Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

Re: Focus RS
February 06, 2015 08:06AM
Yeah that AWD system sounds really interesting.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

February 06, 2015 01:02PM
Andrew_Frick

Yeah, as in bevel gears and clutches suck. At least with what's in an Evo or Subaru everything falls back to a mechanical diff. What happens when one of the clutches in the RS in the rear gives up the ghost? That wheel is unhooked from the drive train. I would assume that's how torque is getting split F/R as well, because that's a lot cheaper than an active center diff.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 06, 2015 02:12PM
Nubby
Andrew_Frick

Yeah, as in bevel gears and clutches suck. At least with what's in an Evo or Subaru everything falls back to a mechanical diff. What happens when one of the clutches in the RS in the rear gives up the ghost? That wheel is unhooked from the drive train. I would assume that's how torque is getting split F/R as well, because that's a lot cheaper than an active center diff.

So what you are saying is when the mechanical parts break it may not perform as designed. I don't see how that is different than the currently available stuff
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

February 06, 2015 02:16PM
Andrew_Frick
Nubby
Andrew_Frick

So what you are saying is when the mechanical parts break it may not perform as designed. I don't see how that is different than the currently available stuff

The ACD pump in an Evo can go kaput, then you end up with an open center diff. To me, diffs aren't that finicky, electro-mechanical-hydraulic-computer-controlled stuff is where I expect things to fail. So if it's going to fail, I prefer it to fail gracefully.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

February 06, 2015 04:18PM
Nubby
Andrew_Frick
Nubby
Andrew_Frick

The ACD pump in an Evo can go kaput, then you end up with an open center diff. To me, diffs aren't that finicky, electro-mechanical-hydraulic-computer-controlled stuff is where I expect things to fail. So if it's going to fail, I prefer it to fail gracefully.

I imagine it would depend on how the clutches operate. If they're set up to lock if the electronics fail, then might not be a big issue.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

February 06, 2015 05:06PM
Judging from this extremely clear and highly technical schematic, it looks like a clutch pack failure would result in a loss of drive. Hydraulically actuated clutch packs, there might be some issues there. Though the industrial industry seems to design high load clutch packs that don't fail all the time.

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

February 06, 2015 05:13PM
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

March 15, 2015 12:11PM
tipo158
From C&D interview with the Ford VP of Product Development, concerning the AWD system -

"Q: Talk us through that system—the rear axle has a continuously turning propshaft and then two clutches that can engage each side separately?

A: It has. You can almost look at it as like an active limited slip, you’re actively working the clutches and so obviously doing the typical varying between front and rear torque splits, up to 70 percent to the rear. But at the rear, 100 percent is available to go to the outside wheel, that’s what’s different. We’re still using brake torque vectoring at the front, which is great for helping turn-in. But for coming out of a corner and laying power down you don’t want to lose anything. So we’re able to electronically control the clutches and infinitely vary the torque, make sure it’s all being delivered."

So it's the same setup Subaru had on the Rex back in the 80s except with active clutches instead of viscous couplings. Neat.

Hopefully the RS coming out will drive ST prices further into the ground the same way the ST drove SVT prices down. Was looking at 2 year old STs and they can be had in the $10-12k range.

The downside is the Focus is a huge car. And the driving feel, at least of the base model Focuses, is not very involving at all. I have driven video games that felt more realistic. No steering feedback whatsoever.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

March 15, 2015 12:13PM
Robert Culbertson
Judging from this extremely clear and highly technical schematic, it looks like a clutch pack failure would result in a loss of drive. Hydraulically actuated clutch packs, there might be some issues there. Though the industrial industry seems to design high load clutch packs that don't fail all the time.

There has been just a little bit of development of hydraulically actuated clutch packs in automobile drivetrains over the past 75 years, since the first Hydra-Matic was introduced in 1940.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

rallytaff
Pete Morris
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

March 16, 2015 09:47AM
Didn't the Focus come with and on/off traction control swicth? I have one on my Fiesta ST. Steering input is very precise.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

March 16, 2015 11:51AM
Pete

Hopefully the RS coming out will drive ST prices further into the ground the same way the ST drove SVT prices down. Was looking at 2 year old STs and they can be had in the $10-12k range.

I'm hoping it drives the prices down as well.....

Where are you finding used ST's for 10-12k?

I've never seen any pricing even remotely close to that even
on the highest mileage car I could find.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

March 18, 2015 03:15PM
rallytaff
Didn't the Focus come with and on/off traction control swicth? I have one on my Fiesta ST. Steering input is very precise.

Concerning gen 3 Foci-yeah, the ST has a button. The other trim levels you have to go into the info screen.

Some earlier Foci had traction control as well.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

June 29, 2015 07:16PM
oh shit wrong thread !!!

anyway, here's to this car putting STI and Evo prices into the shitter.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 07:19PM by Pete.
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

October 12, 2015 04:59PM
Engine has gone through certification, original numbers of 345hp/325ft-lb are wrong.

It's 350hp/350ft-lb.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

October 15, 2015 09:23AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login