Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

vent | nothing interests me outside of rally cars
October 11, 2006 06:33PM
I know it's random, but I've spent the last four hours of my day covertly browsing Dice.com, Monster.com, and the DeVry national job board for hopefully a remotely interesting job of some sort. I've got it made for the time being, $14+/hr to sit on my arse and whore a bunch of automotive forums all day between faxing this or that to some underwriter so some schlub with worse credit than I've got can get a second or third mortgage for to pay for a swimming pool that costs more than my annual salary, but this job doesn't interest me.

Catch 22. It's not the money that is important, but doing what you love. In my case, I love rally cars. I'm a borderline "keyboard rallyist," I know, but dammit I've got a rally car and I want to build it, but that takes money. So here I am thinking to myself, "You don't have to make $50k+ to be happy, you just need something you enjoy doing that pays the bills." Sure thing. Only problem is, I have this $73k student loan note over my head for the next, ugh, twenty years, and all I can seem to find are A) receptionist positions, cool smiley WORK FOR HOME-EASY MONEY NOW bullshit, or C) some uber-advanced technical position of which I don't have dick for experience.

Ah well. Sorry to vent, but I figure you guys know what it means to have so much of your life revolve around rally (or the desire thereof), but have to be tied to some pud job that you're not really interested in, hoping to "one day" make it all happen. Nothing (financially) rewarding looks like anything I'd be interested in doing or qualified to do, and nothing I am interested in looks like it would pay squat.

One of these days, I aim to get this crap figured out. In the mean time, I'm going to grab a cold Dew, fire up the Talon, fire up a Kamel Red Light, and enjoy the upper limits of the tachometer in lower gears on my way home from a dead end job.

(sigh)

At least I have a cool car to play with when I get home tonight. tongue sticking out smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: vent | nothing interests me outside of rally cars
October 11, 2006 06:42PM
Move to Wyoming for a few years.

It's my home state and it's nuts right now due to current oil boom.

They've established a fund from state royalties. From here on out, if you graduate high school in Wyoming with at least a 3.0 GPA, the state covers your entire tuition to the University of Wyoming. 2.5 GPA gets 2 years at community college and 2 at UW. But they are having problems getting people to take up the offer because they can make so much money in oil industry.

My best friend, who's bought two houses this year up there (did I mention it's also cheap), works as a shotgunner. He is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He'll get a call and they say, "We have a crew of 16 in Rifle, CO that we need you to pick up and move to Gillette, WY." And that's all he does. Is moves oil rig crews from one location to another. He's getting $72,000 a year. My cousin's boyfriend is arc welding making ~$60K. My brother is a well-logger making over $50K. My friend Joe manages a regions worth of rigs and is making over $120K. It's fucking crazy right now.

What's your degree in? I always here about people with degrees having trouble finding jobs in Phoenix. I've had 3 friends that graduated from schools down there and ended up moving elsewhere a couple years after graduation because they couldn't find any jobs.

Grant Hughes
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

October 11, 2006 08:09PM
Finding a good job sucks. I love my job right now, but I get paid dick. Not by any fault of my bosses, they pay me what they can. Its just thats what someone of my level makes. But its still hard as hell to rally on $9 an hour! I do find, however, that being a mechanic sucks some of the fun out of working on the rally car. So thats why I'm going back to school next fall to get my bachelors, then I want to move to europe where hopefully I can rally more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2006 08:11PM by Carl S.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 11, 2006 11:21PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Move to Wyoming for a few years.

Yikes! I knew something like this would come up. Haha. The whole time I'm typing that, I know the solution; get a few friends together, move into one location, and spilt all the bills so that you have more income to spend on rally. (Sound familiar?) That's the ironic thing about it - you want it all. A nice house (nothing palacial, mind you, but something decent that's not located in the ghetto), money to live a comfortable life, and money to put into the rally program, but all that money adds up and you find yourself basing your job search not on what you're most interested in doing, but in what looks to be the most money you can get at the time. Wyoming? Land of opportunity aside, I don't want to live in Wyoming. tongue sticking out smiley

NoCoast Wrote:
> They've established a fund from state royalties.
> From here on out, if you graduate high school in
> Wyoming with at least a 3.0 GPA, the state covers
> your entire tuition to the University of Wyoming.
> 2.5 GPA gets 2 years at community college and 2 at
> UW. But they are having problems getting people
> to take up the offer because they can make so much
> money in oil industry.

