Posted by heymagic 
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

USAF
August 17, 2010 08:47PM
Isn't somebody here in the AF or recently was??
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: USAF
August 18, 2010 12:38AM
heymagic
Couple of quick points

Yeah somebody is

and has recently moved AND is not a fan of having his contact information spread around without his knowledge/consent. If you want to forward me your contact information I can send it on to him.

Cause I'm his Mommy and I have to watch out for him and protect him from all the meanie perverts on the Intra-webz that want to kidnap him the gang rape him till he becomes their cum-guzzling sex slave which is doubtlessly what you want to do cause I know you....

Sides, what's you need to know about the Air Farce?
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 18, 2010 10:03AM
john vanlandingham
heymagic
Couple of quick points

Yeah somebody is

and has recently moved AND is not a fan of having his contact information spread around without his knowledge/consent. If you want to forward me your contact information I can send it on to him.

Cause I'm his Mommy and I have to watch out for him and protect him from all the meanie perverts on the Intra-webz that want to kidnap him the gang rape him till he becomes their cum-guzzling sex slave which is doubtlessly what you want to do cause I know you....

Sides, what's you need to know about the Air Farce?

There ya go again stickin yer nose in winking smiley..... Brent is talking about signing up and I thought someone on the forum was in or had just been in recently. May have been SS.

As to your 2nd point about that other thread I pretty much agree. My email and phone numbers, much like yours, are posted frequently and so far no harm has happened to either one of us. Some of the Craigslist ads where they cover the license plate and put no info in the ads crack me up.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 18, 2010 10:21AM
Andrew Morton and Aaron Searle from Colorado both were. I believe Aaron may still be in some capacity. Both can be found on facebook or Colorado section of Specialstage.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 18, 2010 11:14AM
Tell him that there are better alternatives to siting someplace and pounding his pudding and learning largely NOTHING marketable---unless he chooses AP as MOS (Air Police), then he can get a job in some city as a cop.
Recruiters all lie whenever they talk, worse than old movie cliches about insurance salesmen but worse because what they lier about is ultimately a life.
Gene EVERY SINGLE MALE in my family in huge circles away (don't know how to say it but brother, father, cousins all, uncles AUNTIES, nephews etc for the last 60 years have gone into the military, nearly all into the navy, nearly all connected with ASW and the rest as Army, so I've seen oh a million people go thru the whole process as near as any person I know.

It's bullshit, it's welfare. Corporate welfare for the huge corporations making anything sold (at real "patriotic' prices, right!) to the military, personal welfare for those in the service (and as we see with a huge portion of the Nations enlisted on Food-stamps etc) and their families..

It's such bullshit that an elaborate mythology has been created across movies, TV, (gasp) and literature glorifying the military and by extension every aspect of it and ignoring, or shouting down viciously if needed, any examination of what or how any of the post-WWII use of the military has supposedly "protected' America.

tell Brent to get an education and get a productive job, one making things or somehow contributing to the the real way the country works rather than something which produces nothing useful at enormous taxpayer expense.

(Very few work skills learned in the military are transferable to anything civilian, so in the end the only thing of value is, for some, learning some personal discipline---and I don't want to pay the cost the Gubbymint spends per soldier/sailor/airman so that kids who find themselves without direction or employment can find a way out.)

Tell him he must be honest about the motivations that make him consider giving up on the "real" world and seeking refuge in the paid-for-by-others world of the military, especially the Air force (where the toys are so much more expensive).
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 18, 2010 01:36PM
At least in the military you have a job. Something that can't be said for many college graduates. A bachelors degree loses it's purpose when you'll give it to just anyone.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 18, 2010 01:37PM
Brent has just gotten a associates degree in criminal justice and really is looking to law enforcement. He has interviewed with the WSP and just tested for a corrections opening at Grays Harbor County. The problem is that he is 21 years old and every law agency gives extra scoring for military experience. He has no tickets, no record, no tattoos, excellent grades, can run a 6 minute mile and so on. USAF or Navy would get him out of this small town and some needed experience. Around here the typical kid his age chews tobacco, has a redneck 4 wheeler, barely graduated, 16 year old pregnant girlfriend , works part time, drinks, drugs and so on.

He is up testing today. Prelim tests the last couple days has the two recruiters fighting over him, so to speak. With his college he gets an E3 right out of basic. I never did the military thing myself but looking back it would have likely saved many wasted years of my mis-spent youth. Exploring options at this point. He really doesn't like turning wrenches every day, I can't blame him for that....
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 18, 2010 02:43PM
I can tell you that the people I know, a few friends and a few family members that have gone into the Air Force have excelled in life post-military. I don't know anyone from the Navy. The two friends that were in the Marines last I heard were making well over six figures as private security for contracters in Iraq after they did two-four tours in Iraq. The only friend I can recall that went Army was shot in the head and killed back in early 2008 in Iraq.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 18, 2010 04:55PM
heymagic

Brent has just gotten a associates degree in criminal justice and really is looking to law enforcement. He has interviewed with the WSP and just tested for a corrections opening at Grays Harbor County. The problem is that he is 21 years old and every law agency gives extra scoring for military experience.

