Posted by derek 
derek
Derek Bottles
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Anyone Speek Pony Car here?
November 15, 2010 06:07PM
Some guy is offering me a trade of a 1966 Mustang for one of my powerboats.

I sure looks cute:
Yes it has a high performance 289 sheilby motor,cobra heads,dual edelbrock 750 cfm quads,crane roller rockers,lifters and cam,lunati pro mod rods.protorque starter ,cobra pan,351 cobra jet141/4" flywheel,11"centerforce clutch, hydroformed scatter shield ,t-10 top loader 4 speed Trans

Any of that any good? What is a good value for a Mustang?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mack73
Jason Wine
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Started a Golf... Never Finished It

Re: Anyone Speek Pony Car here?
November 15, 2010 08:03PM
derek
Some guy is offering me a trade of a 1966 Mustang for one of my powerboats.

I sure looks cute:
Yes it has a high performance 289 sheilby motor,cobra heads,dual edelbrock 750 cfm quads,crane roller rockers,lifters and cam,lunati pro mod rods.protorque starter ,cobra pan,351 cobra jet141/4" flywheel,11"centerforce clutch, hydroformed scatter shield ,t-10 top loader 4 speed Trans

Any of that any good? What is a good value for a Mustang?

Sounds good overall - basic muscle car upgrades

289 Shelby Motor = 289 Cubic Inch Small Block
Dual Edelbrock 750 CFM = 2 750 Cubic Feet Per Minute Carburetors (that seems like a huge amount of fuel for a 289....Hell 1 750 is plenty)
Crane roller rockers, lifters, cam = A cam shaft and lifters that use a roller tip to decrease drag of the pushrod against the camshaft.
Lunati pro mod rods = Lunati piston rods
Cobra pan = Cobra oil pan, probably increase oil capacity
Cobra jet 14 1/4 flyweel - a cobra jet flywheel, probably light weight
Clutch - you know what that is
Hydroformed scatter shield - fancy name for a shield that goes over the transmission to prevent damage if the clutch grenades
T-10 top loader 4 speed - a 4 speed tranny, don't know anything about them. Top loader means the plate to access the gears is on the top.

How much do you think the boat is worth?

-Jason
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Mod Moderator

November 15, 2010 08:06PM
The scatter shields are usually required at drag strips after a certain quarter mile time, as well, so he may or may not have been racing the car.
derek
Derek Bottles
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 15, 2010 08:39PM
Some people (ME) have blown up pressure plates in their cars so I know what that is all about. I found the stock VW pressure plate was not good to 9000 RPM in the rally golf.

I am looking for around $12,750 for the boat.

I wonder if it has any brakes or ability to turn/.
Attachments:
open | download - mustang 008.JPG (83.5 KB)
mustang 008.JPG
derek
Derek Bottles
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 15, 2010 08:42PM
The motor
Attachments:
open | download - mustang 010.JPG (206.5 KB)
mustang 010.JPG
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 15, 2010 09:10PM
One 750 is too big for a street 289, so it sounds pretty much like a drag car. Hard to say what it's worth. CL is full of similar Mustangs for a couple thousand less, but I'm seeing nice boats that aren't selling at 1/2 the prices of 2 years ago.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 15, 2010 09:16PM
Derek. I think you'd hate driving that car. Especially after so much time in cars that are so nice and fun to drive. Your Legacy GT probably outperforms that car in almost every situation. If it isn't fun to drive then it's just to show off and you don't seem to be that style to me.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 15, 2010 09:16PM
That looks like a 67 Mustang to me...the grill/nose and the lettering on the fender and the faux vents on the quarter panel are consistent with a 67. But the angle of the photo is just a little weird to tell for sure.

I see "slapper" traction bars on the rear axle, which probably means it's a drag car.

Dual 750s is a ridiculous amount of carburetor for that thing.

Do you have a VIN to decode to see what the car was originally? This thing is probably modded to the point where you don't need to care about "originality", but it would be nice to know if it was originally a 6 cylinder automatic in puke green.