If I were to move up there in hopes of cashing in on the boom, I can guarantee you the bottom would drop out of it in no time, and there I would be, stuck in Wyoming. LOL. Not to be pessimistic, but I came out to Phoenix about six, seven years ago to visit my family (who had recently moved here from Wichita). When I did, there were guys in "bunny suits" standing out on the curb at Intel plants with signs practically begging people to apply for jobs there. The tech sector was booming and upon my return to Wichita, I got a second job in order to raise money to move my ass to Phoenix. A year later, I made the move and ended up getting laid off at least six times in my first year. I left a decent, permanent, position with the pool company I'm with now to puruse what I was told was a solid future with Motorola, only to be laid off three months later due their new facility in Nogales coming on line early. Back to the pool company I went, and I've been doing the finance thing ever since. IT has left a bad taste in my mouth, but here I am with a degree from DeVry of all places. Heh.

NoCoast Wrote:
> What's your degree in? I always here about people
> with degrees having trouble finding jobs in
> Phoenix. I've had 3 friends that graduated from
> schools down there and ended up moving elsewhere a
> couple years after graduation because they
> couldn't find any jobs.

I had started in an associate program for Electronics Technician, but my boss at the time (one of the many lay off bosses) told me that, every time they put an ad for a technician in the paper, they'd get a couple hundred resumes, and that the computer information systems program (programming, database admin) was where it was at. About a year into that, seeing as I was progressing through the program without actually learning how to do any actual programming, I realized it was not something I wanted to pigeon-hole myself into and changed over to technical management. It's sort of business management with an emphasis on technological resources. DeVry is really good about finding students part time jobs, many tied to a degree program, but when you're a non-traditional student (I'll be 30 in April), you can't afford to take a <$1,000/month salary because you have, oh, I don't know, grown up and have these diabolical things called "bills" showing up each month.

I was herded through the ranks like the rest of the current DeVry sheep, learning less than those at state universities, paying more than $400/credit hour, and not making any use whatsoever of the skills I managed to take from my schooling. Again, forced to seek out the jobs that pay the most in order to survive, fucking myself in the long run as I see it.

Due to my changing programs three times, what was supposed to be a three year program ended up running me just under five years. When I started, companies were actually flying entire families out of state prior to graduation in an effort to entice prospective employees to work for them. These days, well, you read my first post. Close to 60% of all the jobs listed on the DeVry job board are through employment agencies representing IT firms looking to reach delivery goals while having their senior employees set up new facilities elsewhere prior to another lay off. About two years ago, I realized that I was probably going to have to look out of state if I wanted to make use of this degree, and that's why I went to Salt Lake last month. It's why I was planning a trip to Denver next month (now cancelled in favor of volunteering at Laughlin), and why I still might make a trip to Portland/Vancouver in the spring. I did my time in the small towns and I'll avoid it at any cost. That would be like trading a shit job for a shit town, ya know? At least in Phoenix I have a solid network of friends, enthusiasts, and rallyists to keep me from losing my mind outside the cubicle.

Yeah. I'm a bit bitter about all of this. winking smiley

Carl S Wrote:
> Finding a good job sucks. I love my job right
> now, but I get paid dick. Not by any fault of my
> bosses, they pay me what they can. Its just thats
> what someone of my level makes. But its still
> hard as hell to rally on $9 an hour! I do find,
> however, that being a mechanic sucks some of the
> fun out of working on the rally car. So thats why
> I'm going back to school next fall to get my
> bachelors, then I want to move to europe where
> hopefully I can rally more.

I hear you on the mechanic thing, Carl. I love cars. Always have. I own/run az2gnt.net, run 2gnt.com, a national community for owners of the second generation, non-turbo DSMs, and hang out on at least half a dozen other DSM and rally-related forums because I just can't get enough of this shit. I am always talking about something that needs to be done to one of my cars or a friend's car and always hear people say, "Why don't you see about working as a mechanic?" Simple. Once you have to do something, it takes a great deal of the fun out of it. How could I, after spending a day in a hot garage repairing the end results of neglect and ignorance of others, go home and want to continue the wrenching on my own car? I know I could, but damn, what an undertaking to be under a car all day, every day.

