Posted by john vanlandingham 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Fun place to go for fun in Toronto
March 01, 2006 10:10AM
I have a friend in Toronto who moved there a couple of years ago from China and she is wondering if therer are any fun places where a nice innocent woman can have some fun, and meet normal-ish friendly guys, so I don't need suggestions of "my garage" or "my special dungeon" from you all you pervs but someplace a bit more public and moderately moderate.

I think shes on the North/Centralish side and shes like 31 so she doesn't need suggestion where pimply 17 year old boys hang out pouting, but she's a student so not wallowing in piles of cash like all you rally boys are.

So where's a girl to go for, well you know what I mean, eh eh, nudge nudge---
say no more say NO MORE!!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

Re: Fun place to go for fun in Toronto
March 01, 2006 10:27AM
Is this Leslie?

Honestly, I hate most of the downtown scene, the crowd here is either underage (and not telling you) or cougars (and lying to you about their age).

Perhaps the Brass Rail?
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

March 01, 2006 10:32AM
Really though, could you expand upon the kind of 'fun' I should be trying to find? 31 is a confusing age for me...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2006 11:17AM
Hell Paddy I certainly don't know!!!
Yeah its Leslie. She's feeling lonely, which ain't surprising.
She's in a dorm now at Wassamatta U, and in her classes I guess she's meeting nobody except younger early 20s boys and they seem to be age-weenies.

Geeeeeze when _I_ was 31 it was drugs-sex-and cheap thrills after all those years since 17 of being serious and hard working.

What's a cougar?
What's "Brass Rail"?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Rich Smith
Rich Smith
Mega Moderator

March 01, 2006 12:05PM
John, remember,you don't know anything about wholesome fun so give her the approach but let her use her own imagination. Your imagination is ... well... your imagination speaks for itself (grin). But, tell her to stay OUT of bars unless she's wants to meet an alcohlic.

In any City in the world the best places to go for wholesome fun are:

1. Public parks. But, she needs a reason to go. (Walk the dog, float the toy boat, etc.) If she's DOING something there.. she'll meet others of like interest.

2. Join a special interest Club, or sports team. Soccer, sailing, volley ball, skiing, hiking, basket weaving.... anything. The point is to create the opportunity to meet other people who like what she likes.

3. Church. Most churchs of any stripe have many social things to do. She'll meet people her own age and can begin to build social life.

Rich Smith

Rich Howard
Rich Howard
Ultra Moderator

March 01, 2006 01:14PM
Sum good fun in the Big Smoke:

(Purely subjective/most involve alcohol and/or the udder stuff)

Kensington Market -College & Spadina
A couple of blocks crammed with shops selling fresh produce, meat, baked goods, vintage clothing, cheese. A lot of the produce vendors are Asian and carry a wide variety of stuff. The meat places I can browse in for hours. Stuff is pretty reasonably priced and lots of interesting characters ( low yuppie content because it smells in the summer).

The Portuguese part of town - College west of Spadina.
Can almost be too hipsterville. Esp. on weekends when suburbia descends upon downtown. Lots of good restaurants, bars. 'bout the right demographic.

Victory Tavern - Right behind HonestEd's off of Bloor
A mainstay. Good food/drink. Great patio in summer. You walk through a little theatre to get to the toilets. Next thing yo know you are in a play. But I was just takeing a piss...

Betty's - Queen East just on the fringe of the sketchy part of town
Really good patio. Most patrons work in the "media business" So a good mix solid folks plus assorted flakes and nuts.

Mono Cliffs Inn- North, not way up but up.(some rally content)
Mostest,favourest,bestest. Located in the village of Mono Centre on the edge of the Escarpment. Miles and miles of gravel with elevation changes and high speed sweepers can and do lead to this place. In the winter the roads are plowed and hard packed. Saddle up for a sleigh ride.
Go down to the pub. The food is really fuckin' good. The people who work there are solid. This is one of the best places I have been to in the world.
Two caveats
- I prefer winter, more cozy. Less hikers and country ramblers.
- Please run a sraight pipe on your car/sleigh. That way the families out wandering the roads picking chestnuts have some time to dive into the ditch.

