Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: BMW Dominates 2WD Entries at SB
February 28, 2014 08:10PM
john vanlandingham
Ex-spurts have to sit on their lard asses and troll to take the shine off somebody's results...
You guys are pitiful.
Pitiful is the way you selectively see things.
Had someone talked about Evan Cline 'winning' every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in his SP car you'd have been all over that calling bullshit. (rightfully so)

Ian did what he needed to do to win Gr2 regionally on day 1. Congrats, I certainly didn't mean to diminish that. .8 sec/mile faster than the closest regional G2 competition and beating a trio of Open Light Subarus. Nothing to sneeze at.

But... pretending the 240 was the fastest Gr2 car out on the stages is beyond disingenuous.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2014 08:54PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
Ex-spurts have to sit on their lard asses and troll to take the shine off somebody's results...
You guys are pitiful.
Pitiful is the way you selectively see things.
Had someone talked about Evan Cline 'winning' every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in his SP car you'd have been all over that calling bullshit. (rightfully so)

Ian did what he needed to do to win Gr2 regionally on day 1. Congrats, I certainly didn't mean to diminish that. .8 sec/mile faster than the closest regional G2 competition and beating a trio of Open Light Subarus. Nothing to sneeze at.

But... pretending the 240 was the fastest Gr2 car out on the stages is beyond disingenuous.

Pitiful is your trolling...
I don't "pretend" anything and you're ruining the thread as you have done so many times...

I say TO THOSE I SPEAK WITH----people interested in having as much fun as they can driving on limited resources -----that it IS an excellent sturdy car and can be built to a good fun spec and competitive to whatever degree THEY CAN drive it...but the car is not going to be some dead-end I can keep it because there's no nothing for goodies that they can afford...
And it can be done to a high spec for less money...of course if you made parts or built cars you might know that. but you don't, so you dont.

Don't be "disingenuous"eye rolling smiley yourself and attempt to say I say anything else to them.. I don't want to hear your bullshit and nobody else does either... Your parsing every word--no matter how uninportant, no matter if not directed at you or to others , no matter if you don't understand simple gawddam stuff because you are a putz consumer and "official", and your trolling has driven many off from here, which seems to be your intent...

Why don't you try responding to me when I address you? I try my best to ignore you since to me, and to those who want to build cars you have nothing, nada, nienta, zilch, zip, nothing to say.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

February 28, 2014 09:12PM
There needs to be a "u need to hug" emoticon on this site grinning smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 01, 2014 11:05AM
Clayto
There needs to be a "u need to hug" emoticon on this site grinning smiley

Less hugs more drugs.

Wilson posted this to poke at John, which makes lots of this okay. Anyhow, I'm heading up to the shop today to work on the skidplate design for E36 BMWs. Are they the best car for rallying ever? Nope. Are they a pretty good choice right now? Absolutely. I've seen two Merkurs in my local junkyards in past ten years. There are five E36 and seven Volvo 240s right now there. The Volvo is the better option for a rally car it's mostly an image issue and that they are fairly anemic on a test drive.

Grant Hughes
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 01, 2014 02:14PM
John, you are so focused on demonizing me that you really do not see what's actually around you.

I've always thought Volvos were a good platform for rally.

I fully 'get' the benefits of choosing a Volvo for rally, including the ability for someone with fab skills to replace just about everything but the shell and the engine block and make the car work really REALLY well.

I regularly tell people they should start in the sport with a 2wd car and that RWD cars are much more bulletproof that FWD cars. (Although RWD cars are tougher to drive quickly for a generation that has - for the most part - been raised with FWD daily drivers. RWD does, however, teach you to think well ahead of the car... a valuable lesson regardless of what you're driving.)

I never commented about what you say to others, I was only commenting about what you've said in this thread. Please share with the class how you can possibly defend "I saw a nice 240 winning just about every stage first day at 100 Acre Woods in Group 2" as being anything but purposefully misleading.

Also, I don't wish to drive people away from the forum - in fact I regularly send people here to check it out. (With the same caveat all online forums get)

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

March 03, 2014 09:46AM
wvonkessler
Obviously the 2wd platform of choice.

FWD:

3 Fords
3 Hondas
1 Nissan
1 Mitsubishi
1 Dodge
1 Volkswagen

2 Subarus

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

March 03, 2014 10:46AM
Crazy BMW driver here smiling smiley

We were thrilled to see 5 BMW's up on the list too love this post lol we had a lucky successful run and the codriver was flawless (Elliot Sherwood)

For the record.

E36 is a flawless rally chassis with a little reinforcements and the right rally bits.

