Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Black River Stages--what's the Que Paso?

Posted by john vanlandingham 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

maybe it's me...
October 03, 2007 09:35PM
STPR was OK. I went expecting the "circus" and silly anal retentive rules, and reluctantly ate pancakes at midnight when what I wanted was greasy slices of pizza and some cold beer (well, I took care of that part later). The whole loss of stages, people whining about not fueling for the last stage under the presumption that it was canceled was annoying. I didn't KNOW the answer, so the cars I was with got their full complement of fuel. One of them happened to be LEADED race gas, but it didn't matter for that car (except for the disposable CAT on it).

I went there with low expectations for enjoyment. I think they could start an hour earlier, cut the lunch break in half, and we would have more time to maybe see a stage and contribute to the local economy (the Gaslight) Saturday evening.

New England Forest was a bigger disappointment. Maybe I was wound too tight, maybe I'm whining too much, but I felt like I just wasn't wanted there because I wasn't part of the SRT Circus. I had two incidents with officials that made me wonder if I was at STPR.

Friday at the Mexico Rec Park we had two vehicles, just in case we needed ice or something in town. We left a car out with the spectators for the first two stages and then moved it in closer to service later after they were gone. There are two choices of where to park, one is an area with a whole bunch of other cars fairly tightly parked and a lot of people walking around.

The other spot is where we're servicing -- in the back part of the Rec. area. Since there were only about 35 entries, not the historic 80 plus, we literally have an ACRE of land to ourselves. So, being the logical person that I am, I elect not to squeeze into a tight area and instead park nearby the service vehicle -- some 200 feet from anybody else.

Despite this, some official comes up to us and whines that we don't have the correct color parking pass on the car to park there. I explain that I could smoosh in over with the others and dodge people while trying to park, or I can cause great trauma upon the rally and park in the vast expanse of land we have here.

Nope, have to have the right color pass. Allegedly organizers' rules.

Well, turns out they gave us two of the correct color pass, so we swap it out and he makes sure it's not the one out of the service vehicle, and then leaves. Apparently the RV, 3 trucks, tents, video game stations and 26 rental cars that the other teams had weren't a problem, but one car 200 feet from anything else was. Go figure.

Incident 2:
My wife and baby son arrived Friday evening, so they tagged along for Saturday, same as she's done several times. We get to the service in Berlin and set up. Half the town is puttering around the service area looking for Travis, and my wife and son are under the E-Z Up tent with us while we wait for the first service. Since our baby son is there, it's pretty obvious that my wife's attention is directed at him, so she can't work on the car. Nonetheless, one of the technical staff comes up to us and asks if she's with the team. She answers that I'm crewing and she's my wife.

"Well, we can fine you $100 for not having a wristband!" Gee how considerate and pleasant. In the meantime, lots of locals are walking all over the place, making it an open service park. The official does have a waiver and wristbands (thankfully trying to provide a solution instead of a revenue stream for RA), so she signs in and gets banded, but the threatening tone and attitude still annoy me. Seems to me that if the public is all around, if you're not working on the car, you don't need a wristband. Maybe the person was having a bad day, but the confrontational tone was really off-putting.

Even if you do, it would be much more pleasant and polite to say, "Excuse me, could you do me a favor? If you're going to be in the service park, could you please sign the waiver and wear a wristband? You know how it is with insurance these days. Thanks!"

I understand that signing the form is important from a liability standpoint. Seems to me, every stage captain, every service park official, and all the stewards should have bands and waivers on hand at any and all times and make it EASY AND PLEASANT to sign in.

It was just such a change from years past, from when we've arrived late and worked controls without wristbands. I was just really disappointed that the rally with the motto "We always enjoy ourselves" wasn't particularly enjoyable for me this year. I've made it to every Maine Forest since winter 1997, and it's normally a highlight of the year.

I'm sure I'm getting all worked up over trivial things, but I never have these problems in Canada, and also usually get to see at least one stage while servicing (and have received VIP treatment when they see the service sticker on the car!).

And since this is now longer than Alice's Restaurant, I'll stop before I get banned from RA for life.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: maybe it's me...
October 03, 2007 09:47PM
Hey Randy, don't know how well you know Andrew, but he's a good friend, a friend I wish lived closer so i could help him with his build sheet like he and Mike White and whassis name crazy housemate drove down 70 mile SEVERAL times to help pack me up to move back where I belong when I was getting the fawk out of the Arm-pit of the East.

He's about the mellowest guy I know, maybe too mellow, but calm and if he says there was "a tone" I believe him. Such a shame.

(Just to say he ain't a whiner/sniveller)

Hey Andrew, maybe the doood was from the state just south of Nude Hampster, sounds like it.

I forget, what are the residents called??.......

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Phlyan Pan
Travis Sleight
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Moved on....wasn't much of a rally car anyway

Re: maybe it's me...
October 04, 2007 08:08AM
fiasco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Incident 2:
> My wife and baby son arrived Friday evening, so
> they tagged along for Saturday, same as she's done
> several times. We get to the service in Berlin
> and set up. Half the town is puttering around the
> service area looking for Travis, and my wife and
> son are under the E-Z Up tent with us while we
> wait for the first service. Since our baby son is
> there, it's pretty obvious that my wife's
> attention is directed at him, so she can't work on
> the car. Nonetheless, one of the technical staff
> comes up to us and asks if she's with the team.
> She answers that I'm crewing and she's my wife.
>
> "Well, we can fine you $100 for not having a
> wristband!" Gee how considerate and pleasant. In
> the meantime, lots of locals are walking all over
> the place, making it an open service park. The
> official does have a waiver and wristbands
> (thankfully trying to provide a solution instead
> of a revenue stream for RA), so she signs in and
> gets banded, but the threatening tone and attitude
> still annoy me.
>
>
> Andrew Steere, 1973
> Lyndeborough, NH
> KB1PJY

Did they make the baby sign in and get a wristband too? Sounds like they should have. And when the baby "refused" to sign the waiver they should have fined him too.

What a crock. Welcome to the show.

"Time to unpimp ze auuto."

sleightc (A.T.) Yahoo {DOT} com
randyzimmer
randy zimmer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
rallycross 13B Miata

Re: Black River Stages--what's the Que Paso?
October 04, 2007 02:33PM
Although I'm glad to hear STPR is getting better, it really is sad MFR is getting worse. Price of professionalism I guess. Like John Shirley once said, "I'd like to say OK but at some point the integrity of the event has to be protected".
Some people take this stuff seriously and at $!200, plus notes, plus 4 sets of tires a barrel of race gas, 1 or 2 turbos, a couple transmissions and 4 hotel rooms for 1/2 a week, it gets pretty serious.
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

Re: Black River Stages--what's the Que Paso?
October 04, 2007 11:38PM
BRS was great fun. I wrenched for Mark Ely, winner of the moto division. Really all I did was adjust his chain, check his tires, and add oil/fuel as required. The new Aprilia held up well. A little coaching about "pace" probably helped as well, but Mark is a pretty seasoned rider.

I'd go back. It reminded me of Magnum Opi of old as far as the atmosphere. Just good fun. No pretense. Drank myself silly with Irish and Russians who could do so competitively. smiling smiley

Thanks for a fun time, all.

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login