For some more up to date and accurate info my younger(33)bro is still out on the scene. Also too is my Ambassador to T.O and resident of Kensington Market, Dan Cremin aka Don Krempton -best photographin',busted bodywork fixin', illegal bordercrossin',signboard holdin',joke tellin',dirt diggin', car pushin' philosophical reflectin',mudderfugger I know. He knows the scoop. I will see what those two have to say

Rich Howard
Indianapolis, Indiana
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

March 01, 2006 01:17PM
Rich Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, remember,you don't know anything about
> wholesome fun so give her the approach but let her
> use her own imagination. Your imagination is ...
> well... your imagination speaks for itself (grin).
> But, tell her to stay OUT of bars unless she's
> wants to meet an alcohlic.
>
> In any City in the world the best places to go for
> wholesome fun are:
>
> 1. Public parks. But, she needs a reason to go.
> (Walk the dog, float the toy boat, etc.) If she's
> DOING something there.. she'll meet others of like
> interest.
>
> 2. Join a special interest Club, or sports team.
> Soccer, sailing, volley ball, skiing, hiking,
> basket weaving.... anything. The point is to
> create the opportunity to meet other people who
> like what she likes.
>
> 3. Church. Most churchs of any stripe have many
> social things to do. She'll meet people her own
> age and can begin to build social life.
>
> Rich Smith

Rich pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I'm sure there are lots of activity clubs in TO.

Some can be found here :

http://toronto.craigslist.org/

Go to "Community" - Activities, Groups, and Events

If she's up for meeting people through a Church (not all Churches are the same, take Pentecostal for example... some of their Churches use music and song, but the music is played live on stage - full drum kit, electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, etc...)

In the Church case, there's a free course for "non Church as well as Church people" called "Alpha" that is good. People meet once per week for 10 weeks, have a free dinner, and discuss anything they want but only ask that participants be respectful of each other. There are no Pastors or senior staff present...

I think in metting people and setting up friendships a lot has to do with the type of person she is. For example if she is the type of person to be able to start up a conversation with a stranger in the vegetable section at Safeway, then she'll be fine on her own.

The Activities, Groups, and Events (on Craigslist) offer a multitude of free or near free things to do.

Rich Howard
Rich Howard
Ultra Moderator

March 01, 2006 09:02PM
Whoa.

You could be leading this woman into danger.

1. Public parks. Haven't you watched TV lately. An innocent woman is walking or sitting peacefully at abench, a maniac leaps up and bashes her head in wit a rock. Ussually its someone she knows,or mistaken identity,or random violence. but still, not a good idea. Plus that is where all the alchoholics go to sleep.

2. Clubs and organizations. Notwithstanding the hitlers that want you to be on the "comittee", these are a place for lurking psychopaths to " create the opportunity to meet other people" Ma'am, can I give you a ride home in my car........
I can't watch , tell me when its over.
Remember that the hardest drinkin mofo's are sailors, skiiers, rugbyists,baseballers, footballers, frisbeeists, Kayakers (not true), soccertarians, curlers (true), golfers (also true,but you'll vote for them anyway), sausage vendors, jazz playing fuckups, my buddy Alex, mechanics (yes), drivers(no, but think yes) surfers, ski-dooers, softball lesbos and everybody else who gets together every couple of weeks with other humans to do something.Sad to say that, sports and drinking go hand in hand.

3.Church. The smoke and mirror deal goes over well in the rural parts of the country where people need a place to get together with their neighbours and shoot the shit, so to speak. This is the Big Smoke , Bright Lights Big City. Churches down here are full of drug addicts who are looking for a place to nod and maybe a sandwich and zealots on missionary work on the "New Frontier"
I am surprised you haven't seen this. Its been all over the news.
Churches =brainwashing and fondling. Not nescessaraily in that order.

Reality is that if she is attending York U it is a waste land up there. Sad to say. Concrete campus built in the 70's. Gnarly, non human scale place. Escape to the "downtown" is really the only hope to find community.

Rich Howard
Indianapolis, Indiana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2006 09:04PM by Rich Howard.
Skye
Skye Nott
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 02, 2006 02:21AM
Hell yeah, curling = one of the few sports where you can do better after a few drinks

Pretty fun game though.

www.rallyrace.net
hudson
Andrew McNally
Super Moderator

March 04, 2006 12:17AM
A couger is an old girl looking for cooocccccck.

The brass rail is an infamous strip joint in Toronto

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
hudson
Andrew McNally
Super Moderator

March 04, 2006 12:23AM
Meeting people is all about making yourself available to be met. There are wankers everywhere, that is a fact of life. If anyone can come up with a venue in which to meet only "normal" people than they are deluded. The fact is if you go around and are friendly you will make friends.

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

March 04, 2006 01:21AM
Cougar definitions :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cougar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login