No idea what it's worth.
derek
Derek Bottles
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 16, 2010 12:09AM
I expect my Legacy would kick and stomp all over it and if not I am sure my Ducati would... (OK the duc is really my wife's but she lets me ride it from time to time)

My thinking is there may be a lot more people inclined to own a Mustang then a Shamrock power boat and I might have a little fun in the mean time.

No sales tax for trades in WA

Gene someone down your way would like like my boat for fishing and stuff.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2058601509.html
JediTalen
Michael Charlton
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1999 F150 Sweep Truck

November 16, 2010 12:44AM
Looks to me like a pretty nice package, but it is clearly a drag setup, with WAY too much carb, so no corners for you! Good news is that it isn't too difficult to make those cars drive pretty nice and there are lots of good parts to be had at reasonable prices. Assuming it looks as good underneath and the panels aren't plastic you might have a decent trade there, as classic Mustangs are not depreciating anymore, and even drivers are fetching solid coin on the auction circuit.
mothra
Matt Smith
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

November 16, 2010 07:27AM
Derek, that is either a '67 or '68 model (the 64-66 was smaller and lighter). There are a lot of mod's on that car so I would be surprised if it was a "special" car from the factory. These cars were holding/increasing value really well before the recession but seem to be selling for much lower prices lately in my area. Check some recent sales. Set up like that it should be a blast to drive as long as you don't need to turn. It might have a little torque.
Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

November 16, 2010 07:53AM
my 2 cents from the North East (so maybe not usefull)

The boat is really nice (I'd love to have one like that) and being closed would make it perfect for our cold weather fishing, but any nice looking Mustang is worth at least a few thousand more than a used boat!

Right now there's at least 3 67-68 mustang in similar shape available. One being a real street car, almost 100% stock for 15k$ and the other is a California car, matching numbers that's going for 26k! Another CA car, but doesn't say match number, is going for 20k.

The boat here would still be worth about 12k if you are lucky.

So if it was me, I'd get the Stang and would sell it for profit when possible and enjoy it in the meantime.

Francois
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

November 16, 2010 09:40AM
derek
My thinking is there may be a lot more people inclined to own a Mustang then a Shamrock power boat and I might have a little fun in the mean time.

It's waaaay easier to flip the Mustang via eBay for cash (to someone far across the country you will never see again) than to sell a boat...
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 16, 2010 10:54AM
I kind of thought the nose didn't look correct, I think Andrew is correct on the years. 2nd gen body. The car looks clean in the pics and probably has had good money spent on it, not wisely though.

Thing with Mustangs is they sold so frickin many of them. Something neat like a real Shelby, California Special or whatnot will bring huge dollars, but the generic cars not so much. A clean car is always worth something. I have a customer with a stunning '52ish Ford PU that is a recent build and very nicely done street rod and he said it is probably only worth about 12-15k now. Probably 30K a couple years ago.

I'd verify the year and numbers, maybe have Duane Bender check it out (Motorworks on Belred Road). he's been doing the hotrod thing for years now. Might not take much to make the car more appealing. Intakes are cheap and looks like it has plenty of new carbs to chose from....with a stick you can drive around a pretty big cam unlike an automatic. Remove the chrome slapper bars.

Its probably worth as much as the boat. Most guys around here are into the 18ft aluminum things (which they all tow with 4door F350 PowerStrokes....). In September we listed our old Chris with Capital City Yachts and had a solid acceptable offer within a week. The buyer pissed me off and I told them to pack sand. 3 days later we had another offer that was more money and they were easy to deal with. Boat is on lake Union now smiling smiley .

Its money already spent so if you verify the car condition I don't think you will be any worse off. As Tim noted there will be way more Mustang buyers floating around. Shamrocks are nice boats but many PNW people don't realize that and equate everything to a Trophy...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 16, 2010 11:49AM
The real question is...................

Could one Ford

lead to another?

Could we be seeing Derek doing this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 11:50AM by john vanlandingham.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login