Posted by johnhuebbe 
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Re: RWD vs. AWD
March 10, 2014 08:31AM
For the record, Mark's driving, I'm codriving.

The car does really well on tight and twisty roads. (Perryville is actually a fast rally) It is Extremely easy to over-rotate with the throttle. I've only driven the car at RallyCross events and I inevitably spin it almost every run. But, the car is a dream to be in on tight roads. The Friday roads at this last year of Ojibwe were perfect.

Also, the Perryville event was not without it's "pucker" moments. The road surface at the Perryville rally is about the loosest gravel you've ever driven on. Here is video proof.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

March 10, 2014 09:09AM
MConte05

Now John, when are you going to post the side by side of Stage 6? thumbs up

Nope. thumbs up smiley I went back and watched that stage and was pretty pissed with how I drove it. Spun the car and just drove like crap. Half the corners I was timid and slow or too fast and over driving.

I later discovered a destroyed rear control arm bushing, which may have contributed to the freaky handling at times.

The car is fun in the tight twisty stages, but can be a real hand full on fast stages. The steering is 2 turns L-L, but if I ever get the car rotated far enough to take my hands off the wheel it's usually going to end in a spin.

http://www.huebberally.com
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

March 10, 2014 09:54AM
What can I say. I got into your head. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
si
John Farnsworth
Super Moderator

si
March 10, 2014 01:29PM
Spin+dust = ugh, how were you able to keep track of direction during the dust storm on spin #2? From the video, completely lost track of which way you were facing, but you were still steering it towards the correct direction.

That surface is interesting for sure, took us 4 stages to figure out how to make the car stay reasonably in control just on the straights. Felt like an air hockey puck on some of them.
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 10, 2014 01:34PM
si
Spin+dust = ugh, how were you able to keep track of direction during the dust storm on spin #2? From the video, completely lost track of which way you were facing, but you were still steering it towards the correct direction.

I'm good. It's not that hard to keep track of which way to go. smiling bouncing smiley

si
John Farnsworth
Super Moderator

si
March 10, 2014 02:25PM
markhuebbe
I'm good. It's not that hard to keep track of which way to go. smiling bouncing smiley

Guess when you can actually feel the rotation it's a bit easier (and probably still some amount of visibility vs the video). I can totally picture spinning while I'm staring at the book/computer and James going "are we facing the right way?" "Yeah sure, let's go" and off we go backwards.
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 10, 2014 02:30PM
I think you'd have to spin multiple times to get really disoriented. If in doubt, wait a minute for the next car.

jbass
James Bass
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

March 10, 2014 03:35PM
si
I can totally picture spinning while I'm staring at the book/computer and James going "are we facing the right way?" "Yeah sure, let's go" and off we go backwards.
I'm not that bad. ... ... drinking smiley ...although-
markhuebbe
I think you'd have to spin multiple times to get really disoriented. If in doubt, wait a minute for the next car.
I saw that very thing in some Youtube vidyo - dudes got totally discombobulated, and were like "Wait for the next guy and FOLLOW!".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login