Advanced

Is this place really that apolitical?

Posted by john vanlandingham 
JohnLane
John Lane
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

Re: Is this place really that apolitical?
September 09, 2012 12:05PM
john vanlandingham
Wot da fawk. Look at the slice of the pie which in one way or another, labeled as this or that, baked into other things maybe, that is devoted to the military and you're looking at maybe 1/2 of what the Federal Government spends.

That fact that it exists, and the way that it exists is not sustainable...yet there it is.
They don't call it "the third rail" for nothing....

Well we can choose to face it + the rest of the spending or be ZAPPED as ALL the Dominoes fall.....

For now.... Our choice. Not for long.

Do the math.... $16 Trillion of debt with Trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.... . How many dollars of debt for every person who is working? eye popping smiley Hyperinflation HAS TO FOLLOW as the Dollar crashes.... Only reason it hasn't is cuz there is no-where else in the world to go but precious metals..... The Stock market is over 13,000.... On what? That is pure hot air if ever I've seen it.

We're in a world of shit. Let's see if we can dig out of it. Now the Fed is talking about printing more.... ugh.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 09, 2012 12:19PM
http://www.freerangelongmont.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/US-National-Debt-GDP.gif

For those young 'uns here I will gently remind you that during the Republican administrations of Eisenhower, Nix and Ford we were pissing away money fast and furious in a ill-advised, and pointless competition with the Soviet Union--a country that has lost in WWII not the 0.32% of pre-war population in battle dead, and not a single factory or bridge or railroad lost, but 14-15% of their people killed, another 20-25% wounded*, 50-60% of all their housing destroyed, some insane %, 60-70% of bridges and railroads and harbors and mines flat destroyed ..

And yet, bled out, "we" believed the insane ravings of right wing extremists in the "intelligence" community and launched on a huge---we thought---expensive, costly "Cold War" against this country who really wanted to lick their wounds--wounds a scale simply not possible to conceive**, and who wanted to make sure that nobody, NOBODY could do this to them, again.

Look at that chart, even pouring billions into the cold war, billions onto playing Spaced Race, billions of dollars to go kill 2 or 2.5 million peasants in SE Asia to bring American values to them, look at the chart.

Until THIS CURRENT BRAND of fantasy based, slicked down, feudal thinking piles of shit got in starting with Reagan-----who at least had the sense when his idiotic blather "lower taxes, bring in more money" failed miserably---and unemployment went higher, finally raised taxes and increased spending and broke the "Stagflation" created by Nixons foolish moves more than 10 years before.

When some people say, we have to reign in spending they need to look at that chart, look at the red lines...

And absorb the metaphor: that is if you let the frat boys come to your house and they, being inbred idiots who have never been punished for anything they've done--for generations--- burned down half the house, it is probably going to cost something to STOP the fire, and cost something to repair the damage and probably going to cost something to repair the neglect that the whole neighborhood suffered by the actions of that little group of frat boys whose daddies have always fixed their tickets...

* you boys all grown up probably don't know but typically its reckoned that when a military unit suffers about 10 killed, its probably "worn out" and needs to be withdrawn . 10% dead means maybe 25-35% wounded and experience worldwide showed most men just start hunkering down and become useless when 35-45% of all the men they can see---and who they know, don't forget that--- all dropping all around.

** I lived in Italy not even 10 years after the end of WWII and I have an unusally crazy good visual memory.. I thought there was a fair amount of bomb damage--but really it was nothing, Naples was not heavily bombed. Rome didn't really suffer. Southern Germany where we went was rural, but 1970 when I drove thru East Berlin there i saw destruction still obvious---from the missing buildings and missing blocks---and the large and small pock marks everywhere in everything stone.

All this was nothing, as shocking as it was, nothing compared to the devastation in the Ukraine and Russia.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 12:58PM by john vanlandingham.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Infallible Moderator

September 09, 2012 10:40PM
Love the chart! I'm going to noodle on it a bit before responding. There's an interesting story if you look at the trending.

Have a great week smiling smiley
mekilljoydammit
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

September 10, 2012 03:40PM
Hmmm. Venturing away from the normal forums...

... well. How about "does anyone believe we still have fair elections?" for a question.

I dunno man. Speaking as a resident of Wisconsin, and watching the recall election results from June... haveta just start wondering if we're all just fucked. But hey, my ability with languages is shit, so can't run away... guess we'll see.
JohnLane
John Lane
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

September 10, 2012 05:29PM
mekilljoydammit
Hmmm. Venturing away from the normal forums...

... well. How about "does anyone believe we still have fair elections?" for a question.

I dunno man. Speaking as a resident of Wisconsin, and watching the recall election results from June... haveta just start wondering if we're all just fucked. But hey, my ability with languages is shit, so can't run away... guess we'll see.

Well yeah we're screwed. Unless the goal is to let it all come crashing down and see what grows out of the ashes so to speak.....

Seems like you ended up on the winning end in Wisconsin..... Things are looking up there.....

