Posted by turoc 
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

Re: 02-04 Civic SI rally worthy?
February 15, 2008 11:52AM
Have you looked at the Missing linkz shifter parts. I put some on my MkI and all my shifter problems went away. You gotta change your attitude about the small stuff. If you are fiddling with the small stuff then you are having a good rally since the big stuff is not breaking.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 15, 2008 12:34PM
Yeah. Wednesday i took a look why it was causing shift problems and realized the whole transmission mount bracket was loose. As per Josh and Jeremy W i do not have the right bracketry. The transmission casing will be changed to an MK2. (The current box is a mk1 gti close ratio 4K) In order to install it the previous owners made up a homemade mount adapter. So all that will be changed. I also had overheating issues. The fan wouldnt kick in and i would be over the limits of the gauge. Mostly happened during line ups to starts. Once i got going and were not redlining it would cool off, however there were 1-2 stages a reached the finish fully past the gauge. My starter wire would pop off (brand new starter installed 3 week ago). She stalled on me once rolling to finish control and i couldnt start her. And of course the clutch was slipping as a result of oil leaking into the flywheel from the main seal. Enginer restorer and another sealant took care of that. All will be corrected and i hope to be installing a 2lt by RWV.

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 21, 2008 05:42PM
Andrew_Frick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One problem I have seen with the new Honda's on
> rally stages is over heating. The Acura RSX that
> races at NASA sometimes always seems to need more
> water in the radiator.

Gee wonder what rsx are you talking about, because mine doesnt always need more water.
derek
Derek Bottles
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

February 21, 2008 06:28PM
First off I have a stock Honda Si, a 2005 model as a street car and it is not bad in any way. It needs a limited slip but the gearing is OK and the power is OK, likely close to what my very well preped Golf had. However I think you will have a very hard time finding a shell for less then $12k

Second: All rally cars have lots of little things that will always need work, if you do not like the little things I highly recomend a PGT subaru WRX as the closer to stock (in a base car that can deal with it) the less problems you will have.

Third: The golf does take a lot of work to make into a good rally car, the number of things that are flimsy weak crap that need to be replaced is scary but once done it is a fun car and fairly cheap to run.

fourth: No one in the US knows what are the problems with the Si, so you would be finding out for the first time what will brake. I can tell you what the problems with the golf are today and how to fix them - on the Honda - you are on your own...

In the long run reality always wins.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 21, 2008 06:52PM
There are plenty available for less than 8K asking price. I ve heard of hit ones picked up for 3K ish. I will be looking to spend about 6 to 6.5 for a daily driver.
At this point i would like to stick with 2wd so sube out of question.
The golf is fun as hell and it doesnt mean much but like i mentioned i have a 100% finishing record (only 2 events). It s just that its an older car and i am kinda spoiled. I understand all rally cars need maintenance but things like heat, wiper, lights work properly on a newer car. Even if it is little you have a better chance of sponsorship with something that looks modern
There are a few RSXs being rallied in the US which shares the same platform. So some knowledge of build spec/problems exists. Unlike your old golf you do not need to dump a lot to get out of the motor. Aftermarket is there and cheap. The motor has potential (at least with a typeS/R). My main worry is the chasis.

Thanks for your input though Derek. You are definetely one of the few people i look upto in the US rally scene.
Oscar

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 21, 2008 07:12PM
You can find those civics for less than $4000 in auctions, if its an insurance auction it can be picked up for about $2000.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

February 22, 2008 11:25AM
Oscar, the reason why your car needs so many little things is because whoever owned it before you also "didn't like the constant little tings" and never bothered to fix things CORRECTLY.

Your golf is only 3-4 days of work on little things from being very solid.

You need to have a bit of patience with your wiring--it looks like I did it (and thats not a compliment). If you don't have the patience, learn some, or find someone who can do it for you.

I can deliver the proper tranny housing to Summit Point for you to pick up sometime so you can have 3 motor mounts and a properly attached shift linkage.

The amount of "little things" you would have to contend with when building a new Focus or Civic would be EXPONENTIALLY MORE tiring, tedious, and expensive than what needs fixing on your golf. In the end, you would have what is likely a LESS COMPETITIVE car with less $$$ in your wallet...

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 11:27AM by Josh Wimpey.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 25, 2008 02:43PM
Fawk it. You are right Josh, after seeing times for the Burress's at Doowops i am inspired and will keep the car for now.

Oscar

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 25, 2008 03:01PM
turoc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fawk it. You are right Josh, after seeing times
> for the Burress's at Doowops i am inspired and
> will keep the car for now.
>
> Oscar

A smart decision, now what's going? What's the latest on the motor you were looking at.

(Psssst, don't ignore the Volvo results, 6 years out of competition, zero practice before hand....)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

February 25, 2008 03:06PM
Ozgur !!!

Rear main needs to be replaced. Flush your engine too while you are at it. That no leak shit we put in was a temporary solution not a permanent repair.

Rakiyi bitirdim bile hehehe, senin serefine de iki kadeh yuvarladim Bulgar beyaz peyniri ve Meksika kavunu esliginde.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 25, 2008 03:19PM
Yarasin Mustafa abi!

The motor will be upgraded to a 2lt. Due to heavy winter/snow last week i was asked to go pick it up when there was less snow coz acces to the yard where the motor sits did not exist. Will pick it up most likely this weekend.

turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 25, 2008 03:24PM
John,
You know i want something like that (merkur or 240) but i think the wise thing at this point is to just fix its and bits and upgrade to a 2lt with proper cams (whats up?any news?) until i get faster! It looks like we will be doing 2 more rallies (RWV and BRS)and 6 or so rally sprints and plenty of practice sessions this year. I have decided this year will be my development year as a driver.

Oscar

SteelSolutions
William Timmins
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
3 xr4ti/74 capri/02 bug eye

February 29, 2008 02:34AM
I Enjoy Honda for the cheep parts and plug and play with tons of power, But there limited suspension is something that would take some thinking to overcome. I am a fan of the type r trany with a limited and short gears. I want to see a good Honda smashing threw the woods. BUT for the cost of the car ill have a xr4ti more than half way done the cars are just dirt. but if I was going Honda why not a hatch or a shell to start from good motors with more power than an si are easy to find or put together your self. like the crv block with a 2.2 lude head makes 200 hp and low compression great for a turbo. don’t quote me but I have to many Honda nut friends good luck o ya if its about cash xr4ti all the way

TSSFAB.US No HYPE just parts!!!! And check us out on Facebook!!!
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 01, 2008 11:02AM
Or you could just use a TSX engine. 2.4l with 200hp stock. New higher compression pistons and good cams and you'll have a 300+hp machine.
krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

March 14, 2008 04:24PM
I'll take one if I can get it for $2k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login