I was optimistic for a while at sending my resume to Barrett-Jackson for a consignment position a couple weeks back, but they never replied and specifically stated, in the form email reply, not to call them to follow up. Seemed perfect to me - not fixing shit I didn't break or selling shitboxes to morons who already think I'm a dirtbag on some lot. Oh well.

As for moving to Europe, I'd love to do that as well! In fact, I spent some time researching the idea earlier this year. I joined a couple ex-pat sites and still get the newsletter from the US Embassy in London. My German is far from acceptible at anything other than being a tourist so, despite my love of Heidelberg (which I consider to be my home), I had looked into moving to the UK. I figured it would make a convenient launching pad to WRC events galore each year. Turns out they have these "schemes" for how you can live and work in the UK. Try to suggest something like them here in the states and here comes the red, white, and green out of the wood work crying about how we're all racists. Bah. There is a reason why the Pound and the Euro are doing better than the dollar these days...

It just seems like I'm so eager to stop spinning my wheels and actually do something with my life, but as far as I see it, unless you're working for yourself, there's no way you can see the direct benefit to your increased efforts on the job. All we are is line items on a budget that is skimmed by a multi-millionaire who gets a multi-million dollar bonus for taking the job and another multi-million bonus when he leaves because the company is ashambles. I hate to say it, but I really think that, eventually, in America, you will either own McDonalds or you will work there. Anything in the middle will be shipped off-shore or something.

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm really not pessimistic. Just don't right know what the hell I'm doing these days and sometimes get the feeling that I'm losing valuable time to deal with more important things because I just haven't found that brilliant idea yet...

At least I've found there is a solid rally community in the states that will help me focus my efforts on this project car. I've got a $6,000 motor in my, now, daily driver, but she's never seen a dyno or race track. If she weren't so much damn fun to drive to and from work every day, I'd part her out to fund the rally car... which I plan on at least having running in time for Laughlin. smiling smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
JohnLane
John Lane
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

November 04, 2006 10:35PM
In Seattle a descent mechanic will make a minimum of $60K/yr.
I've moved a hundred miles away from Seattle cuz I hate Seattle politics and dealing with my business partner on an ongoing basis. I own the auto repair shop in Seattle that cannot hire a mechanic that is worth a shit for under $60K.
Far worse then dreaming of rallying cuz you are not there yet financially is not being able to rally anymore cuz you are watching an industry that once boomed go completely to shit for the owner of the auto repair shop. Yup, that is me. The dealers will happily pay you obscene money if you are worth a shit and are willing to put up with the dealership game of bullshit and politics. Yeah, I'm bitter too.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

November 04, 2006 11:06PM
JohnLane Wrote:> Far worse then dreaming of rallying cuz you are
> not there yet financially is not being able to
> rally anymore cuz you are watching an industry
> that once boomed go completely to shit for the
> owner of the auto repair shop. Yup, that is me.

B-b-b-but, they keep saying in Motor how there's a shortage of techs! According to their numbers, techs write their own wages and by next year there will be 200 cars per bay. (Our four-bay shop therefore would be pulling in 12-16 cars per day... YEAH RIGHT)

Want ads in Cleveland for techs last a week, two weeks tops. With many chains leaving and several large dealerships closing, there are way more techs than there are bays, and people just aren't getting their cars repaired. The shops that get all the work are charging only $35-40 an hour, and paying their guys appropriately shit wages.

I don't complain too loudly about $10/hour, although it's a step down from $20/flatrate and guaranteed overtime. At least I have a place to go to every day!

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Parry
Dave Maxwell
Junior Moderator

November 04, 2006 11:15PM
Laniac, the dealers have been hot and cold for over a year now out here. Seems like it's maybe been more often cold then hot, too.

I kind of want to go to school so I can enter a profession that won't destroy my hands, wirsts, shoulders, etc by the time I'm 40. I also want to make more money. Working on cars is fine and all, but I don't want to do it forever. Wouldn't be bad to have my hobby back, also. Annoyingly, seems there's like no cookbook for college. I'm also finding out that I don't really know much about not being a mechanic, and what people do for work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login