JohnLane

mekilljoydammit
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

September 10, 2012 06:16PM
Well... we all get our own opinion. Leaving aside the relative merits of the various political viewpoints, Walker's a twat in a suit who fucked up as county executive before running for governor, apparently just because he figured out it's an easy way to be a celebrity. And I am pissed off about the various voting irregularities but... ain't like that's going to get investigated so oh well.
JohnLane
John Lane
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

September 10, 2012 07:38PM
Plenty of us are pissed with how 'voting' here in Washington State continues until the anointed party counts enough of the left ballots to win..... drinking smiley

Stinks everywhere doesn't it.....

Don't like it? Get involved! That is what the 'Tea Party' is..... People getting involved. Regular people who are sick and tired of the endless bullshit. Let's see if it helps. Hope springs eternal.

JohnLane

HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 10, 2012 08:15PM
John,

I'm missing some of what you are saying because you are being obtuse in your wording.

Economic policy and it's effects don't just happen at an instant. The lead time is typically 4-8 years. All I have to say on that subject, and it makes your chart much more "interesting" to look at winking smiley

Not that I'm saying that the US's military isn't crazy, it is.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 10, 2012 08:46PM
Iran is often used as reason why we need a military presence in the Middle East like we do. Yet they've not invaded a country in how many years???

Grant Hughes
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 10, 2012 10:18PM
Shit, I went over to my parents' today and the Faux News was on the TV. I told my dad to shut that off it'll rot your brain, but he said CNN was just as bad from the other side. Whatever.

The Faux News guys were basically saying we're THIS CLOSE to having to go invade or nuke Iran, and Israel is probably going to do it any day now. Or words to that effect. I was having enough trouble dealing with the nausea to really listen.

Then it switched to election stuff...ugh. Both things brought up as Gospel that Obama was doing against the military I've found to be gross exaggerations or genuine fuckups by military personnel. It got worse. I just left it with my usual "I hope they both lose!" comment (mostly because Obama is a Coors Light Bush Jr. as far as I'm concerned, not sure what Romney would be, since he's a good Mormon and doesn't drink...man I need another beer).

Sanders/Johnson 2012!!!!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 10, 2012 10:33PM
fiasco
The Faux News guys were basically saying we're THIS CLOSE to having to go invade or nuke Iran, and Israel is probably going to do it any day now. Or words to that effect. I was having enough trouble dealing with the nausea to really listen.

I read The Economist, as I thoroughly believe in "following the money" when it comes to anything. It's a european business mag IIRC.

They are quite confident that Israel is getting pretttttty close to doing something. I wouldn't doubt their judgement.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 10, 2012 10:50PM
HiTempguy
fiasco

I read The Economist, as I thoroughly believe in "following the money" when it comes to anything. It's a european business mag IIRC.

They are quite confident that Israel is getting pretttttty close to doing something. I wouldn't doubt their judgement.

Following the money is always the smartest thing to do, like with rally rule changes...I guess we should invest in iodine tablets and Ford Fiestas. And more Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I have to go vote in primary elections tomorrow. Never minding the fact that the Repugnant Goons completely gerrymandered the legislative districts, I can't decide if I should A) vote for the commie not so liberals that suck less than the Repugnant Goons, cool smiley take a Repugnant Goon ballot (the joy of being "undeclared"winking smiley and either writing in Mickey Mouse and Osama Bin Laden, C) taking a Repugnant Goon ballot and voting for the biggest tea-bagging unelectable homophobic extreme pro-life idiots I can find to give the commie Dimmocrats a better chance, or D) taking either of the ballots and just walking to the box leaving it blank, since there's no Green or Libertarian ballot to be taken (unless something's changed that I don't know about).

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 10, 2012 11:09PM
fiasco
I guess we should invest in iodine tablets

Special price for Lugotabs/Iodoral for any Rally Anarchist!!! smiling smiley Just PM me and we'll get you some on the way! smiling smiley
Ya know, my father in law was the one to come up with a tablet form of iodine and we make them at the lab. I take a 25 mg tab daily.
That week after the Japanese thing sucked. Wife was working 80+ hours filling orders and their main business is iodine deficiency and bromide/fluoride toxicity testing not the compounding/supplement stuff.
We did a fun case study on my daughter to see how fast she flushes aluminum post immunization. They gave her 850 micrograms. Any guess which element seems to be highly correlated with removal of that aluminum? Yup. Iodine. Just a case study and needs expanded, but aluminum toxicity has been linked to alzheimers and the amount they give to babies in vaccines is crazy.
Anyhow... Back to politics!
Iran was at war with the US once kinda. When we supplied a bunch of weapons to Iraq to attack them. Guess we kinda fucked that one considering we had to go back in against Iraq like 10 years later then again like 10 years later.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 10, 2012 11:41PM
NoCoast
Iran is often used as reason why we need a military presence in the Middle East like we do. Yet they've not invaded a country in how many years???
1725?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Infallible Moderator

September 11, 2012 12:07AM
HiTempguy

Economic policy and it's effects don't just happen at an instant. The lead time is typically 4-8 years. All I have to say on that subject, and it makes your chart much more "interesting" to look at winking smiley

Not that I'm saying that the US's military isn't crazy, it is.

That's what I wanted to say!

We can all complain about what is wrong or we can each do a little something for each other and remember we're all in it together. Or....we can pray and ask for a Miracle smiling smiley

Too tired to think but there's more to that chart...Anders where are you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login