Eddie Fiorelli
Eddie Fiorelli
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 VW GTI

Change oil every 3 months?
February 10, 2008 08:09PM
Hey guys,

Ok, not a rally question but a tow vehicle question (and probably a dumb question at that). I use a V8 F150 as my tow vehicle and it doesn't get much mileage. The question is, what's the rational behind recommending to change oil every 3 months (or 3k whichever comes first). I know newer cars are stretching the time period or mileage out but I'm curious as to why is their an "expiration" date. Does oil go bad with age even when its not being driven? I probably don't hit 3k miles within a year...

I use the recommended Motorcraft Synth Blend 5w-20 in my Ford 5.4L V8 Triton.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

Re: Change oil every 3 months?
February 12, 2008 12:42PM
Eddie Fiorelli Wrote:
> I know newer cars
> are stretching the time period or mileage out but
> I'm curious as to why is their an "expiration"
> date.

Newer cars are stretching the mileage out because the OEMs don't give a crap what happens when the car is out of warranty, but they do care about apparent reduced operating costs.

Plus more new cars hold 50-100% more oil than they did not too long ago. Lot of 6-7-8 quart systems. 8 quarts of synthetic adds up, so they say "Eh, change it every 15k or so" But that does help it hold up.

>Does oil go bad with age even when its not
> being driven? I probably don't hit 3k miles within
> a year...

Time-wise, condensation is a killer. If you keep your truck in a controlled environment (no temp swings, no major humidity) except for when towing, you don't have to worry. Our shop dragster-hauler gets an oil change about every other year and has been going strong since '77 or so...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login