NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

JVAB big brakes
December 31, 2007 02:09PM
Must be Seattle. Is that some flannel I see poking out. smiling smiley

Congrats John. Sounds like this guy is stoked. Do you know if he's still on stock rear brakes. I suspect you'll now have quite a few more street car guys wanting your brakes. I think mine with dual masters and big rear scared them away. Did you encounter anything with the brake pad touching the hat, but more importantly, the backing plate touching the M8 hardware?

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: JVAB big brakes
December 31, 2007 03:19PM
Yep, there was definitely contact so I just took the ol' 4" angle grinder and a 60 grit disc and kissed down the scallopped part of the steel backing plate and the pad to give clearance.
Took maybe 3 minutes and a quick slide in to check.
Also took the thick spacer for the center pad retension bolt and took like .120" off the center for disc clearance.

Looks like I will make more effort at doing the holes for the bolts in the ears a little more offset to eek out an extra mm or so and I'll probably chop off a mm or mm and a half off the disc OD.

He's still on the drums and the pedal was good and firm, felt better and better as we put some miles on and I suspect it'll get better in the next few days.

I did show him the stack of rear hubs or flanges turned down to the same OD as the hat ID we're using on the front, I figured that there's no reason to force people to use the disc brake stub shaft, flange and bearing carrier, when everybody has the drum brake stuff already.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login