Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oil breather question that might be dumb.

Posted by Perry 
Perry
Perry Seaman
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

Oil breather question that might be dumb.
March 17, 2021 10:28AM
I see so many car fires at events I go to that I'm trying to do what I can during my engine swap to prevent them. so far I have pretty much all the flammable plumbing on the intake side of the engine away from the exhaust heat. At sandblast rally a couple weeks ago there was a fire where the car had rolled on its side and something was getting on the header. It got me thinking about my oil breather that I still need to build. I was going to use one of the little aluminum cans with a filter on top and it fits best on the exhaust side of the engine. But now I'm gonna move it away from there and wondering if I just put a draft tube on it with a u at the top if that would be smarter to help prevent oil from gushing out if the thing is on its side or upside down. I could locate the tank on one side of the engine and the draft tube on the other so it wouldn't leak when rolled on either side of the car. I'm probably just being anal but I'd prefer not to burn my car down or myself and co-driver wife.

Anybody else have any better ideas? Maybe there's a check valve or pcv that could go in the line to prevent oil from just flowing out of it?

Like I said probably a dumb question.

By the way this is the old black and red xr4ti that has been posted on here about for last 15 years. We raced it back in August and had engine issues so I put a 2.5L Duratec in it with a turbo. It should see another event this summer.

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - PXL_20210316_024552341.jpg (58.5 KB)
PXL_20210316_024552341.jpg
open | download - _DSC5318.jpg (73.5 KB)
_DSC5318.jpg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login