nissan
1 Mitsubishi
1 Dodge
1 Volkswagen

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: BMW Dominates 2WD Entries at SB
February 28, 2014 01:43PM
50 billion flies eat shit..confused smiley
What's your point?thumbs up smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

February 28, 2014 01:50PM
john vanlandingham

Looks like some folks ain't drinking that funny koolaid that you are selling. Bunch of dead flies.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2014 02:28PM
wvonkessler
john vanlandingham

Looks like some folks ain't drinking that funny koolaid that you are selling. Bunch of dead flies.

Oh I dunno ...............I saw a nice 240 winning just about every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in Group 2.. And only after he had some problems was a BMW doing the same.....

It's odd, for the first time in human history now anybody with the tiniest of effort can be fully informed of details of things going on in an area of interest with just a little clicky clacky...

So now there's no real excuse for having much broader horisons.....and knowing things further afield...

This "Beemer are the answer because i don't see any Volvos" is only even half valid if one expends a lot of effort to NOT know what's going on.....

And in a country with literally hundreds of entries in numerous events on a given weekend, for more than 15 years----almost 20---we KNOW for certain that BMWs have not made up 35-60% of the entire field...and we know the reasons...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

February 28, 2014 02:36PM
Frauds don't seem overrepresented. Now the Ovlovs I'll defer to, but even in that funny f country f championship you see a lot of kraut kars running.

john vanlandingham
wvonkessler
john vanlandingham

Oh I dunno ...............I saw a nice 240 winning just about every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in Group 2.. And only after he had some problems was a BMW doing the same.....

It's odd, for the first time in human history now anybody with the tiniest of effort can be fully informed of details of things going on in an area of interest with just a little clicky clacky...

So now there's no real excuse for having much broader horisons.....and knowing things further afield...

This "Beemer are the answer because i don't see any Volvos" is only even half valid if one expends a lot of effort to NOT know what's going on.....

And in a country with literally hundreds of entries in numerous events on a given weekend, for more than 15 years----almost 20---we KNOW for certain that BMWs have not made up 35-60% of the entire field...and we know the reasons...

DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

February 28, 2014 02:45PM
john vanlandingham

Give me some more seat time in the car and hopefully there will be a back and forth battle up front. 100AW was my second gravel rally. Driving on slippery surfaces...I'm pretty comfortable with that. Committing to the notes...holy sh!t that's scary still!

No doubt that Ian was wheeling that thing around very well! My goal for day two was to get down to within 10 seconds of him on each stage. Was super bummed to pass it sitting on the side of the road early Saturday.

Dave
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

February 28, 2014 04:09PM
john vanlandingham
Oh I dunno ...............I saw a nice 240 winning just about every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in Group 2.
Unless you ignore the arbitrary and artificial separation of national and regional competitors. (which is really nothing more than a tick of a box and stacks more cash for licenses and entry fees.)
In that case that 240 was - at its best - just under 5 seconds a mile off the pace of the fastest 2wd cars, which are really Group 2 cars.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

February 28, 2014 04:18PM
john vanlandingham

Oh I dunno ...............I saw a nice 240 winning just about every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in Group 2..

And as you've pointed out before yourself, competitors in NA are not at a level (or competing at the pointy end) that the vehicle makes the difference. So using a Volvo being in front a a BMW (one data points in an extremely limited group) hardly means anything.

Frank Sprongl took a basically bone stock production Aveo/Swift to a 3rd place podium nationally in Canada... don't see anyone "rallying" behind that single data point and for good reason.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2014 05:44PM
Ex-spurts have to sit on their lard asses and troll to take the shine off somebody's results...
You guys are pitiful..

Yeah yeah we know the competition is thinner than squirty shit, and the "sharp end" looks like a turd..

Indeed I tell guys who ask "which should I get a Xratty or a 240?"
I say the Xratty is a better car, more than a generation and a half later design, better steering, forged pistons stock, IRS.....but none of us here are good enough that the difference would ever be measurable or decisive...so whatever you stumble across .. The one thing with a Volvo is if you are lucky when you bang up something you have a fair chance of getting the right color replacement hood or door at the "rally spare parts storage depots" referred to by cynics as 'wrecking yards"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2014 05:47PM
DaveK
john vanlandingham

Give me some more seat time in the car and hopefully there will be a back and forth battle up front. 100AW was my second gravel rally. Driving on slippery surfaces...I'm pretty comfortable with that. Committing to the notes...holy sh!t that's scary still!

No doubt that Ian was wheeling that thing around very well! My goal for day two was to get down to within 10 seconds of him on each stage. Was super bummed to pass it sitting on the side of the road early Saturday.

Dave

Well I wonder how Ian would do if he sat in the car between events..Pretty hard to do when he's out in the middle of the ocean...

Do you know what happened to him?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

February 28, 2014 05:56PM
john vanlandingham
Well I wonder how Ian would do if he sat in the car between events..Pretty hard to do when he's out in the middle of the ocean...

Ocean, 6x6' cubicle and taking public transportation to work...same difference. I think anyone running up at the front end of the regional field knows how to drive reasonably well, but commitment to notes and not being worried about writing off a car is what probably accounts for more time savings on the road than BMW/Merkur/Volvo choice. What do I know though, I'm just a stupid newb. smileys with beer

john vanlandingham
Do you know what happened to him?

He put some engine internals on display at the service park. Not sure if water crossing induced or not, but there was a very large hole in the block. Said he got ~4 years out of the engine other than the odd head gasket or head refresh. Muttered something about one of those spinny mufflers when it gets rebuilt. I'm excited for that, because when the compact goes back on the road it's going to have a 3.2L, so the more peeps in Group5 the better!

Dave
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

February 28, 2014 06:03PM
wvonkessler
Obviously the 2wd platform of choice.

RWD:

5 BMWS
1 Porsche
1 Datsun
1 Toyota
1 Mitsubishi Truck
1 Ford Truck

FWD:

3 Fords
3 Hondas
1 Nissan
1 Mitsubishi
1 Dodge
1 Volkswagen

Who was driving what, and what experience did they have?

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 28, 2014 06:17PM
The real question is, "How many OL Imprezas?"
I've been touting the BMW horn for years. Of the ~10 or so rally cages I have done, one was a BMW, one was an Integra, and the rest have been Subarus. Even with the "this is the best option" it doesn't seem to spark local people's interest.

Grant Hughes
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

February 28, 2014 06:40PM
i'm glad to see 20 2wd cars out there!

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

February 28, 2014 07:23PM
Subies outnumber everything else by a mile - 19, but only 1 or 2 of the OL type since this is a NASA event. Three Evos, driven by smart Irishmen. Constantine Manatoupolous in a an Audi 4000Q.

And a bunch more BMWs and some Honduhs in the bike classes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 07:27PM by wvonkessler.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login