Racinkid13
Max
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

Is rally.......
November 01, 2011 05:42PM
Poll
Is it a good way to invest ones inheritance?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
20 votes were received.
Yes, do it now. Dont ask. 9

45%
Only if you dont pass a psych eval 2

10%
No, invest it all into Bacon. 9

45%

A good way to invest ones inheritance? G-pa on dads side recently passed away. Sad, yes, but he was 96 and ready to go be with g-ma and he went the way we all wish to go. Peacefully in his sleep right by my side. Ends up I get some money. Me, that blonde haired brat that ran around in tyvec overalls. And I may have bought a new toy in my vulnerable state. Possibly. Cant really remember.

Anyhoo, I was going to put whats left in a ROTH or IRA for retirement. But I got to thinking....theres always rally. What kind of gains does it have tho? Whats the interest rate? Are the dividends worth the investment? How is the market on rally? Bull? Bear? Do I need to really see an agent? Is there some sort of psych eval? Things i begin to ponder as i wander over yonder.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Is rally.......
November 01, 2011 06:38PM
Best way to make a small fortune.

Looking at the "average" American waistline, obviously bacon is your best investment. And the collective wisdom of the rallyanarchistas agrees.

But be smart. I know an idiot that got something like 4,2 million and evidently pissed thru it all already (since he resorted to selling things that weren't his to an innocent 3rd party and when his fraudulent and criminal acts were exposed says "I don't have the $3800"winking smiley
Now if that idiot had invested in the boringest investment around, like Seattle Municipal Bonds, he would have made around $179,000 a year without touching the principle. Most sane people ought to be able to live on $179,000 a year without lifting a finger. And maybe even more if he chose to work at some passtime level...

Money CAN make you stupid..

It's best you give it away.
My address is 2007 S. 126th, in Burien. I can help you unload it if its all in 20s.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 01, 2011 09:47PM
Krugerrands. They'll still be worth something when the world economy collapse and paper money is useless.
Land. The less accessible and wooded the better. Having decent soil that you can grow stuff on would be nice. As would a healthy deer population. This points heavily towards the UP of Michigan. You can probably get acreage for cheap up there in fact. Now I have to go look. I still kinda regret not buying more land in Wyo back when 40 acre plots were $7k or 13k if the river ran through them or they were on lake frontage.
We got a small amount from a family member that passed recently. It went towards a new washer and dryer. Of course, those will also be useless once there is no public utilities but we'll get our money's worth in the coming years probably.
Anything but rally. Rally should be paid for with credit cards and student loans not inheritances. Fake money that you'll probably never have to pay back anyhow.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 01, 2011 09:57PM
The great thing about a rally car is that it also makes a good bug out vehicle, for when the fecal matter impacts the spinning blades. smiling smiley
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 01, 2011 10:02PM
Rally, like all hobbies, should be funded by disposable income. You essentially have 'found' money. So it may be also considered disposable. Would you ruin your life by rallying? Could you save the world by not rallying? Did Leonard Nimoy save a set of ears? Did Kim K's hubby see that video? All sorts of questions one may ask.

Rally as an investment is slightly worse than Madoff's plan. It is very fun tho, unless you read all the bitch posts on SS...nobody seems to have fun. So I don't know. Bacon sounds good....
Francois
Francois Poirier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

November 02, 2011 07:52AM
heymagic
Rally, like all hobbies, should be funded by disposable income. You essentially have 'found' money. So it may be also considered disposable. Would you ruin your life by rallying? Could you save the world by not rallying? Did Leonard Nimoy save a set of ears? Did Kim K's hubby see that video? All sorts of questions one may ask.

I think my browser is broken... I've been trying to click on that for a few minutes now, still no video... Wait, I gonna try a few times again just in case... Nope, still no video showing.

As for the investment, well I'm not the kind of guys that puts all his eggs in the same basket, so I'd say spend half of it on bacon, then the rest on rally! Just don't forget the camping stove and a nice big pan for the service truck so you can make bacon at service for everyone!

Francois
alkun
Albert Kun
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 02, 2011 10:43AM
Make grampa proud and go RWD.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 02, 2011 11:53PM
Well, well, well, here's my 2 cents-

I think gramps would have said, pay all your bills, take your girlfriend out for a fancy dinner, flowers included and then share a little love winking smiley

http://www.kiva.org/lend/344688

Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

November 03, 2011 02:15AM
I say not enough info to tell....need to know how much. lets say you got $5K.....cool, nice little chunk of change....but not nearly enough to go rally, so why half-ass it?

Even if you got $20K....again, very nice....but do you really want to drop at least 1/2 to 3/4 of that on rally?

I think if you got anything less than $100K....invest it. Anything above $100K, play time.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 03, 2011 10:25AM
Francois
heymagic

I think my browser is broken... I've been trying to click on that for a few minutes now, still no video... Wait, I gonna try a few times again just in case... Nope, still no video showing.

As for the investment, well I'm not the kind of guys that puts all his eggs in the same basket, so I'd say spend half of it on bacon, then the rest on rally! Just don't forget the camping stove and a nice big pan for the service truck so you can make bacon at service for everyone!

Oh it ain't that easy...you gotta find it yourself. Used to be a copy available on Frostwire cool smiley
Racinkid13
Max
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

November 03, 2011 10:28AM
Well, bills paid, all debt now gone (having been young and dumb with credit cards at one time). 'Cept for the house. Waiting for my new t...........toy to arrive.

So, I was looking to place half in a ROTH/IRA. $90k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 10:31AM by Racinkid13.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 03, 2011 03:46PM
You're too young to go all in ROTH/IRA. OK to take a third of it and go higher risk. I'll send a PM with a couple of ideas for you if you're serious.
Racinkid13
Max
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

November 03, 2011 04:04PM
I am serious about investing it for retirement. All too much did i see friends get money and end up like JVL said. And after going thru credit debacle I want to make sure im doing something smart with it.

Young? I have grey hair, means Im old.....right?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 03, 2011 04:16PM
Wannabe
You're too young to go all in ROTH/IRA. OK to take a third of it and go higher risk. I'll send a PM with a couple of ideas for you if you're serious.

Rememeber to tell him "Never risk money you can't really just throw away".
Smart capitalists don't risk things, that's why they can hold onto money. They risk other people's money, then shrug when it goes to hell
"like, whatever"

Kinda like racing.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 03, 2011 09:10PM
You can do a Roth AND be "high risk", just depends where you park the $$$, there are all kinds of mutual funds to throw money at. But it seems that unless you're insider trading or otherwise gaming the system, the only solid investments nowadays involve weapons, ammo, and/or Krugerrands. With the system as rigged as it is, a low-budget rally car doesn't seem nearly as stupid as it used to...if you're going to piss your money away, may as well have fun doing it instead of watching a financial portfolio continue to shrink.

Check with a tax professional (or at least read a bunch of stuff online) to make sure you qualify for a Roth (not sure where inherited $$$ falls as far as income, so watch your cornhole with the IRS).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login