Posted by cmanreinhart 
cmanreinhart
Conner Reinhart
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 xr4ti

Building A RallyCross Course...
March 19, 2014 03:07PM
I recently spoke with my Uncle who has 20 acres +/- out near Howell Michigan. And asked him if I could build a decent size Rallycross course since he doesn't really use the land, in which he surprisingly said yes to. And a buddy of mine who's family owns there own construction business said I could barrow a skidster/bobcat to clear out some of the woods/brush. And I was just wondering what type of course layout/features should I use to best hone in my rally skills and if any one else in this area would like to rally the property with me... Since I am only 15 years old but I really want to get into rally, and scca does not let 15 teen year olds rallycross at least to my knowledge... And is even building my own course a good idea or am I just looking to get hurt while doing it??
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Building A RallyCross Course...
March 19, 2014 03:45PM
Wooded 20 acres or prairie? Wooded is a ton of work to cut a course.
Talk to your local SCCA. They may be willing to rent the area to run a rallycross and then they'd help design the course for you.
Pretty sure 14+ can run rallycross, but a parent has to be there for any under 18.
Welcome!

Grant Hughes
cmanreinhart
Conner Reinhart
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 xr4ti

March 19, 2014 04:03PM
Thanks for the info! Its about half woods and have prairie it has some old like snowmobile jumps that are about 10 feet wide by 4 feet tall so before I do anything I would have to level those out first.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 19, 2014 04:33PM
NoCoast
Pretty sure 14+ can run rallycross, but a parent has to be there for any under 18.

If I'm not mistaken, they changed that a few years back - when I started, as long as you had a license whose requirements could be met (ie. if your license/learner's permit requires an adult in the car, you better have brought an adult to go in the car with you), you were good to go.

However, "national" events don't allow passengers/co-drivers, so the obvious solution was to only allow drivers who could compete in a national event, to compete in any scca rallycross. eye rolling smiley

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 19, 2014 06:26PM
steel ramp gap jump!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 19, 2014 06:30PM
alkun
steel ramp gap jump!

With a tight corner both before and after! Brilliant! Why din't I stink of zat?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 06:31PM by john vanlandingham.
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

March 19, 2014 08:38PM
Detroit's always looking for new sites.

I think pretty much every region is looking for new sites, actually...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
cmanreinhart
Conner Reinhart
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 xr4ti

March 19, 2014 08:53PM
john vanlandingham
alkun
steel ramp gap jump!

Would I be able to to rallycross a dune buggie/sand rail or would that be illegal, plus i dont know the thickness of the rollcage/rollbar??

Thanks, Conner
RallyBrighton
Brad Hayosh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Jetta - 1998 Impreza STIish

March 19, 2014 09:04PM
cmanreinhart
john vanlandingham
alkun
steel ramp gap jump!

Would I be able to to rallycross a dune buggie/sand rail or would that be illegal, plus i dont know the thickness of the rollcage/rollbar??

Thanks, Conner

Buggy no bueno with the SCCA: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?39748

On another note - I'm right near Howell and my co-driver works at the Auto Zone in Howell. If you do get a course roughed out - I'd be interested in renting it out.
cmanreinhart
Conner Reinhart
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 xr4ti

March 19, 2014 09:31PM
Yeah, for sure you guys can come out, but it my be a little until I can make a course since i wanna wait to until all this snow is gone and the ground gets harder.

Thanks, Conner
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

March 25, 2014 03:54PM
I’ll try to help out the best way I can. I've been the Colorado RallyCross's Series Chairman for the past 2-1/2... or maybe it's been 3-1/2... seasons now. And with that being said... I'm a registered user on a forum posting on a none "official" SCCA thread, so nothing that I say here should be considered legally binding or affiliated towards SCCA in anyway...

For starters SCCA RallyCross only allows drivers who are 16+ that have a valid drivers license. I'd check with your local SCCA group to see if they might be interested in coming out and giving your Uncle a few bucks. Sites are always needed and good ones are hard to come by. However if you are just looking for someplace of your own then that's awesome, I and everyone else here wishes they could have started driving cars in open areas earlier.

As many others have said, open spaces are the best to start with. They should also have good hard dirt that's not too soft, otherwise it'll just rut up on you. Stay away from big dips, even if they don't seem to slope too much you'd be surprised as to what speed can do to suspension travel. Best way to see is if you pull your car up to the slope or facing down it. If the distance between the bottom of your front bumper and the ground don't change it should be okay to give it a shot.

As for course design take a look at other pictures and videos that are out there and see what your local area has been up to. For it to be close to a SCCA type event speeds cannot exceed 65 MPH, so that's where most of the tight corners, slaloms and other slowing corners come into play. Plus without fun corners what's the point, you might as well just go to drag racing or circle tracks. You should start with tighter corners until you’ve gotten used to how your car handles and then work your way up to larger ones. Then throw in large open ones which goes into tighter stuff. This will help you 1st learn how to control your car, then learn to control it at higher rates of speed followed by controlling it with high rates of speed that then quickly lessen.

Now, I’m sure you’re still wondering “well where do I start?” Trust me, people somehow think that before I show up onsite at every event that I have it all worked out already… to be honest, I don’t. The reason being is that a site can easily change from one weekend to the next thanks to ruts. So just get in your car, drive around aimlessly until you’ve started to get a feel for something that’ll be fun.

Sorry for the rambling, and enjoy your new found space and stay off of drugs that aren’t Rally… this crap is like heroin.

R.Sealey
http://www.facebook.com/SealeySport
http://www.youtube.com/ryolse
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

March 25, 2014 04:17PM
Drivers with learners permits are allowed ....2014 rule change..

"Allow drivers with learner’s permits to compete in rallycross events with an approved passenger. Previously, only licensed drivers were allowed to compete. Section 5.2.B."

http://www.scca.com/rallycross/news.cfm?cid=51738

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login