Posted by Fclevelandwrx 
Fclevelandwrx
Foard Cleveland
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 ZX3

Jvab vs the world
April 03, 2014 06:40PM
I understand that these are cool, I actually bought some and I'm waiting for John to send them, but I wanted to know what everyone thought about them, also how should I run them on my car for gravel? Any comparison to other brands exc. hotbits seeing as the consensus is most suspension is better.

Foard Cleveland
Blue Branch Rally Team
http://www.performancefriction.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

Re: Jvab vs the world
April 04, 2014 08:25AM
Fclevelandwrx
how should I run them on my car for gravel?

Flat out. Don't putter.
Towona
Tony P
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

April 04, 2014 10:22AM
I have both JVABs and Hotbits. The J's are definitely more beefy, but the H's have more adjustability and can be made to be a lot less bone-jarring than the J's are. I use the J's for rough rallies and the H's for smoother/slippier ones.

FWIW, I did hit a 400lb boulder at speed, collapsing the front suspension and rolling the car. The JVABs were fine.

Runamuck Rally
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 04, 2014 12:00PM
Towona
I have both JVABs and Hotbits. The J's are definitely more beefy, but the H's have more adjustability and can be made to be a lot less bone-jarring than the J's are. I use the J's for rough rallies and the H's for smoother/slippier ones.

FWIW, I did hit a 400lb boulder at speed, collapsing the front suspension and rolling the car. The JVABs were fine.

Next time its time for service we can at no additional charge re-valve a little softer...It's always a hard call on both spring and damping choice.. Speed and rate of acceleration works at a kinda squared or cubed function.. Whacking something at 100 km/hr isn't twice the force of whacking the same thing at 50 km/hr, it's like a "metric shit-ton" more.......Over the years I have been backing down both spring and damper rates for most everybody unless they're winning or top 3 overall...
And seems people are happier.
Our local loon Tom Buress in his Golf has same stuff as you ad he says its "just about perfect" but Tom IS capable of doing top 5 overall with the Golf, but he's faster--and loonier..than the average bear.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Fclevelandwrx
Foard Cleveland
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 ZX3

April 04, 2014 07:15PM
How do they compare to other suspension types though? Also how much travel should I adjust them to?

Foard Cleveland
Blue Branch Rally Team
http://www.performancefriction.com
b00sted
David Barrett
Elite Moderator

April 06, 2014 05:02PM
Towona
can be made to be a lot less bone-jarring than the J's are.

Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

April 08, 2014 08:54AM
john vanlandingham
.. Speed and rate of acceleration works at a kinda squared or cubed function.. Whacking something at 100 km/hr isn't twice the force of whacking the same thing at 50 km/hr, it's like a "metric shit-ton" more.......
Its squared. It goes something like this KE ∝ 1/2 mv²
reillydog
Mike Reilly
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Ford Focus ZX3

April 15, 2014 09:40PM
Fclevelandwrx
Also how much travel should I adjust them to?
As much as possible... which considering it's a focus is probably only about 4 inches.... there's a joke in there somewhere. winking smiley

Seriously though.

We have 3 focuses in our garage.

Tyler runs Hotbits on his 2004 SVT and has had pretty good luck. Peter Reilly and team are good guys and I know Tyler has been very happy with them.

Erik Potts runs a 2001 ZX3 which had DMS when he bought it... which he broke a few times... (2 of this first 3 rallys) so he then bought a set of used Proflex from me. He has had very good luck with them (as did I).

I have a 2005 ZX3 and have run AST's in the past and am now running Proflex. The AST's we had some issues with initially, but we eventually got everything sorted out... by beefing them up in key areas.

We are now running a new Proflex set up (which we love) that were made 4 inches longer to give us more suspension travel. This required us to modify a bunch of other stuff (control arms etc.)

We now run front knuckles in the rear as we wanted to convert to a McPherson design to eliminate the issues we have had with rear suspension failure with the stock set up. The failures were not due to the coil overs but rather the manner in which they attach to the stock rear suspension.

I have talked to John and he obviously knows his shit! I have also heard great things from people who run his stuff. I think he provides ton of bang for the buck. If I were starting out I would go that direction vs the other stuff I have seen available in that price range.

As far as a more adjustable platform, based on my experience I would choose Proflex over the other things our team has tried.

my 2 cents...
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

April 15, 2014 10:38PM
Hmm...reillydog..name sounded familiar.....
Oh yeah..remembered you from a Focusfanatic link with these pics/videos posted:

Looks like your Focus moves quite well...obviously far from a bare bones build...

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login