We'll in our opinion anyway smiling smiley

MB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 12:21PM by brakim.
simoniac
Simon Wright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

March 03, 2014 04:46PM
I'm not going to do the work 'cos I'm not feeling too well. But surely the finishing positions of the given brands are far more telling than the number of entries.

wvonkessler

RWD:

5 BMWS
1 Porsche
1 Datsun
1 Toyota
1 Mitsubishi Truck
1 Ford Truck

FWD:

3 Fords
3 Hondas
1 Nissan
1 Mitsubishi
1 Dodge
1 Volkswagen

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

March 03, 2014 04:56PM
simoniac
I'm not going to do the work 'cos I'm not feeling too well. But surely the finishing positions of the given brands are far more telling than the number of entries.

wvonkessler

RWD:

5 BMWS
1 Porsche
1 Datsun
1 Toyota
1 Mitsubishi Truck
1 Ford Truck

FWD:

3 Fords
3 Hondas
1 Nissan
1 Mitsubishi
1 Dodge
1 Volkswagen

Finishing position doesn't mean squat until you factor in the folks driving them. If you looked at 100AW you'd have to say the Ford R2 is the best car because it won (BMW won on roads at Sandblast), but suspect if you put the guy in that car in any number of the 2wd cars the result would be faster than whoever was actually driving the car.

Now...if 4 of the 5 other BMWs DNFd, that might tell you something about build quality...or it could just be people shaking the bugs out of a new build. I suspect just like any other platform, it's going to take time to see the cars have a good reliability record. Right now, I'm only aware of 3 properly done rally BMWs in the country (Hintz, Nelson, & Brandenburg).

Dave
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

March 04, 2014 09:10AM
wvonkessler

Wilson is correct in his statement: BMW was the 2WD platform of choice. More people chose it.

You want to argue about which platform is "better", or "faster", or "preferred", that's a whole different animal.

Community and people matter more than technical anything. Would the VW Golf be worth rally at all if NO ONE ELSE rallied one? Think about it.

I'd rather see five BMW, or 10 BMWs, and a great community grow around them that loves those cars, then have one guy show up in the "correct" car (whatever that is) and walk around telling everyone how he's so glad he didn't build a BMW. winking smiley Because that BMW community (or any marque community) will get other people interested in following them. They swap parts, and ideas, and service. For the sport, a pack of 10 [brand x] cars is better than 10 different brand cars.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 04, 2014 09:21AM
Anders Green
wvonkessler

Wilson is correct in his statement: BMW was the 2WD platform of choice. More people chose it.

You want to argue about which platform is "better", or "faster", or "preferred", that's a whole different animal.

Community and people matter more than technical anything. Would the VW Golf be worth rally at all if NO ONE ELSE rallied one? Think about it.

I'd rather see five BMW, or 10 BMWs, and a great community grow around them that loves those cars, then have one guy show up in the "correct" car (whatever that is) and walk around telling everyone how he's so glad he didn't build a BMW. winking smiley Because that BMW community (or any marque community) will get other people interested in following them. They swap parts, and ideas, and service. For the sport, a pack of 10 [brand x] cars is better than 10 different brand cars.

Anders
Exactly, and its normally those "communities" that sustain a lot of them, either by product support, crew help, volunteer pool, spare parts sharing etc, and with that more people will get motivation to start as well.
Creech
Scott Creech
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

March 04, 2014 12:24PM
Anders Green
For the sport, a pack of 10 [brand x] cars is better than 10 different brand cars.

Anders

What about two (2) packs of four (4), a (1) pack of two (2), a six-pack of Dos Equis Ambar an' about a half-pack of smokes?

hot smiley

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 12:25PM by Creech.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 04, 2014 12:39PM
Anders Green
For the sport, a pack of 10 [brand x] cars is better than 10 different brand cars.

But for the sport isn't it better to have a pack of 10 cars that can afford to do more events because they didn't need to foolishly spend money on go-fast parts that were available for pennies on the dollar had they started with the economical shell to build on and grow with?

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

March 04, 2014 12:49PM
The answer is no.

Your question assumes that there's a universe where logic would prevail over foolishness. winking smiley If you had the group of people you imagine, that would choose the thriftiest transport available, they would also realize the great cost of competing AT ALL and quit immediately. winking smiley I'd rather have ten passionate fools than ten much more logical, stingy beancounters, driving a car they hate because "it's more practical economically". smiling smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Creech
Scott Creech
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

March 04, 2014 01:34PM
Anders Green
Your question assumes that there's a universe where logic would prevail over foolishness. winking smiley
Anders

And THAT is a universe I want no part of. No person ever (righteously!) accused me of having a stick up my arse; you can bet John's dusty Contingency-Fund cash on that!

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login