Advanced

center diff in Open cars?

Posted by Iowa999 
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

Re: center diff in Open cars?
April 02, 2014 08:28PM
I'm sorry, but I have a 13-year-old daughter. There is nothing that you or anyone else can teach me about cynical assholes.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Fclevelandwrx
Foard Cleveland
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 ZX3

April 02, 2014 08:30PM
Iowa999
I'm sorry, but I have a 13-year-old daughter. There is nothing that you or anyone else can teach me about cynical assholes.

Thank you good sir.

Foard Cleveland
Blue Branch Rally Team
http://www.performancefriction.com
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

April 02, 2014 09:42PM
You could build one, the parts are off the shelf. I bet it is not too cheap though...
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

April 02, 2014 10:11PM
Iowa999
If you don't know which type of Sadev is in the VTSC cars, that's cool, but insulting us for not knowing which that you're talking about comes across (to me, at least) as a sign that you might not actually know the answer. It's a simple question: do they have a Sadev with a diff and a cut-off or do they have a Sadev with a spool and a cut-off?...

I already told you what Vermont is using. A Sadev with the spool/clutch setup.

I've spoken to the US Sadev rep about it. Spoke to him and Vermont at GRC about it, where Vermont agreed to share setup info with us about the drivetrain, and again with the Sadev rep at PRI where he brought the box and parts so we could look at it (letting the client touch the parts gets sales). The main box including the bellhousing, center coupling and front diff, shifter, some minor electronics, rear diff, driveshaft and four axles run 45k Euro. We were considering it for the Pikes Peak car this year, but went a different direction.

Jason McDaniel
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Super Moderator

April 02, 2014 10:34PM
So, you did. Way back at the beginning (when this thread should have ended). Thanks and apologies.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 03, 2014 01:00AM
phlat65
The flyoff is a hydraulically actuated de-coupler inline in the rear driveshaft, actuated by a 2nd master cylinder on the handbrake lever. There is a balance bar between the rear brake and flyoff so you can adjust the action of the disconnect.

Hmm later when I get a hold of a couple of 25 hour days in a row I might have to figger out if a simple hydraulic system could be fitted to the audi locking center diff....
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

April 03, 2014 09:55AM
My John deer lawn mower has a eleictric clutch type that engages my mower deck. Maybe I can configure this into my trans and hand brake and sell it for 50K!

Joking Sadev looks nice wish I was the money guy in the ins comercial!

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

April 03, 2014 01:53PM
Iowa999
So, you did. Way back at the beginning (when this thread should have ended). Thanks and apologies.

zerodegreec
Oh look, waffles....
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
see you on the stages

April 03, 2014 05:42PM
+1 John

Intercom and electronics dude. www.zerodegreec.ca
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

April 04, 2014 09:44AM
I have had the Sadev apart, they are very well built, and super burly. The Dodge clutch drop launched at full power, like 650ft lbs The only issues we had were a bad run of axle parts exploded in Germany.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

April 05, 2014 10:50AM
modernbeat
Iowa999
If you don't know which type of Sadev is in the VTSC cars, that's cool, but insulting us for not knowing which that you're talking about comes across (to me, at least) as a sign that you might not actually know the answer. It's a simple question: do they have a Sadev with a diff and a cut-off or do they have a Sadev with a spool and a cut-off?...

I already told you what Vermont is using. A Sadev with the spool/clutch setup.

I've spoken to the US Sadev rep about it. Spoke to him and Vermont at GRC about it, where Vermont agreed to share setup info with us about the drivetrain, and again with the Sadev rep at PRI where he brought the box and parts so we could look at it (letting the client touch the parts gets sales). The main box including the bellhousing, center coupling and front diff, shifter, some minor electronics, rear diff, driveshaft and four axles run 45k Euro. We were considering it for the Pikes Peak car this year, but went a different direction.

Talking GRC set-ups or Rally America set-ups?

I believe GRC rules state no electronic center diffs allowed? Just mechanical with handbrake "fly-off"?

Chris
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

April 05, 2014 11:12AM
Higgins said in an interview that his rally car had a locked center diff. VSC is always looking for speed. My guess is as much as the cars are apart at VSC they have tested both. In the end its probably driver preferance. I would guess sno drift would have had some sort of diff controller.

Im running stock dccd as of now. Was thinking maybe just wiring the diff to the hand brake switch so its locked all the time accept when hand braking. Every time I restart the car I have to remember to reset the dccd to manual or its in auto all the time. Ive seen cheap versions with a little wheel for $150 seems a lot if your just locking the diff.

So for the who cares version of what the wrc guys run. Im thinking in my reality that I dont need the $1800 controller if the fastest cars out there dont run it. So for me with a 6 speed its locked un less I pull the hand brake. Or am I missing something in my cheap diff set up?

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
zerodegreec
Oh look, waffles....
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
see you on the stages

April 05, 2014 11:40PM
Having a "Locked" diff could be very bad if you mean 100% locked. You will most definitely burn the clutch packs out. Vermont very well could run a "Locked" center, but it could be just set for a fixed pressure and not 100% Locked. 100% locked is ok for "Ditch" extraction.

It takes allot of time (money) to setup an active center properly from scratch. WRC teams spent millions on testing and development of the maps. So getting a $1500+ Motec (for example) controller is a colossal waste of money if you will not spend the hundreds of hours, on different surfaces to fine tune and build effective slip tables. Add to the fact that you have to have all of the wheel speed sensors, steering angle, TP, Brake pressure and G-sensors setup and logged properly (just to get a basic start). IF you spent the time and know what your doing, an Active center is at least good for a couple seconds a KM in time. But as amateurs that is just not going to happen. If your driving a Subaru you can call up Rocket and pay to have Pats diff control setup. For a Mitsu, maybe RKT has complete package programming that can be bought? I would say the programming is worth at least the cost of the controller if not exponentially more.

Intercom and electronics dude. www.zerodegreec.ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 11:45PM by zerodegreec.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 06, 2014 08:42AM
zerodegreec
If your driving a Subaru you can call up Rocket and pay to have Pats diff control setup.

There was this great off season where like 3-4 Subaru guys that were all competing against each other all did just that. And if I recall you pay for the computer AND then you pay for the maps. I think it was 2500 and 1500 respectively. That is the Beauty of AWD.

Grant Hughes
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

April 06, 2014 10:12AM
I've got some motec diff maps from a vermont customer car circa 2008ish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login