Yep. Kinda twisted logic though that somehow a person goes into an extremely structered and literally regimented enviroment with limitless training and recourses is imagined to prepare them for the very much opposite enviroment of what you so perfectly descibe below

He has no tickets, no record, no tattoos, excellent grades, can run a 6 minute mile and so on. USAF or Navy would get him out of this small town and some needed experience

That it would. But engagement in the real world with a fuller range of ideas and experiences might be better for the soul in the long run.

Around here the typical kid his age chews tobacco, has a redneck 4 wheeler, barely graduated, 16 year old pregnant girlfriend , works part time, drinks, drugs and so on.

Yep I hear you there. but really the cities and suburbs are only different in degree and "stuff". joining the military---full of kids from other places that they wanted to escape from, and bringing the same essential relationship to the service with them is just another side of that same coin that you describe. Biggest difference is there is a strong external authority and a ridid and overt hierarchical stucture.
Maybe the difference is that the authority IS overt and monolithic and so young uns know there's little reason of point in rebelling since you will not win.

He is up testing today. Prelim tests the last couple days has the two recruiters fighting over him, so to speak. With his college he gets an E3 right out of basic. I never did the military thing myself but looking back it would have likely saved many wasted years of my mis-spent youth. Exploring options at this point. He really doesn't like turning wrenches every day, I can't blame him for that....

And I agree with you there.
I never really "enjoyed" just fixing stuff and that's one reason I like that I'm back to making things. But then again I have always been more focused on making things more than repairing stuff made full of compromises and there dead in front of me due to neglect/stupidity/sloth.
That's one reason why I don't understand how so few people are interested in production: making things (rather than managing or bossing people around---but that is also probably a generational thing, too)

Hope he finds some whatever it is ihe's seeking----but I can't understand why a person would want to be doing a job so in constant conflict with the society they find themselves in, and being a cop is by it's nature in conflict with a large part of the society)
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 18, 2010 05:28PM
Test passed with score of 88 so very good. This opens up most jobs for him. He'll do more talkinf with them next week.

Being a cop or in law enforcement isn't really a conflict with society. It may be in conflict with a certain segment of society, but that segment is pretty much in conflict with the rest of us anyway. :Law enforcement as well as military offer a wide range of jobs and skills and many will translate into civie life. Although he may just love it and be a lifer. Damitio is a retired Lt.Colonel in the USAF btw.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 18, 2010 05:37PM
heymagic
Test passed with score of 88 so very good. This opens up most jobs for him. He'll do more talkinf with them next week.

Being a cop or in law enforcement isn't really a conflict with society. It may be in conflict with a certain segment of society, but that segment is pretty much in conflict with the rest of us anyway. :Law enforcement as well as military offer a wide range of jobs and skills and many will translate into civie life. Although he may just love it and be a lifer. Damitio is a retired Lt.Colonel in the USAF btw.

Re Ray, different generation. hell it was a different country then.
MikeColangelo
Michael Colangelo
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Spec Miata

August 18, 2010 06:29PM
I'm currently in the Army Reserve and will probably try to go USAF Reserve when my current enlistment is up.

I worked for a number of years at Edwards AFB (as an engineer for Boeing) and saw how much better life was for airmen than for soldiers (Army). I got to know many airmen (officers and enlisted) and most seemed to appreciate the Air Force.

Anyone who is in the Security Forces for the USAF will get deployed to some hot spot. Just the nature of the job. The good thing about USAF deployments to Iraq, A-stan, or wherever, is that they tend to be shorter (typically by half) than Army deployments. The downside to shorter deployments is that you tend to get deployed more often.

Also, there are many jobs in all the services that translate well into civilian careers: mechanic, police, supply (logistics), commo, truck driver, etc.

Good luck to your son!
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 18, 2010 07:01PM
I think they are trying to talk him out of security and into a 'better' position. I think he goes back Monday for more discussions.
MikeColangelo
Michael Colangelo
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Spec Miata

August 18, 2010 07:47PM
heymagic
I think they are trying to talk him out of security and into a 'better' position. I think he goes back Monday for more discussions.

Rule #1 with enlistment contracts: If it's not on his contract, he doesn't have it. Get everything in writing. This pertains to his AFSC (job code), bonuses, ship date, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 07:49PM by MikeColangelo.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 18, 2010 09:33PM
MikeColangelo
heymagic

Rule #1 with enlistment contracts: If it's not on his contract, he doesn't have it. Get everything in writing. This pertains to his AFSC (job code), bonuses, ship date, etc.

Thanks for helping here. I'll run the stuff by you as it happens. So they can guarantee a job or a couple of choices? Do they have sign up bonuses?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login