Advanced

Ok Tig welders...

Posted by Dazed_Driver 
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

Ok Tig welders...
February 10, 2008 12:25AM
Who's got some TIG tips? Ive been practicing with our's and it' going great! Soooo much more control then with the mig, and a LOT nicer. Unfortunently I still dont trust my own welds, haha.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Ok Tig welders...
February 10, 2008 12:56AM
Clean, clean, clean. Especially if your welding aluminum. Closer fit the better too. Oh, and start going to yoga, especially if you ever envision trying to weld a jungle gym in 26 cubic feet, aka roll cages. Oh, and make sure you can get out once you've welded the next bar in. I've done that once, and thought I was going to have to dislocate something to get out. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 10, 2008 07:07AM
What Grant said, especially the clean part. Aluminum can never be clean enough. And take your time, pretty welds don't happen if you are rushing things. Practice, practice, practice.
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

February 10, 2008 08:42PM
You've got it backwards - so long as you saw a puddle and got some filler in it, you've probably got a reasonable weld. I'd walk on a ladder TIG-ed by a beginner but probably not one MIG-ed by an intermediate.

Ron Covell has a neat video on tig which covers a lot of the basics, but it sounds like you're beyond that now. Nothing but mindless repetition will help you improve now!

If you have a pulser on yours, its handy to help you get some rhythym going, set somewhere around 1pps. I also like turning up the stereo for a beat to dip to.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 10, 2008 11:00PM
Yeah, the dynasty DX does have pulse mode. It was pretty crazy thinking about using a hand control, but having used it, its a lot easier then I remeber the foot control being!

Here's my latest weld. Its just some left over 1.5 x.095 roll cage tubing notched and welded.

Attachments:
open | download - 0210082049.jpg (180 KB)
0210082049.jpg
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 10, 2008 11:07PM
Yeah, the dynasty DX has pulse control. We got a CK torch with a 360 degree swivel head and a hand control. It was pretty crazy thinking about having to use the hand control, but its not bad at all!

Here's my latest weld

Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

February 10, 2008 11:11PM
Um, focus the camera please...
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 10, 2008 11:23PM
Wow, didnt know I double posted. And sorry about the pic quality. Thats my cellphone, im trying to find the manual for my Digital so I can make it Un-suck more. The flash is too light and reflects too much, and with out it its to dark and out of focus...

Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 10, 2008 11:41PM
Ok, better pics, haha.

Attachments:
open | download - DSCN7171.JPG (47.2 KB)
DSCN7171.JPG
open | download - DSCN7173.JPG (51.1 KB)
DSCN7173.JPG
open | download - DSCN7174.JPG (58.4 KB)
DSCN7174.JPG
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

February 13, 2008 08:09PM
A bit more filler rod and you've got it. I wish all the welds I inspected looked this good...! I've found the pulse mode essential for thin stuff, like sheet metal.

Have yet to graduate to AL.

Regards,
Mark B.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Professional Moderator

February 14, 2008 02:49AM
Ok, I played around with pulse today. I really dont understand it. I tried it with high freq pulseing, and low. I did leave the fluctuation on 50% but i varied the high amps and the low amps.

Anyone help clue me in to this feature? All i did was get VERY annoyed at the buzzing noise.

PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

February 14, 2008 07:20AM
You can probably get by without pulsing while you learn the basics, as it may get in the way of learning some fundamentals.

That being said, pulsing lets you vary the current between two set points (peak/background) at a given frequency, and the time spent at each point need not be balanced. This can be used to minimize the overall heat input to avoid blowing through thin material, by spending less time at the peak current, and also for controlling bead size - since the puddle can cool and contract at the background current (if set low enough), you can prevent the bead from widening out without having to manually adjust your current with the amptrol. This is very nice for welding in a fixture or out of position. Pulsing will also make the puddle more fluid in DC I've found, ie. you can push the puddle a lot more at 75pps than at 5.

The only reason I mentioned it is that it can be handy for getting your rhythym down in terms of when to move and add filler to produce the 'classic tig' bead appearance. Try something like:

Background: 50% of peak current for your material
Width/Balance: 60% peak
Frequency: 0.8-1.0pps

Add filler when the peak current is up, translate when you're in background. The real fun begins when you're in AC and want to start fiddling with the frequency...
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

February 14, 2008 10:04AM
The pulsing is not as useful for thicker steel materials like the tubing you're practicing on. Get some bits of thin sheet metal and try a simple butt weld of 2 pieces; without pulse, it's a struggle maintain a decent puddle without it falling through. The lower level pulse current allows the area areound the puddle to stay cool enough to not blow through, while keeping enough heat in the puddle.

That being said; I'm still a Tig student....Took a while to learn to work with a smaller puddle than with oxy-acetylene.

Regards,
Mark B.
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

February 14, 2008 04:12PM
That must be one of them there dials I've never fiddled with...

I've been TIGing on and off for close to 30 years and never even tried pulse!
I'm sure my old machine doesn't have it, but next time I'm on a fancy new machine I'll give it a whirl!

-Martin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login